Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: May I have your autograph? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 09 July 2007 at 10:09am | IP Logged | 1  

Just one: a handwritten letter sent to me by Lucille Ball shortly she died (I had sent her a get-well card.)
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

David Farley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2007 at 10:10am | IP Logged | 2  

Been getting this book signed for a long time. The highlights are JB, Dick Ayers & Herb Trimpe.

David Farley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2007 at 10:17am | IP Logged | 3  

Also got this from The Man several years ago!

Brendan Howard
Byrne Robotics Member
FAQ Master Supreme

Posted: 09 July 2007 at 10:25am | IP Logged | 4  

Most of my autographs are in a little notebook given to me by a friend with an inscription from Will Eisner, about a year before he passed away. I later took it to a convention in NYC and got signatures and sketches from Walt Simonson, Terry Austin, Jim Starlin, Garcia-Lopez, Gene Colon, and a few others whom I admire.

When I met him, JB was nice enough to sign the second comic I ever owned, a tattered and torn copy of Avengers #187. He also signed copies of Generations 3 #11 for me and a few other Byrne Boarders. I acquired a copy of Captain America #255 from Dave Pruitt with signatures from JB and Roger Stern, which is a nice to have.

When I met Tommy Shaw of Styx, I asked him to sign a CD of his first solo album, Girls With Guns. He seemed genuinely surprised that anyone owned that record, especially on CD!

I have also picked up a few autographed items from eBay: George Perez's signature on Avengers #200, JB's signature on Alpha Flight #1, and JB's autograph on each of the first 17 issues of Next Men. I can't be 100% sure that the autographs are legit, but I didn't pay much of a premium for them and they look nifty!

Brian Talley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2007 at 10:31am | IP Logged | 5  

Joe.....thanks for the kind words. Here's what happened....

• Rickles, Alexander, and the ST:TNG cards were all obtained through the mail
  • The Vick hard hat was obtained at a personal appearance he made at a local mall soon after he was drafted by the Falcons. I wanted something different to take and I saw the hard hat in an industrial supply store the day before. Vick seemed surprised to see it, and got a kick out of it.
  • The Seinfeld cover I got at Chrysler Hall in Norfolk a few years ago. It was in early February and with the wind chill, it was about 10 degees outside. He didn't sign going into the theatre, and was doing two shows. So after about three and a half hours, and the loss of feeling in my toes, he came out to head to the airport, the handfull of us who were waiting called out to him, and he turned and signed for everyone.
  • The Cosby Jell-O box was at the same venue. He arrived in his limo (riding in the front seat), got out and had a security person gather up the items that people wanted signed, went inside, signed them, and had the security officer bring them back out. He also signed one of his albums (thats a flat black thing that you could play on something called a "phonograph" tor you kids) for me.
  • The copies of LAB RATS were obtained at MOC in 2004. The guy who signed them was eating a puppy at the time.
  • The Bush signed TIME was obtained at a Republican rally (I felt SO out of place) in Newport News at the airport about six months before he was elected to his first term. He got off of his plane, went into his pocket and pulled out a Sharpie, and went down the line signing books, magazines and other things for folks.
  • The Ali story I've told here before. He was appearing at one of those rent-to-own clip joints probably at least 25 years ago. I showed him the book and he went into full bore, shouting "Look at this....I whupped Superman....I whupped him!!" He was having a blast with it, and the crowd ate it up. I posted a pic here earlier as well. I'm not on my home computer, or I would post it again.

And David, I have done the same thing with my Marvel and DC coffee table books.

Edited by Brian Talley on 09 July 2007 at 10:33am
Back to Top profile | search

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2007 at 10:39am | IP Logged | 6  

A good autograph story from when I was about 12 years old...The Cincinnati Bengals used to have summer camp in my hometown.  I had a friend who lived within walking distance of their practive facility.  My friend and I walked to their practice and proved that if you act like you know what you're doing people will usually not question you.  We walked through a chain link fence out onto the practice field.  There were bleachers set up for "normal people" to watch practice.  When practice ended we were right there as they walked out and I got Boomer Esiason and Anthony Munoz to sign a note pad for me.  My friend and I then proceeded to follow the Bengals into their locker room!  No one said anything to us!  In the locker room I got David Fulcher and Sam Wyche to also sign my note pad.  Then we left!  Ha!

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2007 at 10:42am | IP Logged | 7  

Cool Christmas present* but I never actually met Bobby:

* This is one of those "album" things Brian mentioned in his post above.

Edited by Joe Hollon on 09 July 2007 at 10:53am

David Farley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2007 at 10:45am | IP Logged | 8  

Joe, My little brother used to go to the Bengals camp every summer. We live 10 miles east. Small world.

Gregory Dickens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2007 at 11:27am | IP Logged | 9  

How did you get Tom Selleck, Gregory? That's really cool.

I wrote to him via the Magnum PI show, probably via the network. TV Guide used to run the network addresses so readers could write to the various stars.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 09 July 2007 at 11:33am | IP Logged | 10  

Greg, Shooter was just launching Defiant when he signed the book for me. Claremont's autograph is interesting as well. He wrote 74 and 91 in his sig. This was to show how long he worked on X-Men. At the time he told me mutants were no longer cool and I should start reading Sovereign (sp) Seven.

I met Muhammad Ali on three occassions. This was from the only time I got an autograph from "The Greatest".

Kirk Melton III
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2007 at 11:47am | IP Logged | 11  

About one month ago, I got Mister Miracle 24 signed by the art team:

M. Golden and Russ Heath who were at Super Con on the same day.

I bought a print of Micronauts 12 that MG signed and he signed about 20 other items for me.

I keep my wish lists small but this was a major coup for me since I've been following his work for over 25 years. I'd never ever thought I'd meet him.

More to come...

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 09 July 2007 at 12:02pm | IP Logged | 12  

If any of you are fans of horror films (I know Robert K. is.) Here are two of my favorite horror related autographs.

I went to a horror convention and had Director Herschell Gordon Lewis and Playboy Playmate/Actress Connie Mason sign my DVD, of what many call the first "gore" film, Blood Feast. Lewis was a very nice guy. He was shocked that people still watched his movies after all these years.

Director Wes Craven gave a speech about film making in Cleveland a few years ago. After he was done speaking, he took pictures and signed for the few of us that stuck around. Amazing that a man who makes such demented films, turned out to be one of the most gracious and nice celebrities I've ever met.

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version