Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Sports Talk
Byrne Robotics > Sports Talk << Prev Page of 248 Next >>
Topic: The Squared Circle Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2018 at 8:13pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Despite the annual status of WWE's HoF, being inducted still means something... it gives praise to those who drew money, filled seats and contributed to the business in a strong way. Personally, I can't wait till Taker, Rock, Chris Jericho, Chyna and Triple H (even John Cena!*) go into the HoF.

Chuck Palumbo need not make the cut.

Also, the Hart Foundation, The Bulldogs, The Steiners, and a few other tag teams should get their spot as well.

*It's not about who gets in first; Vince runs the HoF like a wrestling show, picking talent he thinks will draw... and are retired from WWE.

-C!

Edited by Charles Valderrama on 12 February 2018 at 8:17pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 February 2018 at 5:20am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

A lot of Coliseum Home Video releases have been added to the WWE Network, including "Invasion Of The Bodyslammers" and "Battle Royal At The Albert Hall".

As someone who gave away a lot of tapes once my video player "died", this is pleasing.

True, some tapes, looking back, where underwhelming, but many were great. "Battle Royal At The Albert Hall" features some great bouts; not just the battle royal, but undercard bouts such as British Bulldog VS Barbarian in a brutal encounter (brutal by 1991 standards), the Rockers VS The Nasty Boys, El Matador VS Ric Flair, and the Legion of Doom VS Power and Glory.

Years ago, some tapes were misnomers. We had "Wrestling Grudge Matches" which featured Randy Savage VS Papa Shango, and Big Boss Man/Virgil VS Beverly Brothers (those are hardly grudge matches). And some tapes featured a lot of matches which had inconclusive endings, but I loved them. 
Back to Top profile | search

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 February 2018 at 2:20pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

WrestleFest '94 I remember for three great matches and one EPIC tag-team match - the Steiners vs. Bret and Owen Hart, a 25-minute classic that is impeccable from the opening bell... it left viewers wanting more, which sadly ever happened.

-C!

Back to Top profile | search | www

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 February 2018 at 5:35pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Yes, that Steiners VS Bret/Owen match was tremendous. Very heated, almost like one or both teams were heels.

I loved the WrestleFest tapes, back then they were exclusive matches that folk (certainly Brits) wouldn't have seen anywhere else. I liked the non-wrestling segments, too. On the WrestleFest '92 tape, The Berzerker taught us how to throw a party.

The Supertape collections were good, too.

I am so glad Coliseum Home Video has come to WWE.

Incidentally, and I suppose I could Google it, was Coliseum Home Video an outside company or just a brand name for WWF?

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2018 at 6:05am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Want to be a pro wrestler?

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 February 2018 at 5:17am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

NO WAY OUT: IN YOUR HOUSE aired on PPV 20 years ago today:

The heated match between Kane and Vader was about the only memorable part of this PPV, I feel.

Shawn Michaels should have been in the main event, teaming with Triple H and the New Age Outlaws against Stone Cold Steve Austin, Owen Hart, Cactus Jack and Chainsaw Charlie. He was replaced by Savio Vega. Nothing particularly memorable about the main event, to be honest.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 February 2018 at 8:19am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Look at this:

Four-hour PPVs regularly? With two-hour PPV shows.

Go fuck yourself!

When is WWE gonna learn that LESS IS MORE?!!!

I miss the days of quarterly PPVs. You know, three hours a month - especially given Raw is 3 hours long and SmackDown is 2 hours long - was more than enough. I have no desire to watch 2-hour pre-show events and 4-hour events.

And, yes, no-one forces me. But I do miss out in a sense. WWE doesn't have me as a regular viewer. I subscribe to the WWE Network, but I skip all the pre-show stuff and just catch highlights of Raw.

Raw itself is too long. 3 hours? I love the series SUPERGIRL, but if every episode was 3 hours long, and on for 52 weeks of the year, I'd say to the CW, "Go fuck yourself!"

LESS IS MORE.

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 February 2018 at 8:29am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I read Raw/Smackdown results and generally watch the PPVs, unless I forget. I only prioritize the big ones (and the NXT Takeover shows, which are shorter anyway.) The small PPVs remind me of the old territory monthly house shows, you do a regular show beyond TV to get heat on your big angles that you blow off at a big show later in the year.

I agree it's way too much time to watch wrestling on TV though, especially at a time when the roster feels particularly stale.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 February 2018 at 9:22am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Who would want to?

Yes, I am sure there are some who want to watch EVERYTHING. Well, I have other interests (music, reading, films, etc.). I want to go hiking, too. I have work to do. Family to visit. So fuck off, three hours of Raw and six-hour PPVs.

Seriously, who'd want to watch six hours of anything? Should I insert a catheter for when I next the watch WrestleMania? 

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2018 at 11:29am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Guess who'll be in the 2018 Hall of Fame?

Edited by Robbie Parry on 19 February 2018 at 11:31am

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2018 at 2:14pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I already heard, and am really surprised about that.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2018 at 2:33pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

This is certainly a surprise.  My guess would be Lawler would induct him.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2018 at 3:48pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

I never saw it coming. I'm not even sure how worthy he is.

No disrespect to him, of course. I did derive a modicum of enjoyment during his 1993-1996 run. But I would never have put his name and "WWE Hall of Fame" in the same sentence.

He had some great matches. He is talented. But did he really reach stratospheric heights? That's debatable.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2018 at 5:46pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

He really didn't rise until he was in WCW, and that was because Vince Russo *spit* decided to push him from out of nowhere. (I hated JJ once that push happened; not only did it not make sense, but his catchphrases were stupid.)

Me, personally, I think he belongs in eventually. But there are a lot of people more deserving who aren't there yet. 

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2018 at 7:00pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

I never cared much for Jarrett although one time I was at one of those marathon TV tapings back in the day and he was wrestling babyface Doink and Jarrett was doing every heel trick in the book to get the crowd going.  As part of a really long boring night of bad squash matches, he was pretty entertaining. 

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2018 at 9:24am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

As some Coliseum Home Video releases are now on the WWE Network, it reminds me of how well they were marketed.

I mean, who could have resisted titles such as "Invasion Of The Bodyslammers" and "Smack 'Em, Whack 'Em"?

I doubt such releases would work in an era of monthly PPVs, other supercards, Raw, SmackDown, NXT, etc.

However, it was different years ago. In, say, 1990, we had four PPV events a year. The syndicated shows consisted mainly of squash matches. By 1993, a fifth PPV was added to the card, but, Prime Time Wrestling aside, we were "fed" mainly squash matches and promos on the TV shows. So when you had something like "Supertape" or "Invasion of the Bodyslammers" released, it meant something.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2018 at 6:55am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

SUPERBRAWL III took place 25 years ago today (spoilers ahead):

It's one of the greatest WCW PPVs ever.

There were two gripping tag matches: Erik Watts and Marcus Bagwell VS The Hollywood Blondes, and The Rock 'N' Roll Express VS The Heavenly Bodies. First Independent, the lame UK video distributor of WCW videos, omitted those matches when it released the event, but I manage to see them in full thanks to the WWE Network.

2 Cold Scorpio and Benoit had a spectacular match.

Davey Boy Smith made his debut, defeating Bill Irwin. 

Dustin Rhodes and Maxx Payne had a reasonable and solid match.

Two fantastic singles encounters saw Paul Orndorff take on Cactus Jack, and The Great Muta take on Barry Windham.

And in a heated and blistering bout, Sting took on Big Van Vader in a strap match.

In my humble opinion, there isn't a bad match on this card. Not one. How often could any PPV say that?

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2018 at 2:33am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Apparently Paul Heyman is going to induct Goldberg.

Why?

I understand that Heyman is Brock Lesnar's mouthpiece, but there's got to be better choices. (I know it's not because both Goldberg and Heyman are Jewish.) 

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2018 at 11:15am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

I'm trying to think of who else could induct Goldberg. I agree with what you say, though.

SUPERBRAWL VIII aired on PPV 20 years ago today:

It was good to see a more conclusive match between Hogan and Sting - without the silly business at STARRCADE '97. I thought this match was far better than the STARRCADE match, but perhaps the damage had been done (the ending of their STARRCADE match was a mess).

DDP and Benoit had a good bout.

And it was great to see Rick Martel in action, battling Booker T for the WCW TV Championship. From 1991-1998, the TV Championship was consistent thanks to the likes of Stunning Steve Austin, Lord Steven Regal, Rick Martel, and Booker T.

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2018 at 11:51am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

For a minute I thought Hogan's triumphant return would be to induct Goldberg but that doesn't seem to be the plan.

I agree Heyman feels random. Bischoff would make sense, even.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2018 at 1:10pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Yes, Hogan or Bischoff would make sense!

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2018 at 1:25pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

If I remember right - and I could be wrong - both the Best of Starrcade and the Hulk Hogan Anthology have the Starrcade `97 match on them, but not the Superbrawl VIII one. Those are currently the only wrestling compilations I own (I also have the first ECW One Night Stand), and I'll never watch either in their entirety, because I simply refuse to watch that particular match again. 

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2018 at 2:12pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

How did WCW fuck it up? I mean, Nick Patrick's count didn't seem fast. I could barely hear what Bret Hart was saying on the microphone before he dragged Hogan back into the ring. And...why should I even go on?

Some say the "Fingerpoke of Doom" was the beginning of the end, but maybe it was STARRCADE '97! 

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2018 at 2:38pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

The Starrcade `97 finish was shitty, but nowhere near as bad as the fingerpoke. The fingerpoke cost WCW fans. 

I wanted the hard to find red and black Wolfpac shirt. Not the one with the wolf head that came later, but the one that was a red shirt with the nWo logo in black. If I had gotten one, I would have ripped it in half after the fingerpoke happened.  I was *that* angry over the whole thing.

As far as WCW shirts go, though, I still own a Goldberg `fear the spear' shirt, and it is in great condition. I wore it *maybe* four times, and have it tucked away as a collector's item.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2018 at 2:43pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

I really want a bWo shirt, Brian.

I agree about the "Fingerpoke". I wasn't expecting a five-star classic between Hogan and Nash, but that was offensive and insulting. 

Did *anyone* really think that would draw fans or buyrates?

WCW got more and more fucked up, eh? I mean, when Russo was running free, I thought, does he really think fat Oklahoma challenging Madusa for the Cruiserweight Title was going to attract fans, PPV buyrates, ratings?

I remember a complaint from him about how Standards and Practices had barred him from using a term such as "fat woman" and the Oklahoma stuff, I believe the interview was about him turning WCW around. Not sure how fat insults and a Jim Ross impersonator would have turned WCW around, but oh well...

<< Prev Page of 248 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version