Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Sports Talk
Byrne Robotics > Sports Talk << Prev Page of 222
Topic: The Squared Circle Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 May 2017 at 9:30pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I read the results, and quite frankly I'd have been disappointed if I had watched it. I'm actually happy with ALL the results, but not the way some of those matches endsd or what happened afterward.

Randy Orton and Bray Wyatt need to stay as far away as possible once the feud is done. I'd even be all for one of them switching brands. Looks like Orton's next feud may be with Jinder Mahal, but making Orton the face in that situation would be a bad idea. Orton is bland and boring as a face. He may have a crowd popping finisher, but I'd rather watch paint dry than hear him cut a promo when he's a face. He's a natural heel, and it comes off as forced when he's a face. (I believe Orton has even done interviews in the past where he's said he prefers being a heel.)

Not happy they decided to turn Cesaro and Sheamus heel. But I'm glad Alexa Bliss defeated Bayley. I don't get what people see in Bayley.

Back to Top profile | search | email

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2017 at 9:29am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Sean Waltman was caught at an airport with cannabis chocolate bars and a bunch of drugs, including marijuana and meth. He could end up doing up to 4 years in prison, because he's also being charged with intent to sell. 

So, X-Pac sucks....at drug smuggling. 

I was hoping he'd got his act together, finally. Would loved to have seen him get a short nostalgia run in the WWE.

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2017 at 4:49pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

"Pretty Boy" Doug Somers passed away.  He was never a name on the national scene but if you see the matches he had when he tagged with "Playboy" Buddy Rose against the young Midnight Rockers in the AWA, it's textbook classic tag team stuff.  Shawn Michaels has given those two guys a lot of credit for leading that program and getting them over.

Back to Top profile | search

Tim Cousar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2017 at 5:31pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Not a big name, no, but Somers did get a lot of exposure on ESPN in the late '80s.

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2017 at 11:06am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Wow, a lousy Backlash last night for sure, especially after a pretty great NXT show the night before.   

(SPOILERS for both shows below.)

Nakamura's already just another guy on the roster. His match last night was ok but no different than any other Ziggler match on TV. Nakamura gets an amazing entrance pop, especially last night, but after that, the Smackdown crowds aren't that into him.  With his mannerisms my guess is he'll be in a comedy role sooner than later, which is a shame.

Corbin and Zayn had a by-the-numbers match that firmly established that neither of them are going anywhere.  Corbin was in a place where he might start getting a push but he would need wins for that to happen.  Zayn's a jobber to the stars basically and wins don't do him any good.  

The women's six man was ok, at least the women try and come up with different spots.  The finish didn't seem to really advance anything - if they're trying to push someone closer to Naomi and the title, last night didn't do that at all.  

Owens and Styles will always be in the position to blow a show away.  Last night wasn't quite at that level, although they did some crazy spots and were on pace to steal the show before an a 'booked to show off how clever' we are finish.  Owens still works like a babyface and it keeps him from being a real top heel and I hated that the top rope crusher he hit wasn't a real finish.  Still, no one can touch these two for a match full of high spots.

Harper and Rowan wasn't any good, which is strange, Harper's usually one of the better wrestlers on the card.  It didn't click, which didn't help with their position on the card.  Harper's always close to being over but doesn't seem to get there.

Orton and Mahal was a standard Orton main event.  The crowd was generally into it but Orton only gets reactions for the RKO and that DDT off the ropes spot.  Once he hit that on the jabronis the finish was obvious.  I don't care about Mahal being champion, the bigger question is who is going to work with him to better establish him as a top guy.  Otherwise, he'll just be another Jack Swagger as champions go.  

The NXT show was better.  As much as I don't love the endless high spot style, for that kind of match the UK title match was top drawer.  Roode's a great old school worker who's more deliberate selling-based style is a good contrast to all the high flying everyone else is doing.  The show ending angle with the DIY split was super.  

There really isn't anyone on any of the rosters that I see as becoming a real main event star.  

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 May 2017 at 9:35pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

The problem with Randy Orton is that he's boring. 

He's.....meh...on the microphone, and even worse when they make him a face. He's a natural heel who uses a crowd-popping finisher more appropriate for a face.

JInder Mahal being champ is NOT the way to go. Hopefully he doesn't have a long reign, and it isn't Orton who takes it away from him.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2017 at 3:58pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Monday Night RAW ratings have been in the gutter for weeks. Keep hitting record lows. That can't be good for business in the long term.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2017 at 12:39pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Ratings did bump up a bit this week, after the PPV. With Brock appearing next week, maybe the trend will continue. Hopefully it's a sign that people are buying into Samoa Joe as a top guy and someone people are tuning in to see.

Edited by John Popa on 07 June 2017 at 12:39pm

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2017 at 2:34pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Monday Night RAW ratings have been in the gutter for weeks. Keep hitting record lows. That can't be good for business in the long term.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
I haven't watched RAW for the last two weeks. The previous weeks were a bit of a bore.
```````````````````

Ratings did bump up a bit this week, after the PPV. With Brock appearing next week, maybe the trend will continue. Hopefully it's a sign that people are buying into Samoa Joe as a top guy and someone people are tuning in to see. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~```
I've had no interest in Samoa Joe going back to discovering him in TNA.

Brock Lessner holds no appeal for me. He's very limited as a performer. Which surprises me I expected that he would have a lot in his arsenal. His lack of mic skills doesn't help. I'm also not a fan of a World Champ that doesn't defend his title on a regular basis. 

In my opinion Lessner and Roman Reigns would be more entertaining as muscle for someone else. Reigns thrived as a member of Shield. I was really impressed with him. His going solo has really exposed his weakness. He has no personality and is terrible on the mic. In contrast I didn't think much of Seth Rollins as a Shield member. His solo career proved to me that he is a star. 

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2017 at 11:19am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Since he doesn't wrestle on a regular basis, Lesnar should be a special attraction, ala Andre the Giant. Not a title contender. Put Lesnar up against the bigger wrestlers (Big Show, for example) or in handicap matches, and have him thoroughly dominate the latter.

Reigns just needs a heel turn and someone else writing his promos.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 June 2017 at 7:27am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

FYI.... on the latest Bruce Prichard's "Something To Wrestle" podcast, the discussion is about "Stone Cold" Steve Austin "taking his ball and going home" in the summer of 2002. If you haven't listened, this is THE podcast on behind the scenes topics from the history of wrestling.

-C!

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 July 2017 at 8:22am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

The Observer is reporting that the move to have Reigns face the winner of the Joe/Lesnar match could be a sign of a shift in WrestleMania plans, which have been Reigns/Lesnar since day 1.

The company is seemingly aware that the Joe/Lesnar push is a success, especially for Joe, and they could easily swap him out with Lesnar as a heel champion, especially if the feeling is the ratings drop is due to the champion not being on TV regularly (which is debatable.)

Still, the company tends to not do the Mania main event earlier in the year if they have a plan in place far enough in advance which would seem to say they won't do Lesnar/Reigns at Summer Slam.

Sunday night should be interesting.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2017 at 6:38am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

I am really looking forward to this DVD release:

I had no idea some of those matches existed (to be expected, I guess, given it's a release devoted to unreleased matches). What, Texas Tornado and Warrior took on Rude and Perfect in 1990?

I am confused by one of the matches listed: Bret Hart VS British Bulldog, June 30th, 1992. They fought at SummerSlam '92 in August 1992. It was built up over the summer. Why would they have had a singles match in June? Why didn't I hear about it at the time? Wow, can't wait.

There's also a July 1995 tag team match where Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels team against Jerry Lawler and Hakushi. Wow, Bret and Shawn teamed in the 90s? Again, I didn't know. Why wasn't I aware at the time? I am so excited. It'll be great to see Bret and Shawn working as a team.

Roll on, September. 

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2017 at 6:52am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Fair warning, those were probably TV taping dark matches which means a) the guys may phone it in a bit because those tapings were brutally long and they may have worked two or three times already that night and b) they usually had inconclusive finishes (lots of run ins.)

Still a ton of fun, mind you, but they existed mostly to give people who sat through six hours of squash matches a reason to stick around until the end.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2017 at 7:44am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

True.

I remember reading once how Razor Ramon and Shawn Michaels had many ladder matches at house shows prior to WM X. So when people say there were only two Shawn/Razor ladder matches, well I guess there were more!

Tornado/Warrior VS Rude/Perfect is the most intriguing match.

I'm looking forward to seeing Bret/Michaels work together. 

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2017 at 7:02am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Thoughts on Great Balls of Fire - SPOILERS HEREAFTER

-----

Neville beat Tozawa in a pretty standard match.  Good but not great.  Neville can have great matches but his opponents aren't really over so it doesn't get much heat.  

Wyatt and Rollins opened the main show and were underwhelming.  It wasn't bad but it wasn't up to Rollins' usual standards either.  The finish was Wyatt gave Rollins a thumb to the eye in the ropes which made Rollins vulnerable for the Sister Abigail.  See?  When the heel does something dirty, even if its minor, it gives the feud juice to continue.

Big Cass squashed Enzo.  Enzo came out and gave another great promo before they made a fool out of him.  Felt like a blowoff but Cass feels like a complete waste as a heel.  No reason to split this team up OR turn them, especially with so few babyface tag teams to challenge the heel tag champs.  

Cesaro & Sheamus beat the Hardys in the 30 minute Iron Man match.  Cesaro put the heels on top with about 30 seconds left, ran from the Hardys for most of the ending, then got hit with Twist of Fate and was covered but time ran out before the fall.  Match was fine.  As usual Iron Man matches are tough to pull off because the artificial nature of the booking becomes the text of everything.  Case in point in this match - had they wrestled a normal match it would have been 10-15 minutes before a fall but here the first fall came within 2 minutes simply because they needed to create falls to put the Hardys at a disadvantage.  The work was fine but I never felt like people really got behind the Hardys when they were down, because everyone knows an Iron Man match always goes down to the wire.

Alexa Bliss beat Sasha by countout.  It was a pretty good match.  I like cheap heel endings but they're a tougher sell in today's environment.  They also did that spot where it looks like Bliss dislocates her elbow, which is cool and gross, but it was an early spot that didn't really lead to anything.  You can only do that once, I'm not sure why they didn't save it for the finish of something bigger.  It would have been perfect for her future match against Jax to set up a surprise pin from the overpowered heel.  

Miz beat Ambrose after lots of interference from Miz's folks.  Good match, these guys are good together.  The crowd is cheering Miz without really boo'ing Ambrose.  Finish is the kind of thing that should set up a cage match or something more final next.

Strowman beat Reigns in the Ambulance match when Reigns went to spear him and Strowman side-stepped it.  The story is the post-match angle where Reigns drove the ambulance backward into a wall backstage and everyone acted like he'd tried to murder Strowman.  Eventually they pried open the ambulance and Strowman stumbled away.  It was made out to be a big dramatic deal but, I don't know, maybe I'm just an old cynic, but it just felt really fake.  Curious to see if it was a double turn or what.  Almost assuredly it won't be a double turn although there's no way they can expect Strowman to be a heel going forward.  Regardless of the angle, the match finish made Reigns looks like a fool anyway, simply being outsmarted by the heel going for his own finish.  The match itself was ok, typical big man bells and whistles stuff but the crowd seemed mostly into it.  

Lesnar beat Joe in about six minutes with an F5.  It was starting to be something pretty cool - a very physical, different style match but the finish came out of nowhere.  Joe jumped Lesnar before the bell, threw some really stiff punches and then dropped Lesnar through one of the announce tables.  In the ring, they didn't run the ropes, only using them for leverage and breaks and Joe kept going for his joke and Lesnar kept getting worn down.  Then the F5 just happened and that was it.  It didn't hurt Joe at all, he was given most of the match, but it was anti-climactic given the build.  Even if they only wanted Joe for this one match, they could have used more time to really knock each other around.

Overall, it was an ok show.  Nothing was great but nothing was bad.  I didn't come out of it excited about what's going to come next, though.  

Edited by John Popa on 10 July 2017 at 7:36am

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2017 at 11:09am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Yeah, I watched it and came out of it feeling the same as you, John.

Nothing bad, but nothing to get excited about either.

-C!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2017 at 12:33pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Gosh, did THE GREAT AMERICAN BASH 1992 really air 25 years ago?

*SPOILERS OBVIOUSLY*

Firstly, what a great card. Vader pinned Sting for the WCW World Title. This was during an era where heels rarely walked out of a PPV victoriously. It wasn't unprecedented, but at the time, fans were conditioned to expect a babyface victory. I expected Sting to vanquish Vader. It did not happen.

WCW always worked best when it provided an alternative to the WWF. The NWA World Tag Team Championship tournament took place at this PPV. It showcased wrestlers I hadn't seen at that point - i.e. Hiroshi Hase and Shinya Hashimoto - in fast-paced tag team action which the WWF were not providing at that point.

It was a pretty solid PPV which I feel provided equal emphasis on the NWA World Tag Team Championship matches and Sting/Vader.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 222
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version