Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Sports Talk
Byrne Robotics > Sports Talk << Prev Page of 245
Topic: The Squared Circle Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2018 at 5:56pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Absolutely, John.

In my area, I could only really see WWF and NWA/WCW. USWA tapes were sporadically released. Other promotions often had video releases, albeit in highlight form.

I enjoyed reading about the likes of the CWA, And reading about individual stars. I remember seeing the Berzerker show up on WWF TV and thinking, 'I know him, that's Nord the Barbarian.' Or reading about Chris Chavis and then seeing Tatanka make his WWF debut.
Back to Top profile | search

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2018 at 4:57pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I remember one of my first issues of PWI had an article about the Brody murder. It made me want to find out more about him and I discovered how cool it was for teams to have international success. Of course, it meant more when they showed up Saturday night at 6:05 than if Vince got them.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 July 2018 at 8:16am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Thinking about this, I am grateful to the Apter mags. I couldn't get every issue (newsstands were sporadic), but I enjoyed PWI, THE WRESTLER, INSIDE WRESTLING, WRESTLE AMERICA and SPORTS REVIEW WRESTLING.

I couldn't really import the tapes. Back then, much of the small print in the ads said "U.S./Canada" only. How times change. Now I can stream something via Kayfabe Commentaries or order a Region 1 DVD.

But those Apter mags kept me informed. The WWF was a very insular place back then. When the likes of Warlord and Barbarian disappeared - I loved those guys - there was no way of finding out where they were if you simply read WWF MAGAZINE; but the Apter mags would tell you. 

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2018 at 3:35pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Sad day in wrestling as 3 well-known wrestlers have passed away.

Brickhouse Brown was never a household name but he had a good runs in Texas and Memphis. He was a good regional heel and, by all accounts, a great person, especially as he battled terminal cancer.

Nikolai Volkoff passed, aged 70. Of course, he was a household name in the 80's, doing a Russian character where he stood and sang the Russian national anthem before his matches.  I saw him wrestle for Georgia Championship Wrestling before he came to the WWF, where his biggest success was as tag champions with Iron Sheik.  He wrestled Hogan here and there as well.  

The saddest story seems to be Brian Christopher, most famous as Grandmaster Sexay (who was also Jerry Lawler's son.)  Christopher apparently hanged himself in prison where he was serving time for numerous DUIs.  He's been pronounced brain dead although, at this time, it isn't certain if he's been officially pronounced dead.  They may be waiting for Jerry Lawler to arrive, as he's coming in from an appearance out of town.  He was only in his mid 40's so to see him spiral so far down due to drug use is a sad thing for sure.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2018 at 5:26pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

It certainly is sad, John.

Never saw much of Brickhouse Brown, but am aware of his work.

Nikolai Volkoff was an important part of the WWF landscape, although he did seem AWOL at times. I don't recall seeing much of the Bolsheviks between November 1988 (Survivor Series) and April 1990 (WM VI).

Sad about Brian Christopher, I enjoyed some of his 1997 matches.

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2018 at 11:18am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

My first memories of Volkoff are in Georgia - King Kong Bundy was a babyface doing a bodyslam challenge (whomever slammed him would win some fake sum of money) and they were bringing big heels in to try and get the money, one of whom was Volkoff. He didn't succeed :)

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2018 at 1:55pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I'd like to see that!

Oh, British wrestling returned to UK screens on Saturday. WORLD OF SPORT WRESTLING. Ratings were 920,000, which didn't please advertisers.

It's a different world, you know.

In the 70s/80s, British wrestling drew between 5 and 7 million viewers each week; but this is 2018, the era where we have Netflix, Amazon Prime, Blu-rays, etc. Can a scheduled show necessarily get the ratings it did 30+ years ago? I doubt it.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2018 at 10:33am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Question: which is the better ladder match between Shawn and Razor, WM X or SummerSlam '95?

I have to go with SummerSlam '95.

WM X's ladder match told an incredibly solid tale. It had a lot of depth. I judge matches only by their era. It told a story well.

But I think SummerSlam '95 told an even better story. Not because of the high spots - there seemed to be more high spots in the second match - but because it told an even more compelling story. Maybe the face vs face dynamic helped, too, I don't know.

Would have been interesting to see the ladder matches they had at house shows prior to WM X.

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2018 at 3:45pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

You know, I don't really remember the build to SummerSlam but I do remember it feeling like they were doing a ladder match just to do a ladder match ... you know, like they do today :)

I liked the Mania X match because the angle made sense - you had the two belts with each guy having a claim to it and the winner would be the one who could climb and take it.

But, as I said, it's possible the SummerSlam angle made sense and I'm just not remembering it.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2018 at 5:51pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Hard to remember the build-up (wow, 23 years ago, eh?). But what you have said makes complete sense, Mr Popa: those two belts hanging above the ladders added something to it. 

Tim Cousar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2018 at 6:12pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

John Popa: My first memories of Volkoff are in Georgia - King Kong Bundy was a babyface doing a bodyslam challenge (whomever slammed him would win some fake sum of money) and they were bringing big heels in to try and get the money, one of whom was Volkoff. He didn't succeed :)

I've heard a story about some challenge or battle royal prize being a $5,000 dollar check, and the promoter had made out a real check to show on TV, and the winner (I think it was Austin Idol) actually cashed the check on his way out of town.

Edited by Tim Cousar on 31 July 2018 at 9:06pm

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2018 at 12:57am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Well, Kane is the new county mayor here. Glenn Jacobs won the election easily, but to be fair I doubt most people here in Knoxville could have even named his opponent. (I couldn't.)

I don't know if it's true, but I heard somewhere that he actually came out to "Slow Chemical" for his victory speech. (Sadly, no pyro, however....)

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 August 2018 at 10:53am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Sad news today as legendary wrestler Jim "the Anvil" Neidhart has passed away at the age of 63. No details have been released as of now but Neidhart certainly ran pretty hard his whole life.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 August 2018 at 5:32pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Sad news.

I did enjoy his solo outings in 1994. And I really wish the Hart Foundation had had a UK video release back in the day.

RIP.

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 August 2018 at 6:24pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Hart Foundation was my favorite tag team.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 August 2018 at 6:32pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Pleased though I was that Bret pursued a singles career, if the Hart Foundation had stayed together, we'd have eventually seen the likes of Hart Foundation VS Money Inc. and Hart Foundation VS Head Shrinkers.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2018 at 10:11am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Alternate reality scenario: Dusty Rhodes wrestles for the WWF from the mid-80s onwards as a heel. Could he and Hulk Hogan have worked together?

I've considered this many times, but I often wonder if there'd have been a clash of styles.

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 August 2018 at 2:35pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Dusty probably would have had a one off program and that would have been the end of it.  He was a solid heel but nothing spectacular and, really, most of Hogan's 80's opponents had their run and then went back to whatever they were before (Savage and Piper being exceptions.) 

A more interesting scenario is what if Dusty would have gotten over as a babyface in WWF like he did in the NWA, how would Vince have reacted - would he have gone with it or just kept him a notch below his big dog.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 August 2018 at 2:59pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

What about if Bruno Sammartino had continued to have a career when the WWF went national in the 80s? Would there have been a place for him in 'sports entertainment'?

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 245
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version