Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Sports Talk
Byrne Robotics > Sports Talk << Prev Page of 222
Topic: The Squared Circle Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 May 2017 at 9:30pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I read the results, and quite frankly I'd have been disappointed if I had watched it. I'm actually happy with ALL the results, but not the way some of those matches endsd or what happened afterward.

Randy Orton and Bray Wyatt need to stay as far away as possible once the feud is done. I'd even be all for one of them switching brands. Looks like Orton's next feud may be with Jinder Mahal, but making Orton the face in that situation would be a bad idea. Orton is bland and boring as a face. He may have a crowd popping finisher, but I'd rather watch paint dry than hear him cut a promo when he's a face. He's a natural heel, and it comes off as forced when he's a face. (I believe Orton has even done interviews in the past where he's said he prefers being a heel.)

Not happy they decided to turn Cesaro and Sheamus heel. But I'm glad Alexa Bliss defeated Bayley. I don't get what people see in Bayley.

Back to Top profile | search | email

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2017 at 9:29am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Sean Waltman was caught at an airport with cannabis chocolate bars and a bunch of drugs, including marijuana and meth. He could end up doing up to 4 years in prison, because he's also being charged with intent to sell. 

So, X-Pac sucks....at drug smuggling. 

I was hoping he'd got his act together, finally. Would loved to have seen him get a short nostalgia run in the WWE.

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2017 at 4:49pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

"Pretty Boy" Doug Somers passed away.  He was never a name on the national scene but if you see the matches he had when he tagged with "Playboy" Buddy Rose against the young Midnight Rockers in the AWA, it's textbook classic tag team stuff.  Shawn Michaels has given those two guys a lot of credit for leading that program and getting them over.

Back to Top profile | search

Tim Cousar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2017 at 5:31pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Not a big name, no, but Somers did get a lot of exposure on ESPN in the late '80s.

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2017 at 11:06am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Wow, a lousy Backlash last night for sure, especially after a pretty great NXT show the night before.   

(SPOILERS for both shows below.)

Nakamura's already just another guy on the roster. His match last night was ok but no different than any other Ziggler match on TV. Nakamura gets an amazing entrance pop, especially last night, but after that, the Smackdown crowds aren't that into him.  With his mannerisms my guess is he'll be in a comedy role sooner than later, which is a shame.

Corbin and Zayn had a by-the-numbers match that firmly established that neither of them are going anywhere.  Corbin was in a place where he might start getting a push but he would need wins for that to happen.  Zayn's a jobber to the stars basically and wins don't do him any good.  

The women's six man was ok, at least the women try and come up with different spots.  The finish didn't seem to really advance anything - if they're trying to push someone closer to Naomi and the title, last night didn't do that at all.  

Owens and Styles will always be in the position to blow a show away.  Last night wasn't quite at that level, although they did some crazy spots and were on pace to steal the show before an a 'booked to show off how clever' we are finish.  Owens still works like a babyface and it keeps him from being a real top heel and I hated that the top rope crusher he hit wasn't a real finish.  Still, no one can touch these two for a match full of high spots.

Harper and Rowan wasn't any good, which is strange, Harper's usually one of the better wrestlers on the card.  It didn't click, which didn't help with their position on the card.  Harper's always close to being over but doesn't seem to get there.

Orton and Mahal was a standard Orton main event.  The crowd was generally into it but Orton only gets reactions for the RKO and that DDT off the ropes spot.  Once he hit that on the jabronis the finish was obvious.  I don't care about Mahal being champion, the bigger question is who is going to work with him to better establish him as a top guy.  Otherwise, he'll just be another Jack Swagger as champions go.  

The NXT show was better.  As much as I don't love the endless high spot style, for that kind of match the UK title match was top drawer.  Roode's a great old school worker who's more deliberate selling-based style is a good contrast to all the high flying everyone else is doing.  The show ending angle with the DIY split was super.  

There really isn't anyone on any of the rosters that I see as becoming a real main event star.  

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 May 2017 at 9:35pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

The problem with Randy Orton is that he's boring. 

He's.....meh...on the microphone, and even worse when they make him a face. He's a natural heel who uses a crowd-popping finisher more appropriate for a face.

JInder Mahal being champ is NOT the way to go. Hopefully he doesn't have a long reign, and it isn't Orton who takes it away from him.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 222
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version