Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Captain Mar-Vell question for all (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2007 at 10:43pm | IP Logged | 1  

Bring back 'dead' characters is a long-time tradition, but Bucky and Captain Mar-Vell have pretty much been immune.  Is the Swordsman next?  When are they going to sh*t on my favorite comic ever - GIANT -SIZE AVENGERS #2?

Back to Top profile | search | www

Brad Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2007 at 11:02pm | IP Logged | 2  

I'm having a hard time thinking of JB doing Captain Marvel.  I would think that, after what Starlin did with Mar-Vell, I have a hard time thinking up what anyone else could do with him.

I would love to see JB on the new Ms. Marvel series.  That would be scrum-diddlie-umptious.

Back to Top profile | search

Stéphane Garrelie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2007 at 5:23am | IP Logged | 3  

Great runs:

Starlin.

Moench/Broderick (a run that Starlin doesn't like but that i really enjoyed).

other runs:

Stan Lee/ Gene Colan: Nothing special. Lee created the chararacter because Goodman wanted a character called "Captain Marvel". Still interesting though, as everything by those major talents.

after that decent stories but nothing special. wasn't Don Heck the artist at a time? And maybe Gary Friendrich as writer?

Roy Thomas / Gil Kane: good stuff, but in the shadow of Starlin. who followed their run.

Englehart / Milgrom: Followed Starlin. Englehart isn't fond of his run on the title. It was for him pure commercial writing i understand. He wrote it because it had to be done, and for the money. Decent run none the less. enjoyable.

After the end of the Moench/Broderick run we have one issue drawn by Frank Miller. I don't remember who was the writer, maybe Roger Stern?

Then the return of Starlin for the graphic novel The Death of Captain Marvel (Shooter had decided that there wasn't anymore anything new to do with the character and that it was better to kill him. Starlin had just lost his father from cancer and wanted to write about that.)

An issue of Silver Surfer by Ron Marz and Ron Lim where Norin meet Mar-Vell in the land of the dead. the best of their run imo.

Now: Civil War the return. I didn't read it (yet at least, but since Mar-Vell is here i'll at least browse it). I was told that this Mar-Vell is from a time before his death. so it isn't supposed to weak the Starlin graphic novel. Captain Marvel is still suposed to die one day of cancer. But if for the other character his death is their past, for him it is his future. Some sort of time travel i understand.

Well at least he is back. Too bad that there's no coherent Marvel universe anymore and that the characters changed so much that they are no longer themselves.

Edited by Stéphane Garrelie on 06 February 2007 at 5:28am

Chuck Wells
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2007 at 6:04am | IP Logged | 4  

I actually preferred the white/silver hair for Mar-Vell, but that's quibbling.  I am glad for the recent development involving him.

Leigh Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2007 at 12:19pm | IP Logged | 5  

I liked The Return and thought it was a good thing to bring him back. I find stories where you know someone's destiny very interesting.

Jason Carpenter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2007 at 5:13pm | IP Logged | 6  

Mar-Vell is my favourite character and I have also been a fan of Genis since he was called Legacy, though that costume was crap. I like the subtle differences in the red and blue costume.

Englehart had a great run on the character and I love Starlin's run but it is kind of slow how it starts in all these other books but once it hits the actual CM title it rocks.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Stéphane Garrelie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2007 at 5:28pm | IP Logged | 7  

Your opinion about Moench/Broderick?

Kor Watkins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2007 at 9:42pm | IP Logged | 8  

I enjoyed Captain Marvel when I was younger, tho I read it sporadically. I think the series was winding up when I became aware of him, and I remember his Marvel Spotlight (???) issues more. I've always enjoyed the character, and have been hunting up back issues when I go to comic conventions... LOVED the Death Of Captain Marvel graphic novel. An excellent story!

Civil War - The Return almost had me returning it to the comic shop! I can understand bringing back the Captain Marvel name, but leave Mar-Vell in his grave, please.

>sigh<

ps: To Jason C., Uncle Ben was brought back (from an alternate timeline) in Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man.... sort of a back-door resurrection...

Back to Top profile | search | www

Jason Carpenter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2007 at 10:14pm | IP Logged | 9  

Never been a fan of Broderick, his art always seemed too busy for me and the way he rendered things just didn't gel. I am a HUGE Firestorm fan as well and stomached my way through his run (nobody is better than Milgrom on Firestorm). The stories for the Broderick issues seemed boring as well from what I recall and when they moved Cap to Spotlight it seems like it was written off the cuff and phoned in.

There are TWO Jason C.s by the by. My opinion on the "Uncle Ben" ressurection is this... that isn't Uncle Ben but another reality Uncle Ben. He wasn't ressurected, he isn't sticking around. He isn't the Ben that raised OUR Peter and married OUR May. If you say being plucked from an alternate reality is being ressurrected or bringing the original character back... well, it is a stretch.

Monte Gruhlke
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2007 at 3:43pm | IP Logged | 10  

So the noblest hero (outside of Captain America) is 'brought back' and the
first they do is make him a prison guard?

Sigh.

Maybe when his cosmic awareness kicks in, he'll realize what a crock
everything is and go back to dying again.

Edited by Monte Gruhlke on 07 February 2007 at 3:43pm

James Hanson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2007 at 4:22pm | IP Logged | 11  

Is he really "brought back"? Time travel seems OK to me as long as they return him back to his original time stream.

Zaki Hasan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2007 at 4:26pm | IP Logged | 12  

James, that's essentially the approach they've taken.  Again, from what I understand.

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version