Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 15 Next >>
Topic: John Romita Jr. Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 May 2007 at 8:17pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I'm making the trek to Adventure Con this weekend (high gas prices be damned) and am looking forward to finally getting to meet JRJr!!

Now I just have to figure out which book I'll have him sign.  I own so many he's done, it'll be a tough choice.  Maybe I'll just have him sign his Anniversary Special book that came out a little bit ago.

Back to Top profile | search

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 May 2007 at 8:49pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Romita Sr. & Jr. are probably my two favorite Spider-Man artists [with apologies to Gil Kane, Ross Andru and Steve Ditko].

You just love to see a guy who takes his work so seriously, yet still obviously enjoys what he does.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 May 2007 at 10:35pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I don't really collect Marvel books anymore - but I'll buy the inevitable HC of World War Hulk for JRjr's work. His Eternals with Gaiman was beautiful.

Romita Jr is, without a doubt, one of the greatest living artists in the comic book field. I'd put his work alongside the greats of all time in terms of skill and appeal. My only issue with him has been brought up already in this thread - he needs to work on some better books with better writers. Every ongoing book he's been on lately, Hulk, Amazing, Black Panter, all started out strong but then got progressively weaker and infinitely less entertaining when he left, not only due to his departure, but because the writers started to really suck.

JMS brought up the questions surrounding the Spider Totem while JRjr was onboard, and if they had only remained that it would have been an intriguing thread to pluck, but he ran it (and Gwen) into the ground after JR left. Jones started the mystery and the manhunt for Banner in Hulk, which was very cool, but quickly wore out it's welcome - and Romita was already gone. Black Panter started out strong, and suddenly went into "why did they bother cancelling Priest's run for this?" territory soon after Romita left.

Really, he's only stuck around for the interesting parts of the... wait. He reads scripts ahead, he probably knows what's going on months in advance... and he leaves the books! That's got to be it! 

Which brings us back to him needing a writer who "gets it" when it comes to superheroes.

Romita on art. JB scripting. Fantastic Four. See to it.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 30 May 2007 at 10:46pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

That Adventure con looks like it covers all the crap I'm into: comics, wrestling and sci-fi. Dave I should have listened to you when we talked in Pittsburgh. This looks like a fun con. Joe Staton is an artist I'd love to meet. Plus resident JBF stars Andy and Keith will be there as well. Is it too early to start planning a list on who is going to the Chicago Con this year?

Brian, you should seriously try to go. If JRJr is sketching he generally doesn't charge. The one I posted was a freebie that probably didn't take five mintues of his time.

Jeremiah Hetherington
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 May 2007 at 11:50pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Romita, Jr.: "And I make sure I have reference on hospitals, because that's something that's always been a weakness of mine, how to draw a really good hospital room."

This subject has been well-covered here! I was impressed by this quote. Good to see one of the greats concered with how to draw the world and not just characters.

Soren Hjortkær
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2007 at 12:12am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Romita on art. JB scripting. Fantastic Four. See to it

That would get me to buying monthly comics again....

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2007 at 12:29am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I really wish I could find the interview here JRjr noted that working with JB and Frank Miller were amongst his favorite experiences, since they both gave him a great deal of leeway in telling the story his way.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2007 at 1:39am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Brian, you should seriously try to go. If JRJr is sketching he generally doesn't charge. The one I posted was a freebie that probably didn't take five mintues of his time.

++++++++++++++++++++++++
I may go, then. I'm unemployed at the moment (and have a bad back, to boot, so that limits what kind of jobs I can do) and something I ordered from my local LCS came in and cost a little more than it was supposed to originally, so that's why I'm strapped for cash. If I go, I'll only have about $12-12 bucks after paying for the ticket, so you can see why I'm a bit wary.

Not sure which day I'll be going (I've got a friend who is going but I don't know which day and I'll probably try and catch a ride with him), but if it is Saturday, look for a guy with a mustache and possibly a lot of stubble, wearing a polo shirt, jeans and either a tan Kenny Chesney baseball cap or a black pinstripe fedora.  That'll be me.

And Paul, Adventurecon is like that every year. I didn't go last year, either (wasn't really anyone I really wanted to see), but they had Ray Park appear and he did a double lightsaber demonstration (there are clips on youtube, but its cut up into something like 3-4 parts, I think). TNA sent a few people last year, but I can't remember who besides Traci Brooks. (A friend of mine went and got her autograph)

Part one of the Ray Park double lightsaber demonstration from last year's convention:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GP9FlSqaqSI

The last decent convention I went to was the last Tenncon (a gaming convention) a few years ago, but they quit holding them. It was really great, though, because I set in on a Gamma World game run by Jim Ward and got his autograph on one of my AD&D game books.

*probably a dumb question, but....do I bring my own sketchbook, or what? (Keep in mind when I attended comic conventions in the past, the artists didn't do anything except sign autographs and sell original art)

edit: Anyone who calls EITHER Romita a hack seriously needs an eye examination and a mental evaluation. I hear Bill Engvall may even have a sign for them.......

Edited by Brian Floyd on 31 May 2007 at 1:40am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2007 at 8:08am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

QUOTE:
JR JR made those books better. The Ultimate Vision was okay,nothing
to write home about. The Cap book I actually really liked and JR JR made it
that much better. Spider-Man...well...the Totem stuff was lame and I
thought with the beginning of their run that JMS and JR JR would be
great...then it got not good.

Agreed about the JMS Spider-Man run, at least the initial arc. The premise is
faulty, but JRJR made those issues entertaining. His artwork on the JMS run
was arguably some of his best.

Darragh Greene
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2007 at 8:21am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

How is World War Hulk? I haven't read any Hulk since my return to comics
a year ago. He's not a character I've ever followed steadily unless he's
written by a favorite like JB or someone. I'm thinking about checking it
out for the Romita art, but don't want to bother if the story sucks.

Any opinions?

The series itself has not started yet but some tie-in issues and a prologue
special are already out. I haven't read them yet so I can't really judge. It
does look exciting, though.

I've been reading The Incredible Hulk, and everything's set for Hulk
to beat the snot out of everyone in the coming months. Hulk
smash! What more could you want?

Some preview pages:
http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=10590

Edited by Darragh Greene on 31 May 2007 at 8:25am

David Parker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2007 at 8:37am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

QUOTE:
But I try to go to the gym 3 or 4 times a week

That's why he's Marvel's first and only "Hunk of the Month."

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2007 at 9:01am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

This issue made me a Marvel Comics fan. I recall reading it over and over again on a summer field trip to New York City in 1987:

Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 15 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version