Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Sports Talk
Byrne Robotics > Sports Talk << Prev Page of 229 Next >>
Topic: The Squared Circle Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 December 2016 at 12:30pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Question: should Owen Hart have been crowned WWF Champion?

Part of me says yes, it would have been nice. As much as I was rooting for Bret Hart in 1994, there's a part of me that was curious about Owen winning the title and seeing who he'd have faced/feuded with after Bret. 

However, being a huge fan of Bret Hart, I wanted him to decisively win the feud - and he did.

Any views? 
Back to Top profile | search

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 December 2016 at 3:34pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Nah.

I enjoyed that feud, even though I didn't really buy Owen's promos (he was a better comedic heel later on.)  But I'm a fan of long title runs and don't think there would have been much upside to Owen having the belt, even as a quickie change.

That being said, the program only drew once, meaning once Bret beat Owen on the road, return matches did lesser business.  So maybe on the house shows they should have done DQs or countouts to try and build to rematches, although, this was really the beginning of the WWF advertising a stock house show schedule and not really focusing on localizing events.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 December 2016 at 4:28pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Speaking of house shows, I liked the marketing in 1994: WrestleMania Revenge Tour. Probably a gimmick more than anything, but who wouldn't have wanted to attend a show called "Wrestlemania Revenge Tour"? 

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 December 2016 at 1:00pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

So there's the annual rumors that Kurt Angle may come back to WWE as part of the build-up to Mania.

Any matches people want to see if it does happen? I kind of feel like the Angle 'dream matches' were mostly done in TNA already (Styles, Samoa Joe.) They could do Angle/Taker, of course. Angle/Rollins or Angle/Ambrose doesn't really do much for me on paper.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 December 2016 at 1:20pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

If Angle ever returns to the WWE, it will probably be in a non-wrestling capacity, or like Austin near the end of the career when he beat people up in a protected squash where he took little to no offense from the opponents. His neck is too damaged for them to be willing to take the risk of letting him wrestle.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 December 2016 at 1:39pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Angle vs Goldberg, anyone?

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 December 2016 at 5:34pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Honestly, that match wouldn't interest me. I don't think it plays to either man's strengths. 

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 December 2016 at 7:12pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Thinking more due to the freshness than anything. Sometimes (not always) I'd rather see a match that's never been done than a match that, no matter how good, has always been done.

Angle and Brock Lesnar had some good matches back in the day, but if I had to choose between a fresh opponent for Lesnar, or another Lesnar/Angle match, I might be inclined to lean towards a fresh opponent - including Papa Shango or Shockmaster. ;-) 

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 December 2016 at 11:54am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Anyone watch TLC.  I caught the last few minutes of the main event, just enough to be annoyed :) 

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 December 2016 at 3:38pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Jerry Lawler and Lita have been removed as full-time on air talent by WWE.  They've been moved to Legends contracts instead of broadcaster contracts.  Neither is expected to remain as part of the PPV pre-show team.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2016 at 4:11pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Brock Lesnar has been suspended for one year for his two failed drug tests related to his UFC 200 win earlier this year... the punishment was handed down today by the Nevada Athletic Commission and Lesnar will be able to return to MMA in 2017.

Brock also agreed to pay a $250,000 fine as part of a settlement with the Nevada attorney general's office. Lesnar's win will be overturned into a no contest.

-C!

Edited by Charles Valderrama on 15 December 2016 at 4:11pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2016 at 6:38pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Any New Year wishes for wrestling in 2017?

Me? I'll be fine with Rusev having a run as world champ. Love that old school gimmick! (And he can go.) 

Otherwise, I'd love to see Demolition go into the WWE Hall of Fame along the way.  They got some attention this year as New Day broke their record. It's long overdue (as it is with a lot of people, of course.)

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 December 2016 at 12:42am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

I've wanted Demolition in the Hall of Fame for years. They were probably the first heel tag team I ever liked. I was not a fan at all of the Smash and Crush version of the team, though.

I hope that something good happens with Roman Reigns. They need to finally realize that he needs to go heel (it worked wonders for a certain cousin of his.....), or quit shoving him down the fans' throat. 

Would also like to see Alexa Bliss turn face and keep being pushed. 

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 January 2017 at 11:53am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

The murder charges against Jimmy Snuka have been dropped, but only due to him suffering from dementia and not having long enough to live. He has not been cleared.

I hope the WWE has the good sense to not reinstate his Legends deal. If they do, there's no justification to not reinstate Hulk Hogan's, as well. You can cure racism, but you can't undo a murder. I'm not saying Snuka is or isn't guilty. Just that since he wasn't cleared or convicted, he shouldn't get his deal back, whether he's ill or not.

Rumor going around is that Diamond Dallas Page may be one of this year's Hall of Fame inductee. About damn time, if its true.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 January 2017 at 12:35pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

I hope that something good happens with Roman Reigns. They need to finally realize that he needs to go heel (it worked wonders for a certain cousin of his.....), or quit shoving him down the fans' throat. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
After the last two Raw's I was hoping that the Shield would get back together. Playing the role of anti-hero would work well. I also think that Reigns and Rolans work well together. IT would certainly solve the problem of Reigns not being able to work the mic well.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 January 2017 at 2:49pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Reigns isn't completely awful on the mic. The problem is Vince McMahon himself has handled a lot of Reigns' promos. And Vince's sense of humor is juvenile.

Though I kind of hoped for a Sheamus Brand Tater Tots t-shirt.....

Edited by Brian Floyd on 04 January 2017 at 2:50pm

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 January 2017 at 3:20pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Reigns isn't completely awful on the mic. The problem is Vince McMahon himself has handled a lot of Reigns' promos. And Vince's sense of humor is juvenile.

Though I kind of hoped for a Sheamus Brand Tater Tots t-shirt.....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I don't think he is awful either. He has his moments. But he needs to be working off somebody who is good on the mic. I think if he needs to be the pitchman himself. He can be weal at times. 

I look at Enzo Amore and Big Cass. Enzo is brilliant working the Mic. Cass can be okay. But his timing isn't that great.  I think Reigns and Rollins are the same way. 

Now if the Shield did reunite. I'd like to see them go after Tag Team gold. I think there would be some great battles between them and Amore and Cass.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 January 2017 at 3:21pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Is it just me or do the American Alphas remind you of the Steiner Brothers. Minus the obvious steroid usage and the mad dog Steiner bit?

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 January 2017 at 6:20pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

I haven't seen enough of them to make a justifiable comparison.

As for Reigns, I could see him blowing up huge. He has the look and the talent for it. The problem is he was still too green when they began pushing him, his mic work needs a LOT of work, and pushing someone down the fans' throats is a bad way to go. 

I truly believe a heel turn would work. It definitely worked for the Rock, and while I don't think Reigns will ever be on his level as far as charisma and mic skills go, it would certainly help.

I also think Reigns needs a new finisher (replacing the Spear, not the Superman Punch), but that's just my opinion. 

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 January 2017 at 7:51pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

I also think Reigns needs a new finisher (replacing the Spear, not the Superman Punch), but that's just my opinion. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Agreed, I realize that he is a brawler. But showing some technical skills would go far to raising his popularity I think. 

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 January 2017 at 12:26pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Is it just me or do the American Alphas remind you of the Steiner Brothers. Minus the obvious steroid usage and the mad dog Steiner bit?

The Steiners are one of my all-time favorite teams so I totally mark out for American Alpha!

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 January 2017 at 1:40pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

So Roman Reigns lost his title to Chris Jericho. It was a fun match and I was glad to see Jericho get a title again. What does this mean for Reigns ? Is this a sign that he is going to beat Owens for the belt at the Royal Rumble. Which is looking like it's going to be an entertaining pay per view.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2017 at 12:32pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

If he faces Owens, I hope there's either no shenanigans involving Jericho, or if there is, it backfires but doesn't lead to the finish. (ie, Reigns winning because Jericho accidentally hits Owens instead of Reigns)

And Undertaker is entering the Rumble, rather than having a match on the show?

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2017 at 3:46pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

I don't seriously think that Undertaker would win the Rumble. But I love the idea of him, Brock, Goldberg,Strowman, Jehrico,The New Day, Seth Rollins,Ziggler, Ambrose,  So that looks to be very entertaining 

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 January 2017 at 4:19pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

WWE has announced Kurt Angle for the Hall of Fame.

<< Prev Page of 229 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version