Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 40 Next >>
Topic: OT, a cautionary tale for art collectors (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2007 at 9:56am | IP Logged | 1  

Those emails don't sound so bad. It sounds like she's getting as many excuses as anyone and has no choice but to pass them on. He's telling her when he thinks they'll be done, she's passing it on. Golden is a jerk or irresponsible, but Renee doesn't sound so bad...
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Ray Brady
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2007 at 10:10am | IP Logged | 2  

"Renee doesn't sound so bad..."
-----
I would agree if it weren't for that "I'm not sure why you are upset" line. Well over half a year had passed since Gerry had pre-paid for his commission, and there was still no sign of progress, despite several promises that it was coming soon. How could any thinking human being not be capable of understanding why that would upset someone?

Customer Service 101: NEVER tell your customer that they don't have a right to be upset.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Dave Lee White
Byrne Robotics Member
Fake Name

Posted: 29 July 2007 at 10:13am | IP Logged | 3  

just remebered ive also preordered the Mike golden dvd . . .thats goin to sit on the shelf for a looong time

Send it back.  You can refuse anything as long as it is not opened.
Back to Top profile | search

Matthew Linton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2007 at 10:16am | IP Logged | 4  

QUOTE:
Customer Service 101: NEVER tell your customer that they don't have a right to be upset.

I'm guessing that goes out the window when you have a strict "No refund" policy from the second the money's in your hand.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 July 2007 at 11:32am | IP Logged | 5  

I can't imagine taking money in advance for a job. Any job. Even with the comics, I have what amounts to a superstition about not vouchering until the job is done.

Recently, Jim Warden told me one customer seeking a commission piece insisted on paying in advance, and I was able to convince myself to allow this when Jim told me the guy was afraid if he didn't do that he'd spend the money on something else! I sure know how that feels.

"No Refunds" is also outside the range of my comprehension. Jim and I recently had two or three "dissatisfied customers" in a clump, which may have been nothing more than cluster-group theory at work, or which may have been Byrne Bashers having their laughs. Matters not, either way, since there were others more than willing to buy the pieces. And I assume that as a given, so feel no need for a "No Refunds" policy. (One thing the small cluster did was cause Jim and me to briefly contemplate a non-refundable deposit, but so far we have not felt the need to implement that thought,)

Everybody works differently, of course, and to each his own. But for me, I simply could not take the pressure of having pieces already paid for!

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2007 at 11:39am | IP Logged | 6  

It's no use feeling bad over it Gerry. If you weren't alone in this, it's pretty obvious they're both very aware what kind of "business" they are running. You have nothing to reproach yourself.

Pete York
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2007 at 11:45am | IP Logged | 7  

Again, without knowing specific details, promising delivery by a certain date, failing to perform, then refusing a refund, especially when the item didn't even exist yet (and therefore no worries about being stuck with a personalized commission), this all seems like an obvious breach to me.  

Bill Wiist
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2007 at 11:51am | IP Logged | 8  

I think asking for a non-refundable amount upfront is reasonable. On the other hand, I'd hesitate paying *anyone* the total amount upfront. Especially if what we're talking about isn't a primary source of revenue for them.

I'm like JB in that I'm superstitious about taking money upfront for a commission. I prefer getting paid once I know the job is finished and the customer is happy with it. However, thanks to a few bad apples I've quit operating that way. Now I go with half upfront & half when the job is finished. Then I work like the wind to get it finished ASAP. Can't stand having an unfinished job hanging over my head.

Dave Pruitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2007 at 12:07pm | IP Logged | 9  

That's the way it should be, Bill. Some people seem to feel no pressure at all though, when they've already spent the money they were paid to do a job. Unprofessional behavior, to say the least.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 July 2007 at 12:16pm | IP Logged | 10  

Now I go with half upfront & half when the job is finished. Then I work like the wind to get it finished ASAP. Can't stand having an unfinished job hanging over my head.

••

I don't worry about finishing the job, so much as how long the list can sometimes get to be. I would feel bad taking money up front if I knew I would not be getting to the piece for several months.

John Mietus
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2007 at 12:17pm | IP Logged | 11  

I'm still astounded that after all this time Ed Munoz hasn't even received a
completed convention sketch after paying for it.

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2007 at 12:25pm | IP Logged | 12  

JB wrote: "I can't imagine taking money in advance for a job."

Every artist and agent I have dealt with other than Byrne/Warden has had an explicit pay first and no refund policy.  Luckily I have only had one remotely bad experience but it is a nerve-racking experience.  These transactions are generally done entirely online via e-mail and it seems like it would be very easy to get ripped off.  I think JB's policy is the best and makes sense.  I can see adding a deposit up front if you get a bunch of "fraud" commissioners.

Once again, JB and Jim are the best in the business!

<< Prev Page of 40 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version