Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Sports Talk
Byrne Robotics > Sports Talk << Prev Page of 231 Next >>
Topic: The Squared Circle Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 September 2017 at 11:58am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

So I watched some bouts from this release.

Dingo Warrior showcased quite a few wrestling moves that you won't have seen Ultimate Warrior do. Not a criticism, merely an observation. It was just refreshing to see Warrior do wrestling moves rather than solely depend on power stuff.

It's really surreal to see Hogan and Bret Hart squaring off in a WWF ring (the Mega Powers take on the Hart Foundation & Honky Tonk Man, January 1988).

It's also surreal to see Bret and Shawn teaming up, circa 1995 (their opponents are Hakushi and Jerry Lawler).

There isn't any commentary on some matches. And the quality is akin to VHS. But it has a certain novelty to it. I mean, you have to see a Diesel/Yokozuna steel cage match, right?

I really hope they do a second volume!
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 September 2017 at 12:06am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

The thing about the WWF/E is that they dumb down their wrestlers' talent by limiting what moves they use.

I've seen a few of Dingo Warrior matches, and he definitely was more talented in-ring than they let him be as Ultimate Warrior.

Hulk Hogan was better than most people give him credit for, also. I saw a match vs. the Great Muta where he actually used an armbar. And in his pre-red and yellow days, he definitely used more moves.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 September 2017 at 3:16am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

That's right. In the early 90s, Coliseum Video released THE POWER OF HULKAMANIA. On that tape was a Hogan/Stan Hansen match from Japan. Hogan used a lot of moves in that bout.

I'm really enjoying the DVD release, although the lack of commentary is a tad jarring. I'm not watching the bouts in order. Interesting that Jake Roberts and Rick Martel had a blindfold match prior to their WM VII encounter.

Even if some of the matches may not appeal, they are historical curiosities. Brian Adams, who became Crush, wrestles as himself in a late 1989 tryout match. And who the hell knew, prior to this tape, that Davey Boy Smith and Jeff Jarrett had wrestled in a ladder match for the I-C Title?

There's lots of little curiosities. No spoilers (I haven't revealed any match results), but it's like Earthquake Evans, circa late 1989, he's managed by someone other than Jimmy Hart. 

I heard a rumour years ago that Tito Santana managed the Powers of Pain in their very early bouts, but I've never found any footage or pics. Never been able to verify that.

Oh, the release is hosted by Sean Mooney (which is nice) and Charly Caruso. 

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 September 2017 at 9:29pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I believe Tito Santana only managed the Powers of Pain at house shows, but I might be wrong about that.

Goofy stuff happens at house shows, anyway. At the house show I mentioned before where Undertaker squashed Tugboat, his manager was William Moody, but before he got the Paul Bearer gimmick. Had no clue who the guy was, because he didn't get introduced. It was just a man with black hair and a mustache in a gray (not black) suit who laughed and gloated as Undertaker beat up Tugboat. No makeup or urn. This was about a month or so before Paul Bearer actually debuted. 

There used to be fan cam clips on Youtube from house shows with Batista doing a full on Ultimate Warrior entrance imitation (not just the rope shaking), and one of Undertaker in a tag match waiting for the hot tag, doing imitations of other wrestlers. (He did HBK's Sweet Chin Music stomping set-up, Austin's beer drinking, and a couple other things I can't remember. I don't even remember who else was in the match.)

I really want to find that last clip again.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2017 at 7:27am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Yeah, I've heard so much about house shows, including cock-ups. Yokozuna was a babyface in 1996, but I read there was a house show where he, accompanied by Jim Cornette, wrestled as a heel. Cock-up or simply an experiment?

It seems that house shows were the WWF equivalent of "imaginary tales" because, from stuff I've read, there's no way they fit into continuity at the time. ;-)

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2017 at 8:26pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Probably testing the waters with the Yokozuna-Cornette thing.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 September 2017 at 7:33am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Wonder why, though? Yokozuna had turned face prior to that. Were they planning a heel turn by the end of 1996?

Speaking of house shows, I can only go by one person's opinion, but a wrestling journalist I spoke to (who had attended many house shows), said that the likes of Bret Hart "phoned in his performance" at house shows. He was also of the view Shawn Michaels wrestled as hard as he had in front of PPV audiences.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 September 2017 at 7:06pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

If you ever see a female wrestler named Sexy Star, boo the hell out of her. And I mean as in `go away', not a `you're an awesome heel!' booing. At AAA's big show, Triplemania, she refused to release a submission move and legitimately injured Rosemary, who has either a broken or dislocated arm. Keeping the hold locked in was a shoot, not scripted, and she's made excuses rather than apologizing. 

ANY wrestler who shoots on and injures another deserved to be blacklisted. A few promotions have already said she won't be welcome, and hopefully if there's another season of Lucha Underground, she won't be part of it. Chris Jericho even talked about it on his podcast, and actually called her a piece of shit. (I agree.)

Edited by Brian Floyd on 10 September 2017 at 7:07pm

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 September 2017 at 3:44pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Wrestlers put their trust in others to protect their body. So when that happens, it's atrocious.

Today marks twenty years since WRESTLEFEST: 50 YEARS OF TERRY FUNK aired, a card that took place in Amarillo, Texas, to commemorate 50 years of the Funk family wrestling in Texas. The then-WWF Champion Bret Hart took on Terry Funk in the main event.

I haven't seen this (was it even released on DVD anywhere?). Has anyone?

Edited by Robbie Parry on 11 September 2017 at 3:45pm

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 September 2017 at 6:22pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I don't believe it was. But if so, I'd love to see that main event.

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 September 2017 at 8:46pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

The Bret/Funk main event from that show is on the WWE Network in the Hidden Gems category.  Or Lost Gems.  Whatever it's called :)

It was one of many retirement matches for Terry, of course.  I don't know if the rest of the show has been released.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 September 2017 at 9:47pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Too bad I don't get the WWE Network, or I'd go watch that match.

I don't even want to try and figure out how many retirement matches Terry Funk had....

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2017 at 7:53am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Indeed. Wasn't his first 'retirement' in 1983?

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2017 at 11:39am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Too bad I don't get the WWE Network, or I'd go watch that match.

-----

It's on YouTube too. Just do a search for Bret Hart Terry Funk. 

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2017 at 2:31pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Hadn't thought of that. Will do, once I have time.

Terry Funk is one of my all-time favorites. Bret Hart isn't quite there, but is still fairly high on my list.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2017 at 3:37pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Has Terry Funk ever done a shoot interview? I can't recall one (and I have looked).

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2017 at 4:05pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Robbie, there are quite a few of them on Youtube....

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2017 at 4:07pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Ah, you see I rarely check YouTube, usually go to the sites of various shoot interview companies. Thanks!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2017 at 2:24pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

FALL BRAWL '97 took place twenty years ago today:

This wasn't the best event, certainly not as strong as FALL BRAWL '96.

I remember starting to resent Hulk Hogan around this time. Given what WCW was paying him, and given he was WCW champion on a lot of occasions, I always felt I wasn't getting value for money when he wasn't at a PPV event. For what WCW was paying him, I felt he should have been on every PPV at least.

In 1997, he was absent from SPRING STAMPEDE, SLAMBOREE, GREAT AMERICAN BASH and FALL BRAWL. Prior to this, in 1994, 1995 and 1996, he was often absent from events. It hit me in late 1994: WCW was virtually making Hogan/Flair the "epicentre" of the promotion, but neither appeared at FALL BRAWL 94. 

So my interest was beginning to wane in Hogan around this time (as it did in 1993 when he made ONE WWF Title defence, winning the belt at WM IX and not defending it until KING OF THE RING in June!).

But I digress. There was nothing really memorable about FALL BRAWL '97. I felt the card was mostly so-so.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2017 at 12:25am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

The only thing notable about that show was Hennig turning on the Horsemen. 

Strangely, I didn't start getting sick of Hogan until about halfway through the nWo, and that's because WCW let them stick around far longer than they should have. (Even worse, it had no real, satisfying ending, before they decided to do the Jeff Jarrett version of the group. And Jarrett sucked back then.)

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2017 at 7:01am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

I only really enjoyed Jarrett in 1994/95, I found his character mildly entertaining - and enjoyed his work with Razor Ramon.

Yeah, the nWo stuck around for far, far too long. I didn't mind the 1998 split when Wolfpac took on black and white nWo. But when Bret was leading the nWo (around late 1999/2000?), I just thought, 'You have flogged a dead horse!'

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2017 at 2:41pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Wish I could have read this:

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2017 at 6:22pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Sad to hear about the passing of Bobby "the Brain" Heenan.  Truly the best at what he did

Laren Farmer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2017 at 7:59pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Sad to hear about Heenan...but I was surprised to see his age.  I would have thought he was older (then again he did start in the business quite young)..  So many health struggles through the past decade.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2017 at 4:15am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

This is sad news.

He was golden. Loved his promos.

One of my favourites was at the 1990 ROYAL RUMBLE. He was backstage with the Heenan Family (Andre, Haku and Rick Rude). Host Sean Mooney talked about it being "every man for himself", but Heenan got angry and started talking about how the event was "every family for itself" and how everyone was going to work together, there was a plan, etc.

This led to Haku, Rude and Andre bickering (Rude claimed he had no problem with it boiling down to him and another member like Haku), but then Heenan bickered with Rude, Andre started shouting, etc.

Great moment!

<< Prev Page of 231 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version