Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Sports Talk
Byrne Robotics > Sports Talk << Prev Page of 222 Next >>
Topic: The Squared Circle Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2007 at 5:49pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

It was alway my understanding that the problems between Hogan and Savage were more on the Savage side. In other words, Savage has more of a problem with Hogan than the other way around.

Back to Top profile | search

Tim Gillespie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2007 at 11:09pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I never heard the Savage/Stephanie story so I can't really comment on that. But I do remember Savage's final days in the WWF. They were using him as a commentator on Raw and when he left I distinctly recall them showing a still of him with Vince saying that they had failed to come to terms with the Macho Man on a new contract and that he wished him all the best. In fact, it seems to me that Vince said something like "Good luck buddy" or something to that effect. He sounded genuine when he said it - not sarcastic at all. It stands out because they didn't bother doing that for anyone else when they left.

It just seems odd that they hold Savage in such low regard. I can't remember him ever making any kind of public statements against Vince and the WWE (Piper) or suing them for 100 million (Sable) or trying to run them out of business (Bischoff). They even brought the Ultimate Warrior back a few times and everyone knows what a head case that guy is. At the moment it looks like Psycho Sid might be making a return as well.

But Savage -  I don't get it. I can't imagine them worrying about upsetting Hogan given his current (non) status in the company. It sounds like he's in the same dog house as Savage. It's a shame. Randy Savage deserves at the very least to be in the HOF (and Ted DiBiase as well)

Incidently, (since we're traipsing down memory lane), wasn't that a piss-poor "tribute" to Sherri Martel last Monday on Raw? I don't know if they bothered to say anything on Smackdown, but I was disgusted by the lack of respect shown to that woman. I understand the whole bit with the Vince is dead storyline, but this was a real flesh and blood person who worked for that company in a fairly high profile position. To show such little regard for her passing is deplorable.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 June 2007 at 1:51am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I don't for a second believe the rumor about Savage and Stephanie; its just what I've heard people bring up several times and I don't even know where that rumor actually started.

And I know the problems are mostly all on Savage's side. Hogan has said that in a few interviews he's done where he's been asked about him.

For all know, it may all be Savage's choice not to work with the WWE or to be inducted into the Hall of Fame. But I definitely agree that he and DiBiase need to go in. (Just not in the same year, for obvious reasons if you know anything about why DiBiase never got an IC or World title run) DiBiase, in my opinion, is the best WWF\WWE wrestler who never got to hold a major singles title, and that was a damn crime.

The whole "who blew up Vince" storyline is completely idiotic, and it already looks like it may rank right up there with the angle where Mae Young gave birth to a plastic hand and the Katie Vick garbage. I can't see any way whatsoever that they can make this turn out good. I'm already cringing at the thought of them doing something like Vince turning up alive but with amnesia and acting like a face, only to regain his memory and go heel again once its revealed who blew up the limo.

I am hoping for a legit face turn by Vince when he comes back, but I doubt it'll happen.

Back to Top profile | search | email

Richard Fisher
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 June 2007 at 11:12am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I can't really see Vince as a face. It doesn't make sense. The few times he was a face (when Steph was with HHH, when WCW invaded) I didn't think it worked at all.

As for Sherri, they did the same "tribute" to her on Smackdown that they did on Raw. Just a pic with dates. Such a shame, she was a great woman.

I also heard the Steph/Savage rumor, but I heard it recently. I also don't believe it.

I thought DiBiase was mad at the Honkey Tonk Man for not getting a world title run. From what I heard Vince saw that Savage was gaining in popularity and wanted to put the IC title on him. DiBIase was supposed to get the World title after Andre gave it to him, and he would lose it at Wrestlemania back to Hogan. But then the HTM refused to drop the title to Savage (how he got away with that I'll never know) so they decided to give Savage a world title run.

Both Savage and DiBiase DO deserve to be in the HoF. Infact I was suprised he wasn't put in this past one. When Hogan was put in (2005) I noticed that the people put in the year (Hogan, Piper, Orton, Iron Sheik, Volkoff, Orndorff)  were all in the first Wrestlemania. So I thought the next year would feature the people from Wrestlemania 2, kind of like the other HoF induct people after a certain amout of years in the business. I predicted it would have King Kong Bundy, Savage, Steamboat and maybe Jake Roberts. None of these people were put in. So the next year I thought the people from Wrestlemania 3 would be put in. But it didn't turn out that way.

So far I think these people need to be in the Hof but aren't in it. Bruno Sammartino, Wendu Richter, King Kong Bundy, Randy Savage, Ricky Steamboat, Jake Roberts, Barry Windham, Mike Rotundo, Brutus Beefcake, Jim Neidhart, the Honky Tonk Man and the British Bulldogs(together or seperate.) 

Sam Karns
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 June 2007 at 12:25pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

What happened again?  To refresh my memory.  Hogan was set to retire after LIVE Main Event when Earl Hepner made his first appearance, as an imposter Dave, when lost the title against Andre and gave the belt to Dibiase.  Vince got a change of heart and created the lame tournament in WrestleMania IV and Savage was a lousy champion for a year.  Hogan became champ again but the Hulkamania train seem to lose it's muster.  A retirement was set again for WrestleMania VI and Ulitmate Warrior bored me to tears and...

I am so off the subject.  What actually happened to Dibiase and what was supposed to have happen? 

Tim Gillespie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 June 2007 at 2:51pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Elizabeth should be in the HOF as well, and wouldn't that be ironic if she made it before Savage.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 June 2007 at 2:57pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Richard, I agree with you on all of those who you said need to go in the HoF, except one: Brutus "the Barber" Beefcake. Beefcake owes pretty much his entire career to Hogan, being that they're real life friends, and probably never would have gotten jobs in the WWF or WCW if not for that fact. He's a decent wrestler, but not exactly HoF caliber.

I'd like to see Owen Hart inducted, but that's a tricky situation. If I remember correctly, his widow nixed the idea and Owen wasn't quite there yet but was on his way. He was supposedly in line for a major push after the Blue Blazer angle. ("The Game" gimmick was originally intended for Owen, not Triple-H) However, I think Owen is known more for feuding with his brother and his tag team work than anything. Most people I've talked to who are only casual wrestling fans think of three things about Owen more than anything else: a. being Bret Hart's brother. b. The way he died. c. the botched piledriver on Austin.

Joel Tesch
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 June 2007 at 5:58pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

If Mr. Fuji can get in, so can Owen. But I agree, there is no way Brutus should get in.

Richard Fisher
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 June 2007 at 7:16pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Iw as never a fan of Beefcake, but he was way over with the fans when he was the barber, so for that I think he should be in.

Tim Gillespie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 June 2007 at 7:59pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

OK - here's a few HOF possibilities for you guys to think over:

Ultimate Warrior - an absolute nut job, but a big fan favorite in the late 80's/early 90's. The #2 man right behind Hogan. Next to Hulk, he was the second most merchandised WWF star back then. I can't see Vince ever letting him in, but should he be in there? The guy was over big time.

Sting - True, he never wrestled for the WWF/E, but since they own WCW, should they be obligated to honor former WCW wrestlers? Dusty Rhodes had a much longer history with NWA/WCW than with WWE and he got in. Verne Gagne was another whose accomplishments came via another organization. Once Sting retires I think he should be considered.

Mike Howell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2007 at 5:48pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I just saw this. I don't have any words. Chris was one of the coolest guys I ever met.

http://www.wwe.com/inside/news/benoitdead

Brian Talley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2007 at 6:13pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I just caught the opening of RAW.....to say I am stunned would be an understatement. What a superior performer Beniot was. Oh, man......

Mike Baswell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2007 at 6:27pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

I'm speechless. RIP Crippler.

If it was murder/suicide as is being reported now, may God or whatever
powers that be have mercy on their souls.

Edited by Mike Baswell on 26 June 2007 at 11:17am
Back to Top profile | search | www | email

Troy Nunis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2007 at 6:35pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

I've almost become jaded to the idea that Wrestlers die odd deaths, but Woman and his kid as well just is beyond anything i can understand right now -- just shocking.

Corey Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2007 at 7:04pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Just heard the news. Benoit was probably one of my favorite top 3 wrestlers EVER, and I've been watching for the last 25 years. I am completely and utterly in shock. Rest in peace, Chris.

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2007 at 7:28pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

A little more Benoit information here.  Nothing substantive yet about the causes of death.  I hope this doesn't turn out to be be a murder/suicide.

James Hanson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2007 at 8:16pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

I am really stunned as well. I stopped watching wrestling about two years
ago, but Benoit was one of my favorites of all time, and my favorite in-ring
performer along with Angle.

The notion that it may be a murder/suicide is too much for me. I really really
really don't want to remember Benoit like that. This is beyond tragic.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2007 at 8:23pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Ditto, Jason and James. However, deep down I suspect that it may have been a murder\suicide, and I hope I'm wrong.

They cancelled RAW tonight. For anyone not watching,it was supposed to be 3 hour show focusing on the investigation into the limo bombing but they cancelled the show and instead have been doing a 3 hour Chris Benoit tribute show in an empty arena. They've been showing various wrestlers (and Stephanie) talking about Chris and clips of interviews with him, as well as some of his past matches. And Vince opened the show standing in the middle of the ring in the empty arena explaining what happened, with his appearance being reshown at the top of every hour.

You could really tell from their segments that Dean Malenko and Chavo Guererro are really hurting. Malenko spent more time talking than anyone else they've had on so far and Chavo seemed like he was about to just lose it during his segment and pretty much did at the end.

Benoit is one of the greatest technical wrestlers I've ever had the privilege to watch on tv, and he will be missed.

P.S. I'm really surprised they showed his match for the IWGP Junior Heavyweight title as Pegasus Kid vs. Jushin Liger. Didn't expect to see that at all.

Edited by Brian Floyd on 25 June 2007 at 8:24pm

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 25 June 2007 at 8:30pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

I've been a huge fan of Benoit since his ECW days.

May he and his family rest in peace.

Edited to remove picture.

Edited by Paul Greer on 26 June 2007 at 6:02am

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2007 at 9:12pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Updated story here.  Police are saying they believe it was a murder/suicide, with Benoit killing his family over the weekend and then himself today.  

Robert Kowalewski II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2007 at 9:18pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

One would hope that's not the story, hopefully it isn't.

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 25 June 2007 at 9:20pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

That's just horrible if it is true.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2007 at 9:21pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

I was just checking around, and there are at least 3 different stories, all conflicting about how the bodies were found, where they were, and the causes of death. However, the one I consider most credible at the moment doesn't look good....

According to an AP story, its believed Benoit may have killed his wife and son on Sunday and himself sometime on Monday. The bodies were discovered around 2:30pm.

I should note that all the stories I've read say murder-suicide.

Edited by Brian Floyd on 25 June 2007 at 9:28pm

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2007 at 9:31pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

He cancelled a PPV appearance for "personal reasons" and then he and his family turned up dead the following day.  It seems unlikely those two things are unrelated, and if they are related it points to suicide.  It certainly would be an unlikely coincidence if Benoit was having major personal problems and then he and his family just happened to die/be killed for some totally unrelated reason the next day.  The fact that the deaths apparently did not involve a gun suggests that they were not murders committed by an outsider during the commission of a violent crime.  Sadly, what little we know so far does point to murder/suicide.  

Edited by Jason Czeskleba on 25 June 2007 at 9:32pm

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2007 at 9:41pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Yep.

What gets me is, people at another board I go to have "RIP Benoit" banners and signatures, even after all this latest news has come out. I mentioned that it would be best to wait until after the police reveal the facts, because if he did do it, then "RIH Benoit" would be more appropriate and the "RIP" stuff would be disrespectful to his wife and son. Its better to err on the side of caution than feel foolish or be a hypocrite later.

I now feel dirty for sitting through the 3 hour tribute show, if he did it.

Edited by Brian Floyd on 25 June 2007 at 9:42pm

<< Prev Page of 222 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version