Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Sports Talk
Byrne Robotics > Sports Talk << Prev Page of 225 Next >>
Topic: The Squared Circle Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 August 2017 at 8:21am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Really? It never looked painful to me, except for Hogan, who pretty much destroyed his hip and tail bone doing that move for 100 years. A leg's not that heavy. it would only hurt if he dropped his ass on their face (lots of guys will joke about that happening when Yoko did his legdrop.)
Back to Top profile | search

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 August 2017 at 9:34am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Really?

Okay, John, let's try it. I'll do it on you. ;-) 

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 August 2017 at 9:46am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

You think anyone watching wrestling for 30-some years hasn't been legdropped at one point or another? :)

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 August 2017 at 10:14am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I'm afraid I haven't had the pleasure. Nor do I want it. But a friend "tried" the sharpshooter on me years ago...

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 August 2017 at 12:01pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I've been watching wrestling since the early 80's, and I've never been legdropped. 

And I'd never want to be locked in a Scorpion Death Lock (I'm a Sting fan, so I won't call it a Sharpshooter), because I've heard it actually does hurt. I've got an arthritic knee and a bad back from an injury when I was 19.

But I do know how to execute a Sleeper Hold and a Scorpion Death Lock. I've just never actually done the latter to anyone. (I only did a Sleeper on someone because they didn't believe I could, and I let go as soon as I locked it in.) Cannot do a proper Figure 4 Leg Lock, though. 

I can also do a Choke Slam (like I said, victim pushes off the attacker's shoulder when they do the lift and falls backward on their own) and a Stunner, but I wouldn't want to try a DDT or a Diamond Cutter (Or RKO) out of fear or actually hurting someone. Maybe if I was in an actual fight and someone tripped, I'd have no problem DDTing them....but I hope that never happens.

(I've seen DDTs in MMA fights, so its not out of the realm of possibility to use one in a fight under the right circumstances, but its the only purely pro wrestling move I can think of that would work in a real fight.)

Edited by Brian Floyd on 10 August 2017 at 12:02pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 August 2017 at 12:52pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Maybe if I was in an actual fight and someone tripped, I'd have no problem DDTing them....but I hope that never happens.

Nah, I'd favour the earthquake splash or moonsault in a bar fight. Particularly the moonsault. Find a good table and it'd be easy to execute. ;-) 

Tim Cousar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 August 2017 at 1:46pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I put a larger guy to his knees with the Iron Claw once.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 August 2017 at 2:01pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

That is definitely, well, plausible.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 August 2017 at 3:15pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Fremantlemedia International are the licensee for WWE DVDs/Blu-rays within Europe. I am on their mailing list. Here's part of an e-mail from their latest newsletter:

QUOTE:
As previously stated over the past 4 and a half years, we have endeavoured to release as many WWE releases as possible on Blu-ray; in fact, we released well over 30 Blu-rays exclusively to the UK in that time! However, over the last two years, the sale of WWE Blu-rays have declined, and there hasnít been enough demand to warrant continued support.

Hmmm, interesting, but not surprising.

WWE, in a way, is its own "competition". From my UK perspective, there are three ways to "consume" WWE: via a Sky subscription, via the WWE Network - and via DVD/Blu-ray releases.

Some people are giving up buying physical media. So in the UK, I am not surprised. I mean, if WWE started releasing WCW PPVs onto DVD tomorrow, I would not buy them - because every WCW PPV exists on the WWE Network. A collector might buy them. But with the WWE Network video library, and Sky airing WWE on a regular basis, I can understand why there'd be a decline in Blu-ray sales.

I do still buy WWE Blu-rays, but not for much longer. They do look nice on the shelves, but there's less incentive as time goes on. Why would I buy a Blu-ray with hours of WCW PPV matches when the WWE Network has every WCW PPV available?

I can't see WWE DVDs existing forever. Maybe they'll become a "niche product" for the collector, but most of us have long ago gravitated towards the WWE Network.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 August 2017 at 7:32pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Nah, I'd favour the earthquake splash or moonsault in a bar fight. Particularly the moonsault. Find a good table and it'd be easy to execute. ;-) 

++++++++

As much as I love the moonsault, if I'm going aerial, it would be for a classic Savage Elbow. Ooo, yeah!!

(I'd love to see two guys team up in a fight and go for the Doomsday Device or Total Elimination on someone.)

Edited by Brian Floyd on 10 August 2017 at 8:12pm

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 August 2017 at 11:59am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Maybe it's just better to erect a steel cage around a bar and settle the score that way!

Speaking of that, would I be right in thinking that the last time WWF used the blue-bar steel cage was at SUMMERSLAM '97 (Mankind VS Hunter Hearst Helmsley)? 

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 August 2017 at 7:51pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

That's the last match I remember it being used in, but they might have used it at house shows or on tv a few times after.

I actually loved the old cage, since it actually was a cage, not a chain link fence. Saw Ultimate Warrior take on Sgt. Slaughter in a cage match at a house show.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 August 2017 at 3:27am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Yes, there were some great matches with the old-style cage.

I remember one Warrior had with Savage. When Warrior went crazy against Savage at end, Nasty Boys interfered. Bizarre. What was their stake in either man?

That brings me to a point: I know heels often interfered in matches, but usually due to a friendship with another heel. Why the hell did Papa Shango come out during Sid Justice's WM VIII match with Hogan? I don't recall him having a beef with Hogan. And I don't recall him having any sort of alliance with Justice. At the time, it seemed very random.

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 August 2017 at 10:35am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Papa Shango had a beef with anyone who didn't believe the power of his voodoo.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 August 2017 at 10:52am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

LOL.

I just found it weird at the time. So random. Most run-ins feature someone who has a beef or a link with one or two of the wrestlers. Wasn't Wippleman managing Warlord at the time (Warlord left WWF shortly after WM VIII)? Might not it have made sense for him to interfere?

Okay, they wanted a Warrior/Shango feud, but I saw no reason for Shango to be out there.

Shame Hogan left the WWF shortly after. SummerSlam 1992 could have been Warrior/Hogan VS Justice/Shango. A match for the ages! ;-)

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 August 2017 at 5:21pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

So, here's a question: should Jake "The Snake" Roberts have been given a run with a title?

My answer: no.

In an old shoot interview, Roberts stated that it's the "man that makes the title, the title doesn't make the man". Truer words were never spoken. The likes of Hulk Hogan had a symbiotic relationship with title belts, but some guys, in my humble opinion, were so over that they didn't require a title belt.

The likes of Roberts, Roddy Piper and Hacksaw Jim Duggan simply WERE. No title could have added anything to their characters/career. Sure, it might have been fun (I know all three have had titles at various times), but within the WWF, Piper is the only one on this list that held a title (I-C Title in 1992). Duggan never held WWF gold (unless you count a certain crown).

In one way, I'd have loved to have seen Jake win the I-C Title. I can imagine a promo where he "told" Damian to slither over the belt. But Jake was over, he was who he was - and I don't see how a title win would have benefited him. 

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 August 2017 at 8:51pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Completely agree.

The house show I was at that had the Warrior-Slaughter cage match also had Davey Boy Smith, the Bushwackers and Hacksaw Jim Duggan on the card. And Hacksaw actually got the biggest crowd reaction, not Warrior. 

(He was tagging with the Bushwackers against the Nasty Boys and another opponent, but I don't remember who it was. Undertaker was also on the card, but this was early in his career so he was a heel at the time. Squashed Tugboat and bodybagged him.)

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 August 2017 at 2:37am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

I have seen a Tugboat/Undertaker match, the one that was filmed for SUPERTAPE IV. At the time, I can't believe the Undertaker vanquished such an opponent. Tugboat rarely lost to anyone. 

That urn's powers were phenomenal (I can understand why Taker suffered when the urn was stolen). I mean, in less than three years of his debut, he destroyed Tugboat, a viking warrior, a jungle savage, an 8-foot giant and a voodoo man. ;-) 

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 August 2017 at 7:42am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Ric Flair is hospitalized, at first it was being underplayed but his management team sent out an announcement today saying Flair needs prayers and is going through some serious health issues right now.  Rumors are it's related to his heart and he spent part of the weekend in ICU. 

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 August 2017 at 8:19am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Best wishes to him. 

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 August 2017 at 12:07pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Back in 1992, I remember being severely disappointed when the card for SURVIVOR SERIES was announced. Unlike the 1987-1991 events, they pretty much did away with the elimination team matches (the only one on the card featured Natural Disasters and Nasty Boys taking on Money Inc. and Beverly Brothers).

Although there were good matches on the card (High Energy VS Head Shrinkers, Bret Hart VS Shawn Michaels), I wasn't that enthusiastic about it due to the fact they'd done away with what was a tradition.

From 1987-1991, the Survivor Series cards gave almost every wrestler the chance to appear. True, some were notable by their absences (i.e. Randy Savage didn't wrestle at the 1990 event), but the five-on-five (87/88) and four-on-four (90/91) matches - I know there was a six-man tag at the 1991 event - were exciting: feuds ended, feuds began. Who can forget memorable moments such as Undertaker's debut or Bad News Brown abandoning his teammates two years in a row?

So when the 1992 event rolled around, and matches were advertised in WWF Magazine, I remember thinking it was disappointing.

I'm glad they returned to the elimination matches at the 1993 event, but as time went on, there were a few events that didn't stick to tradition, i.e. 1998. 

Any thoughts?

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 August 2017 at 1:07pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Ric Flair is in a medically induced coma and is preparing for surgery ... according to a rep for the WWE. Prayers to the Nature Boy!!

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2017 at 9:19am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Update on Ric Flair - tho' his surgery was a success, it was noted that his situation was still extremely serious and he has a long road to recovery. 

Flair's family was at his side as he recovered from the operation. Charlotte Flair wrote a heartfelt thanks on Instagram to fans for their support.

-C!

Robert Sterling
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2017 at 12:03pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Martial art teach you how to move your  body with grace, efficiency and power.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 August 2017 at 12:33pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Worth a read:

<< Prev Page of 225 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version