Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Sports Talk
Byrne Robotics > Sports Talk << Prev Page of 221 Next >>
Topic: The Squared Circle Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2007 at 1:59pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I gotta say this is becoming one of my favorite threads.
Back to Top profile | search | www | email

Sam Karns
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2007 at 10:25pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

(Btw, I like to refer to myself as a recovering Hulkamaniac; I still pop whenever I hear "Real American", but his backstage politics leave a sour taste in my mouth.)

Brian, I know where you live.

Back to Top profile | search

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 21 March 2007 at 10:21am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Sam, we'll always be cool. How can I not like the only guy here I talk with about all three of my favorite interests: comics, boxing and pro wrestling.  

Having said that, I wonder why Hulk Hogan isn't battling The Great Khali, Umaga or anyone at this years Wrestlemania after signing a 20 year deal.

(Me ducking)

Mike Baswell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2007 at 12:19pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Can anyone see the Hulkster as a color guy? I have as much respect for the
King as the next guy, but he's starting to wear on my nerves really badly
now when I watch Raw. I could see the Hulkster stepping in for a while and
doing a great job of it. At least it'd be something different, and that way the
Hulk wouldn't need to risk injury in the ring while still being involved with
the product.

****THIS IS MY 500th POST!!! WHATCHA GONNA DO>>>BROTHERS!!!!****

Edited by Mike Baswell on 21 March 2007 at 12:21pm

Sam Karns
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2007 at 12:59pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Congrats on 500!!!!!!!!!!

MIKE--BROTHER!!!!

Sam Karns
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2007 at 1:10pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I could see the Hulkster stepping in for a while and
doing a great job of it.

The GOW will finally complete his goal of filling his idol's shoes.

Mike Baswell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2007 at 1:20pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I hadn't considered that aspect of my question Sam, but yeah, Hulkster would be great playing the announcer a la Jesse the Body.
Man, those were some great days when he handled the color commentary. My Dream Team of announcers would be Gorden Solie, Jesse the Body and The American Dream thrown in for good measure.

Sam Karns
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2007 at 12:05am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

My dream match up was three man battle royale for the WWF Championship.  The challengers Jesse "The Body" Ventura , and Superstar Billy Graham v.s. Hulk Hogan.

Sam Karns
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2007 at 12:43pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

How can I not like the only guy here I talk with about all three of my favorite interests: comics, boxing and pro wrestling.  

We need to get back into writing more threads on these sports.  It's been what?  A whole year?

+UPDATE:  It's been two full years since the WWE news thread+

TNA looks like it's getting interesting with Sting there.  I wish he would begone with the Crow get up and return to the STING I loved.  COME BACK TO US, STING!!!  IT'S TIME TO COME HOME!!!!  

Edited by Sam Karns on 23 March 2007 at 5:42pm

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2007 at 5:09pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Sting is unfortunately stuck in a really bad angle with Abyss at the moment, and the lame gimmick match they faced each other in at the last TNA PPV got booed bigtime.

Back to Top profile | search | email

Sam Karns
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2007 at 5:46pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

So I guess Sting is not the big draw he should be?

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2007 at 11:23pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

So I guess Sting is not the big draw he should be?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Its not that so much as it is that TNA has incompetent writers and horrible bookers. The angle is beyond idiotic, and the gimmick match was boring AND stupid.

I am a major Sting fan, and the current crap he's involved with is too awful to watch sometimes. And keep in mind I actually watched WCW when it was at its worst!

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 23 March 2007 at 11:42pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

TNA has such good talent on their roster. Yet they can't put together any long term plans for making a good show. Some PPVs, the angles and matches are the best you'll see on a televised show. Then the next two months the show stinks worse than spoiled eggs. It's frustrating to watch.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2007 at 1:08am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

The TNA bookers are crackheads, if you ask me.

Jeff Jarrett, who is strictly midcard material, was given way too many title reigns and shoved down everyone's throat. Somewhat understandable, since his father used to be part owner and Jeff was on the booking committee. Don't know if you know this or not, but when he dropped the belt to Rhino, the plan was originally for him to retain when his opponent was supposed to be Kevin Nash. And Jarrett regained the belt a month later. NOT a good idea, when the fans were constantly chanting "DROP THE TITLE!" for several weeks before he did drop it to Rhino.

This last America's Most Wanted break up was the third one since they've been in TNA. Unless one of them leaves the company, I bet they'll be back together within the next 6 months.

They pushed the Naturals, even going so far to have them be the first team to ever beat Team #D (aka the Dudley Boys) in a Tables match, then what do they do? Break the team up and take them off tv.

IMPACT used to be badly booked every single week. It got to the point where most people were more surprised if a match didn't end with someone interfering or have someone do a run-in afterward then when they did!

Raven's stable Serotonin is going nowhere fast. I've yet to figure out what the point is, since they're pretty much just jobbers.

TNA's problem is that they've got bad bookers and pretty much always have. They do come up with good ideas occasionally, but unfortunately they've come up with a lot more bad ideas than good ones. Russo being an advisor doesn't help. If they were smart, they'd fire the entire booking team and give Jim Cornette a free hand to bring in some replacements to run the booking with him.

Edited by Brian Floyd on 24 March 2007 at 1:09am

Sam Karns
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2007 at 1:15pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

What else do TNA need to UP the ante in entertainment?

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2007 at 6:37pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

What else do TNA need to UP the ante in entertainment?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I don't know about upping the ante, but to improve they need to:

1. Get better bookers and writers. Like I said before, they should put Jim Cornette in charge, as he's always had common sense and is somewhat of a wrestling historian, so he has a good sense of what works and what doesn't.

2. Quit mentioning, or hinting at, the WWE. When former WWE talent comes in and starts complaining about how they were misused, fired, etc, it doesn't help. It makes TNA look bad the talent in question look second rate. Just about every former WWE worker on the TNA roster, aside from Christian Cage and Kurt Angle, is a former WWE worker for good reasons.

3. Don't start shoving Jeff Jarrett down people's throats again when he returns. I've heard he's going to be coming back in as a face, and I hope its at least six months after he returns before he even comes close to regaining the title.....

And something I'd really like to see them do that I think could kick things up a bit:

Bring in some luchadores or Japanese wrestlers to compete in the X-Division. WCW's cruiserweight division was quite possibly the best thing in wrestling at its height when they had a lot of Mexican wrestlers and a few Japanese wrestlers in the division. The X-Division right now is pretty boring, because its all American and Canadian wrestlers except for an occasional foreigner who comes in for a match on special occasion then leaves or the X-Cup where they bring in teams representing different countries, and I think if they added more international wrestlers to the roster it would make it more exciting.

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 24 March 2007 at 11:26pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

I agree with Brian. But I'll add the firing of Kip and BG James and you've got a winning company. 

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2007 at 3:47am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

I agree with Brian. But I'll add the firing of Kip and BG James and you've got a winning company.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Kip, yes. BG, no. Kip is pretty much worthless, but BG is good on the mic and I actually think he could have a future as a color commentator or manager after retiring. He's talented enough to keep around and I'd actually like to see him re-unite with Ron Killings as a tag team - they were pretty good as Road Dogg and K-Kwik, and  TNA really doesn't have enough tag teams to justify having a tag division, with the Naturals no longer around, AMW disbanding and feuding with each other and Serotonin being a joke.

If they fire anyone, it should be Tomko. Having one lumbering oaf in Christian's stable (Scott Steiner) is enough, and Tomko's been doing pretty well in Japan. (If I remember correctly, he and Giant Bernard (aka A-Train) are tag team champions in New Japan) New Japan is apparently desperate for gaijins, as they've not only got Tomko wrestling for them, but they've also brought in Orlando Jordan. A-Train has gotten somewhat better wrestling over there; hopefully OJ will, too, but I think Tomko is about as good as he's ever going to get, unfortunately.

Edited by Brian Floyd on 25 March 2007 at 3:47am

Sam Karns
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2007 at 11:41am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

WCW's cruiserweight division was quite possibly the best thing in wrestling at its height when they had a lot of Mexican wrestlers and a few Japanese wrestlers in the division.

Maybe but I'm from a generation that adored Herculean men pounding the crap out of each other.  When that division got rolling I returned to the WWF and when The Rock's show transitioned into that --to this day I haven't watched it on UPN/ CW.  Seeing midget wrestlers bouncing around the ring gets stale very fast to me because those wrestlers style are indentical.  Also I don't fear them. 

Sam Karns
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 April 2007 at 10:13am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Vince finally got a hair cut!  Now he's StoneCold's foster son.

Sam Karns
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 April 2007 at 1:30pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

What happened to our wrestling members?

John Griggs Jr
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2007 at 12:28am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

I'm still here but most of wrestling bores me.  I still keep up with the gossip.  And watch a few DVDs but thats it.

Sam Karns
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2007 at 1:33am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

We had a hardcore group talking about wrestling at onetime here at the JBF.  As I recall we were the longest sports thread in the JBF and then for some mysterious reason it was closed and then I couldn't get into it anymore.  I'm hoping to bring back that group to start talking about wrestling again.

John Griggs Jr
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2007 at 2:01am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

A lot of posters don't post here much or were banned for various reasons.

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 18 April 2007 at 9:20pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Hulk Hogan will battle The Big Show in Memphis for a Hogan Knows Best TV taping. Since the Hulkster is on the outs with the WWE, he has taken it upon himself to promote a card in Memphis. The event is next week and has only sold around 1500 tickets so far. The original plan was to have him face Jerry Lawler because The King still draws big crowds in his home city. The WWE blocked the match because it will be televised and Hogan is not a WWE contracted wrestler. Hogan needs to have footage of him wrestling for the next season of his VH1 show so he had Paul "The Big Show" Wight replace Lawler. For those who are not aware Hogan got Wight into the wrestling business in the mid-90's with WCW.

<< Prev Page of 221 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version