Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Sports Talk
Byrne Robotics > Sports Talk Page of 229 Next >>
Topic: The Squared Circle Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2007 at 12:08am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I don't know how many of you out there watch "Hogan Knows Best," but in the last episode Hogan signed a new 20 year contract with the WWE.  The man is 54.

20 more years!

Part of me wants to be excited about this, but moreso I find it a bit sad.  This would have been alot cooler, say, ten years ago.  I could see Hogan going into his 60's...but 74?!?  Let's hope this deal includes alot of time behind the microphone.

Any thoughts?

Edited by Brad Teschner on 15 May 2010 at 10:33pm
Back to Top profile | search

Sam Karns
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2007 at 12:13am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

THE GOD OF WRESTLING, is BACK...  All we need now is Hall and Nash.  That would be just too...

Greg Kirkpatrick
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2007 at 8:46am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

20 more years is mind-boggling.  As is the fact that he is only 54 years old.  The Return of Thunder Lips!

Trevor Krysak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2007 at 9:42am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Maybe he can get Mr. T to assist him again. It'd be like the 80s all over again.

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2007 at 10:47am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

How did they make the Rocky Balboa movie without a Thunder Lips cameo!!!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Greg Kirkpatrick
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2007 at 11:23am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

How did they make the Rocky Balboa movie without a Thunder Lips cameo!!!

They made it good.

John Griggs Jr
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2007 at 11:32am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

He's not under contract with WWE the last time I checked.

Sam Karns
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2007 at 11:39am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I guess his reality show is going quite well?

Not too interested in his daughter, Brooke, career.  I don't think she that good of a singer.  His son has a desire for a NASCAR career.  Boy, it's funny how GOW's kids want these crash and burn careers...  finance through The God Of Wrestling himself.

I remember when he got his kids a job at a resturaunt...  very funny stuff.  Serious I think they should've kept the job because it grounds them a little on how blessed they truly are to have a father who's well secured.

Brad Teschner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2007 at 4:06pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

He's not under contract with WWE the last time I checked.

The show was filmed around the time of SummerSlam...just afterwards.  Vince has a short talk with Hulk after the event and then Hogan flies to WWE Headquarters shortly after to iron out the details.  Vince wants Hulk to be the "Babe Ruth of wrestling."

Sucks that Hogan quotes money and his family's ability to spend it as a motivator for taking the deal.  It's obvious, though, when you watch the show the guy would wrestle for another 50 years if he could.

Corey Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2007 at 10:54am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Well, to be fair the guy's moveset is not terribly strenuous...boot to the face, leg drop and body slam? I can't think of anything else!

Hulk deserves it though. He's certainly done more than anybody to popularize pro wrestling.

Sam Karns
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2007 at 2:52pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Heck!  Flair is still wrestling.  Why can't the GOW?

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 22 February 2007 at 6:28pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Hogan's reality show is more of a work than Monday Night Raw. I doubt very much Vince would sign him for a twenty year deal this late in his career. The last time Vince gave out one of those long-term contracts it ended with disaster for Bret Hart.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2007 at 7:06pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Hogan has said in a few different interviews that he didn't sign the 20 year contract.
He appears on the Bubba the Love Sponge radio show, which I don't listen to, every once in a while, and someone at another board I visit posts watered down transcripts.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brad Teschner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2007 at 11:41pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

I'm actually releived to hear he didn't sign the deal.  I'd hate to see the guy limping off into the sunset barely able to rip that t-shirt off his chest.  Thanks for clearing things up, Brian!

Sam Karns
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2007 at 6:00pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

I'm sure he'll make some kind of return to wrestling?

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2007 at 7:45pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Probably, Sam, but I think it'll have to be something major, like the Austin-Hogan match that was rumored to be in the works for a long time but will probably never happen.

Hogan's knee and hip are pretty much shot, so I'd say he's probably only got maybe one or two matches left in him, and the Legdrop has nothing to do with it; its all about mobility.

I'd like to see him do one last match in Japan before he retires, since he usually doesn't finish matches with the Legdrop in Japan and actually busts out some real wrestling moves instead of just brawling tactics when he's over there.

(Hogan usually uses the Axe Bomber as his finisher in Japan, and he's busted out an armbar and a few other wrestling moves in matches there - check out his match with Great Muta from `93 if you haven't seen it, for instance)

Kevin Pierce
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2007 at 8:37pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

I would have liked to see Hogan VS Austin, WWE could have put that together before Austin had to stop because of this neck. Hogan would make a good ring annoucer.

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 12 March 2007 at 10:16pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Austin hates Hogan for never giving him a series of promised matches when he was in WCW. Austin has made several statements claiming he wouln't put Hogan over. Hogan's too old to lose any more matches if he wants to be viable for other comeback bouts. Plus the egomaniac never liked putting anyone over in his prime. I doubt this match will ever happen.

Sam Karns
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2007 at 1:06pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Paul, Austin was already in ECW when Hogan was hired to perform in WCW.  Soon after Austin left WWF mini camp ala ECW and was full on attraction in the WWF fighting Brett Hart.  Austin is an envious troll.  He needs to get his facts straight.  Hogan is the biggest attraction that ever lived in Wrestling Entertainment, I don't think it would have been proper to pass the torch to a hillbilly, redneck who drinks beer, curse and acts like a hooligan.  Hogan was right to do what he did--if it ever happened.

The person Hogan so - called passed the torch to was Randy Savage and then after The Ultimate Warrior.  Two guys who could never fit into Hogans shoes.  But Hogan did pass the torch to The Rock in Sky Dome but unfortunately or Fortunately The Rock developed a real movie career than Vince' new muppet John Cena.  I think this hoodlum hero act is disrespectful to the audience and braindamage to the kids.  They deserve better role models and thugs like Austin and Cena needs to be stomped out.

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 17 March 2007 at 3:27pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Sam, I know we'll never agree about the Hulkster. But when Hogan entered WCW Austin was the United States champion. A series of number one contender (which the U.S. champ was back then) matches were promised to Austin but then given to Vader. Hogan's camp had Jim Duggan beat Austin for the U.S. title then gave the belt to Vader so he could challenge Hulk. Then Austin was fired from WCW and the rest is history.

BTW, Austin holds the record for the wrestler generating the most ticket sales and money in one years time.

Sam Karns
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2007 at 4:07pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Stunning Steve Austin wasn't even popular and the bigger ticket was against Vader.  I forgot about that fact, Paul, sorry about that.  You know I truly forgot you were not a fan of the GOW.  It's the topic we butt heads in.  Well 99 out of 100 is not bad in my book. 

I'm too much under his shadow to see it openly I must admit.  Think the world of him.  Too much vitamins and saying my prayers? Huh? 

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 March 2007 at 1:40am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Just curious, but have you ever seen any of Hogan's matches in Japan? I'm talking older stuff, like early 90s and before. Hogan actually wrestled over there, believe it or not!

As for Steve Austin....

Pre-Stone Cold, Austin was pretty much mainly known as a tag team wrestler and for the few matches he had in ECW. Him not getting the rub in WCW was somewhat justified, although he could have easily been built up into a believable contender if given a chance and a decent finisher instead of the Stun Gun.

You could say Austin ripped off a lot of his gimmick from the time he was in ECW, anyway; Before Austin, Sandman was just about the only wrestler who drank beer a lot as part of their gimmick, and the Stone Cold Stunner is also Mikey Whipwreck's Whippersnapper.

I will say this, though; before the infamous botched piledriver, Austin was a fairly good technical wrestler, and was better in the ring than the Rock, in my opinion. I can only imagine what his career would have been like if the botched piledriver and other injuries hadn't happened.

I used to have an Austin match  vs. Keiji Mutoh (that's Great Muta without the facepaint and mist - Masks and mist as Muta now) in Japan on my computer that was pretty darn good. Not sure when it took place, but it was pre-WWF.

Edited by Brian Floyd on 18 March 2007 at 1:42am

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 18 March 2007 at 10:54am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Austin was one of the better singles wrestlers during his time in WCW. His run as TV and U.S. champ were a lot longer than his run with Pillman as The Hollywood Blondes. The guy had good matches with Ricky Steamboat, Dustin Rhodes, Bobby Eaton and Barry Whindham. He and Rick Rude were the two singles "stars" of the Dangerous Alliance. He was the next guy to get the big run at Ric Flair before Hogan came in. So it made sense to give him a run at Hogan. I don't think anyone looking to face Hogan is looking for the win, just the rub and a bigger payday. Outside of Vader and Flair, Austin was the biggest heel in WCW at the time. I can see where his bitterness would come from not getting that spot.

Austin openly admits he stole the Sandman's gimmick when he was in ECW. The Muto match was during his WCW run. He and Arn Anderson wrestled quite frequently in Japan during the early 90's.

Brian, I have seen some of Hogan's matches in Japan. Against Inoki and Hansen. I think Hogan worked better there because he wasn't the top guy who dictated how the matches were paced. He had to earn his top spot overseas. In WWF and WCW he had complete control (for most of his career) on not only how his matches should be done, but to make sure no one on the undercard outshined him. The quick disappearances of certain wrestlers who looked better than he (Steamboat comes to mind) are one of many reasons I've never been a Hulkamaniac. But I won't say anymore because I don't want to crush Sam's love for a hero.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 March 2007 at 1:32pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

I know Austin and Arn Anderson wrestled in Japan in the early 90's. I meant that I didn't know what year it was from or what event. I *should* have said pre-ECW or WWF, since he didn't have long hair in the match.....

Paul, if you haven't seen it and can find it, check out Hogan's match vs. Muta in Japan in `93. Its a fairly good match, despite him only doing a few actual wrestling moves (such as an armbar) in it. I've seen the match vs. Hansen, but its been a while, and I *still* haven't seen the match vs. Inoki, despite it being legendary (and the reason why the Lariat is seen as a deadly move in Japan.....).

(Btw, I like to refer to myself as a recovering Hulkamaniac; I still pop whenever I hear "Real American", but his backstage politics leave a sour taste in my mouth.)

I'm pretty much over American wrestling right now, anyway. I've been downloading and watching a lot of Japanese matches, including some Joshi stuff. (Pretty much legal, since its not available commercially in the .U.S.)

Edited by Brian Floyd on 18 March 2007 at 1:33pm

Sam Karns
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2007 at 11:20am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

But I won't say anymore because I don't want to crush Sam's love for a hero.

Man, your too cool.  Paul, you can say as much as you like about the GOW.  Obviously there are things that occur when someone is the top dog, but as the old saying is, THAT's ENTERTAINMENT.  That's the business, and in this business the top dog has demands he earned and some may not like.  This kind of remind me of the disgruntled and very unprofessional Star Trek cast members dishing their dirt about William Shatner.

The point is Stars get threatened when someone is attempting to piss on their pool.  Quite frankly, I don't think Stunning Steve was that good of a personality until Mr. McMahon structured his personality to be like Sandman.  At that point Vince was spawning his anti-hogan movement and made good guys like Brett Hart into a hunted animal.  Austin could have done something to help through the those bad times but he didn't--that's business.  Performance shows and if Austin had it then, he would have had his shot.  Vader was simply a bigger draw.

I would like to know more about Hogan and his mis doings.  I can handle it, Paul, I honestly see you as a friend. 

Page of 229 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version