Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Music
Byrne Robotics > Music Page of 161 Next >>
Topic: The Genesis Thread Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 March 2007 at 12:23pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

After re-watching their 1992 Knebworth concert this morning, I thought it'd be fun to have a new GENERAL thread for Genesis fans (as opposed to the reunion thread last year) ... so ...

1.  How did you get into Genesis?  What was the first album/song that caught your attention? 

2.  Three decades on, what are your favorite albums/tracks?

3.  Did you ever see the band live?  What tours/shows/etc.?  Favorites?

4.  And since we're all lovers of the visual medium as well, what are your favorite Genesis album covers, gatefolds, etc.?

Back to Top profile | search

Corey Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 March 2007 at 4:53pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

1) Invisible Touch was the first album I bought...I think it was the great "Land of Confusion" video that initially got me interested in them.

2) I have to say my favorite album is probably "The Land Lies Down On Broadway." As "concept" albums go, I think it's probably one of the best ever. Favorite track? "Mama" is pretty cool. I'm really into industrial, and I know of at least two artists who have sample Collins drum machine riff for their songs.

3) Unfortunately I have never gotten to see them live.

4) Again, The Lamb has a pretty awesome album cover for pre-photoshop era. Wind and Wuthering has a very beautiful one as well.

Trevor Krysak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 March 2007 at 7:46pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

1.  How did you get into Genesis?  What was the first album/song that caught your attention?

I grew up in the 80s. They were everywhere when I was younger. I got to know them from the song "Illegal Alien"

"Turn It On Again", "Congo", "Keep It Dark" "Home By The Sea"

Sadly no.

4.  And since we're all lovers of the visual medium as well, what are your favorite Genesis album covers, gatefolds, etc.?

Abacab

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 March 2007 at 10:11pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I was at the library and picked up their live "The Longs" CD.  What I like about Benesis is they have this pop-band thing going, but at the same time they can be very artistic.

The first Genesis I remember is "That's All".  It was on MTV all the time around the time i first got MTV.

I like their last Phil Collins album...but i don't actually own any of their stuff.  My brother was big into them so I used to just listen to his CDs and (ahem) Records.  The last one with Collins showed that great comination of pop hits and "Driving the Last Spike" is great.

My brother's seen them live...but I never have.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 March 2007 at 12:01am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

http://www.genesis-music.com/main.htm

US Tour dates soon to be announced.

Jim Yingst
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 March 2007 at 6:16am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

1)  I guess I'd heard various early pop hits
 on the radio over the years: Follow You, Follow Me, Misunderstanding, No Reply At All.  But it was when the eponymous album (and That's All) came out that I really became aware of who they were.  Eventually I discovered the earlier stuff and liked it better.

2) Albums: Foxtrot, Selling England By The Pound, A Trick of the Tail.  Tracks: Supper's Ready, Cinema Show, Squonk, Duke's End. 

3) No.

4)  Hm, I never paid much attention to the album covers.  I suppose "...And Then There Were Three".

In other news, more details about the 5.1 releases are available:

http://www.genesis-news.com/genesis/reviews/sacds/index.htm

They look a bit pricey (though we don't yet know the US prices), but I'll probably get all the earlier stuff at least.  If the 5.1 mix sounds sufficiently improved, I'll probably get all of them eventually.
Back to Top profile | search | email

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 March 2007 at 9:03am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Hey, me not answer kwestions gud last night (a bit of a pain in me gulliver).

My brother bought the "Misunderstanding" single.  I hated it.  He played it all the time.  MAN did I hate that song.  Then I heard a song called "I Missed Again".  I hated it.  Didn't know it was the same singer, let alone the same drummer.  I just hated it.

Then I heard "In The Air Tonight" and quickly loved it.  Then I got the album Face Value (My very first album, incidentally.) and started to learn a little bit about this Phil Collins fellow.  A bit later Abacab came out and I was hooked.  Over the next few years I picked up Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot, and Genesis.  Loved them all - hard to believe it was the same band!  Of course, in many ways it wasn't.  Then came The Day for me as a Genesis fan.  I was at Target and came across the following cassettes for sale dirt cheap: A Trick of The Tail, Wind and Wuthering, ...And Then There Were Three..., and Duke.  They didn't even have any of the ones I already had - it felt like manna!  My last two purchases were Selling England by the Pound and The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway.  Then it was imports and bootlegs.

Albums: Nursery Cryme, Selling England by the Pound, and Duke
Songs: "The Battle of Epping Forest" (my favorite song, period), "The Musical Box", "Supper's Ready". "Carpet Crawlers", "A Man of Our Times" (GREAT GREAT SONG), "Dodo/Lurker", "Silver Rainbow", & "Do the Neurotic"

Never had the pleasure.  I don't like crowds, and for some reason when I meet people of similar interests, I get a little creeped out sometimes by their devotion.

Well, the Paul Whitehead covers are just genius.  For the same reason (thematic art that evokes the album lyrics/content) I love A Trick of the Tail.  I guess I like ALL the covers until the latest Genesis font with the backwards lettering.  My best friend growing up had trouble with that (I don't THINK it was dyslexia per se) and seeing his handwriting made me very sad.  I can't escape the connection.

Greg Kirkpatrick
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 March 2007 at 11:12am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I really remember actually knowing who they were with the Genesis album. That was when MTV was soaring (and actually played music).  I picked up that lp and ran it ragged.  I had heard the earlier stuff, Abacab, Misunderstanding etc, but didn't know who really sang them until after this ablum.  And who knows how long until I found out the guy who sang Shock the Monkey and Sledgehammer was the lead singer before Phil Collins. "Peter Gabriel? Really?"

I still hold a special place for that Genesis album.  Home by the Seas and pt 2 I played over and over.  I think Lonely Man on The Corner is my all-time favorite tune.

No, never saw 'em live and with ticket prices what they are I probably won't ever.

Brian Tait
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 March 2007 at 4:20pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

First song I'd ever heard was Follow you, Follow Me on the radio, but I didn't know who the band was. A friend made me sit down and listen to A Trick of the Tail. That was it for me.

Albums-

A Trick Of The Tail, Selling England By The Pound, and Wind and Wuthering are standouts for me. Parts of Duke are really good and oddly enough (and a point of debate all on it's own) Calling All Stations.

Songs-

Mad Man Moon, Firth of Fifth, One For The Vine, Carpet Crawlers, Squonk, Ripples, Duke's Travels/Duke's End. I could go on and on.

Nope, never, and even if I could, I don't know if I'd bother now. I'm one of those opinionated older fans who don't have much love for the "newer" post-Duke material.

A Trick Of The Tail, Foxtrot and Nursery Cryme.

Brian Tait
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2007 at 7:36pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Aaaaannnddd...

Here are the North American Tour dates:

Sep 07, 2007 Toronto ON CA BMO Field
Sep 11, 2007 Boston MA US TD Banknorth Garden
Sep 14. 2007 MONTREAL, QC Olympic Stadium
Sep 16, 2007 Hartford CT US Hartford Civic Center
Sep 18, 2007 Philadelphia PA US Wachovia Center
Sep 22, 2007 Columbus OH US Nationwide Arena
Sep 23, 2007 Washington DC US Verizon Center
Sep 27, 2007 East Rutherford NJ US Giants Stadium
Sep 29, 2007 Cleveland OH US Quicken Loans Arena
Sep 30, 2007 Detroit MI US Palace of Auburn Hills
Oct 02, 2007 Chicago IL US United Center
Oct 09, 2007 San Jose CA US HP Pavilion
Oct 12, 2007 Los Angeles CA US Hollywood Bowl

Anybody west of Toronto or in the southern US feel a little left out?

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2007 at 8:08pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Cleveland on my birthday.  Holy crap I might have to lay down the $$ for that.

Aki Himmanen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2007 at 4:35am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

1. I really 'got' into Genesis when I bought "Trespass" at a sale along with a bunch of other albums several years ago. Obviously I'd been aware of their later stuff throughout the 80s and 90s. I'd heard good things about their Gabriel-era stuff, but hadn't bothered to check it out. "Stagnation" was the track on that album that convinced me this was really good stuff.

2. Favourite album: Selling England by the Pound. Favourite tracks: "Stagnation", "The Musical Box", "Supper's Ready", "Firth of Fifth", "Mad Man Moon".

3. No. Nor am I going to see them live now, even though they're coming to Helsinki, since it's the Collins-Banks-Rutherford line-up (and I seem to recall they said they weren't going to do any of the 'long' songs. I have to assume that doesn't leave out the possibility of inane extended jams on their later stuff...)

4. The Selling England by the Pound cover is my favourite.

Back to Top profile | search | www | email

Gene Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2007 at 6:32pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Aki -

During the November press conference, it sounded like we could expect instrumental medleys of older material.

Gene Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2007 at 6:42pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

My high school friends and I decided to go see them in 1978, even though we'd never heard their music - we just wanted to go to a concert, really.  I bought Seconds Out, and was converted to a fan by the opening Dm7 chord of Squonk.

Seconds Out remains my favorite album, and I love every track on it.  Other favorites off the top of my head: Eleventh Earl of Mar & Blood on the Rooftops, Dancing with The Moonlit Knight, Ripples, Entangled, Please Don't AskDown and Out, Dodo, Home by the Sea ... yeesh, I should stop now ...

I saw them on the And Then There Were Three, Abacab, Three Sides Live and Mama tours.

The A Trick of the Tail and Seconds Out gatefolds still blow me away ... I pretty much like all the covers except for Genesis and Invisible Touch (yuck).

Aki Himmanen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2007 at 3:19pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Gene Best wrote:
During the November press conference, it sounded like we could expect instrumental medleys of older material.

Oh, well. It's still not the Genesis I love, without Gabriel and Hackett, so I don't think I'll bother...
Back to Top profile | search | www | email

Gene Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2007 at 8:56pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Oh, well. It's still not the Genesis I love, without Gabriel and Hackett, so I don't think I'll bother...

I can appreciate that ... although that band hasn't existed in 30 years.  :)

Personally, I just kinda think of them as three different bands. 

(Four, if you count Calling All Stations, which I don't.  LOL)

Brian Tait
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2007 at 6:05pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Calling All Stations, technically shouldn't have been called a Genesis album.
Having said that though, musically it was their most challenging album since Duke.
Some lousy production also hurt it.
Too many songs with premature fade outs made for a rough album.

What might have been..

Jim Yingst
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2007 at 8:20pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

"technically shouldn't have been called a Genesis album"?  How's that?  Seems like they had just as much right to call themselves that as other post-Gabriel incarnations did.

Edited by Jim Yingst on 12 March 2007 at 8:22pm

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 March 2007 at 1:27am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

post-Gabriel?!?!?  I'm hardcore, fella - try post-Phillips!  :)

It was Banks and Rutherford left after Collins departed.  They were the only people left of what was left of Genesis who wanted to be called Genesis, and therefore they were.  The great thing about Genesis is they didn't go the Pink Floyd lawsuit route.  They just had a better dynamic despite also being teddibly English (the first person I ever heard use the term anal-retentive was Peter Gabriel describing the bottled up emotions of English public (private) schoolers).

I'd argue Calling All Stations sounded more like Genesis than Invisible Touch or We Can't Dance - but Genesis has been through so many permutations stylistically and thematically that we could dance that dance forever.

I sometimes have to laugh at people who say things like "Man, I was into Metallica, but they sold out, man!"

Brian Tait
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 March 2007 at 2:15pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Genesis is Tony Banks and Mike Rutherford. The only two members never to leave the band. They can call themselves Genesis if they want.

What I meant by "it shouldn't have been called a Genesis album", is that if they thought that the general public were going to rush out and get CAS as soon as it hit the racks, because it said Genesis on the cover they were deluding themselves.

When Phil left so did the bulk of the fans.
If the group name had been different, or it had been released as some sort of solo project it may have been better recieved.

Through the late eighties and early nineties the band rode the success of Phil's solo career. Like it or not, much of the music could have been on either a Collins album or a Genesis album. The only way to tell was by the very distinctive Banks keyboard sound.

Gene Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 March 2007 at 3:00pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

I'd argue Calling All Stations sounded more like Genesis than Invisible Touch or We Can't Dance

If Genesis message boards and forums are any indication, most fans seem to concur - but that same majority dismiss the album as almost non-canonical.

Personally, I think that if CAS had NOT been called a Genesis album, it would've done much better.  But given that is was, the compositions were just way too pedistrian for the burden that album carried.  They needed to deliver an incredible album of Trick of the Tail magnitude like they did the last time they lost the face of their band.

I'll pull out CAS once every year and half to see if it's grown on me.  Still hasn't.

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 March 2007 at 3:58pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Whenever I listen to it I find myself thinking "Needs a drummer".  Same thing as the last Collins solo LP!  Some of the songs are great, though.  I love "Uncertain Weather" - Wilson's voice is haunting.

Brian, your clarification is very helpful.  As my friend and fellow Genesis fan said when CAS came out: "This is bad.  Their fan base is GONE."  We agreed that the band had profitted much by Phil's solo success, but the long downtimes between albums and tours had put them in a sort of limbo waiting room - and once Phil left, they were able to enter actual limbo as many fans were not going to stay.

Brian Tait
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 March 2007 at 7:19pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

I never really gave the drums on CAS much thought Kevin but you're right. They're there, but they're not there. Say what you will about Collins, he is (was) a fantastic drummer.

Brian Tait
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 March 2007 at 7:26pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Y'know, here's another thought.
The one thing I alway noticed post-Duke was the lack of a real guitarist. After Steve left there was no-one there to push the band forward into a musical direction. All the other elements were there, but there was no distinctive, driving guitar voice to bring it all together.

With the exception of Collins on vocals, for some reason when somebody left, they didn't replace them within the band. Obviously, they did for touring purposes, but they were never considered "official" band members.

One of the main reasons Chester Thompson didn't play on CAS was because he wanted to officially "join" the band to have artistic input during the writing phase, and the guys said no.

Anybody have any input into why they took this attitude? 
It probably hurt them in the long run.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 March 2007 at 7:49pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

I kinda dig the Collins years. Haven't even tried to start on the Gabriel stuff. So much, so little time...

My favorite tracks are "Land of Confusion" and "Mama".

Page of 161 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version