Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 20 Next >>
Topic: Aw geez! No wonder people think you’re a wimp, Aquaman! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2007 at 10:54am | IP Logged | 1  

I loved Aquaman as a kid (possibly because I was a blue-eyed blond-haired kid) and still remember with great fondness the Aquaman costume either my mother or grandmother made me one year for Halloween that was spot on.
Back to Top profile | search

Ron Chevrier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2007 at 4:48pm | IP Logged | 2  

I am absolutely a fan of  Aquaman. As one of DC's mainstays from the 40's I think he was one of their lowest profile "big guns". How much more beloved would he be if he had been a member of the JSA, for example ? Even Johnny Thunder and Ma Hunkle got to be on the JSA, and their adventures were played strictly for laughs. On the face of it, I accept that an aquatic adventurer might appear limiting in the type of adventures he can have (stupid 1 hour rule!), but the guy is no pushover.

One of my favorite scenes from Adventure comics involves Aquaman going on land to visit the mayor of New Venice. For various reasons, Arthur has experienced a serious decline in popularity with the citizens. As he goes up the the stairs, a couple of kid troublemakers  toss a brick at him because they heard he "ain't nuthin' out of water". Aquaman snatches the brick out of the air and crushes it to powder, stopping only to shoot a stern look to the assembled masses.  That scene made me realise how much potential Aquaman has.

William Lukash
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2007 at 6:49pm | IP Logged | 3  

I suggest reading more of they early Silver Age DC stories.  There is about a 50% chance that there will be no fighting in any given story.  Even when fists were thrown, that part of the story would only take up a page or two at the most.  Now Marvel on the other hand...

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2007 at 6:53pm | IP Logged | 4  

I have to agree with William. In the early Silver-Age, I don't recall a whole lot of Superman punching people. He usually uses some super powers to solve some mystery or predicament that a villain got him in.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2007 at 7:15pm | IP Logged | 5  

This is... odd.

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2007 at 7:15pm | IP Logged | 6  

I've been dying to read good Aquaman stories for most of my life. My affection for the character stems almost entirely from "Super Friends". I never read an Aquaman comic growing up.

Recently I checked out the limited series from the 80s by Giffin and Swan, which was pretty okay. A bit confusing, though. It didn't feel like a story that any reader could jump on and really get into Aquaman.

Maybe this is another Save the Character situation, but there has to be a better line between this preferred version of Arthur Curry and the barbarian stuff from PAD and so on.

Every time I see Aquaman in recent times, there's the desire to Namor him, but he just comes off as a prick instead of a prideful leige.

I think part of the problem is giving Aquaman a reason to kick ass. I grok he is a King, but there's something to be said for Arthur being less tied to Atlantis. I'm afraid I haven't read the PAD version or many versions, but I know that since PAD there's been an utter lack of stability and popularity for the character.

I don't think Aquaman requires anything but grand adventures; however, I'm of the opinion that remaining underwater with the story-telling is not the way to go. I think Aquaman has to be considered a land hero who has significantly enhanced abilities due to his body's design for crushing underwater depths, darkness, and cold. Aquaman should be quite powerful on land; also, he should be more brutish on land, since it isn't his natural environment.

Aquaman has to be forced onto land, for some reason...I'm thinking he's indebted somehow or is protecting an important barrier between land and sea, a series of islands perhaps. I know it sounds strange for a sea character to spend a lot of time Not in the Sea, but most of us alive in the real world don't spend our days and nights in environments "natural" to us, nor are we where we're best, or most comfortable.

Forcing Aquaman out of the sea, but using water almost like his "reward" for his chosen duty to all mankind above and below the waves, would add a dimension to Arthur that would be more workmanlike and less "royal". Wouldn't it?

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2007 at 7:18pm | IP Logged | 7  

http://www.proudrobot.com/hembeck/aquaman2.jpg

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2007 at 7:21pm | IP Logged | 8  

I'm glad Jim Aparo's Aquaman was the one chosen for the postage stamp.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2007 at 7:28pm | IP Logged | 9  

This is interesting...

The image “http://scoop.diamondgalleries.com/news_images/4547_11979_4.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2007 at 7:37pm | IP Logged | 10  

I just read this fun bit of trivia:

"Aquaman's first cover appearance was with the Justice League, nineteen years after he first appeared!"

...and this was the cover...

Edited by Nathan Greno on 21 June 2007 at 7:39pm

Ron Chevrier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2007 at 7:52pm | IP Logged | 11  

I think that Batman was doing his fair share of slugging the thugs (aliens?) around the same time that these Aquaman stories came out. Superman, probably not so much, but at least there was the gimmicky premise that made a typical Superman or Superman Family tale intriguing, if not engaging. The Aquaman stuff ( as represented in this Showcase Edition alone, mind you) is kind of bland by comparison. If there's a 50% chance that no one throws a punch in the other Silver Age books, I daresay the odds go up to 95% against in Aquaman's stories. I'm betting the Volume II stories have a little more zing to them. 

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2007 at 7:56pm | IP Logged | 12  

I think it's cool having heroes solve problems with their wits instead of their fists when the situation calls for it. When dealing with friends or strangers that are passive that's the right way to do it. There should always have fights in super hero comics sure, but there always should be a good reason behind it.

Also, I think it's fair to say most people think of Namor as kind of  "princessy". Depending on writers of course. I thought his portrayal in Busieks and Larsens Defenders was hilarious. :>

<< Prev Page of 20 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version