Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Captain Mar-Vell question for all (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2007 at 6:51pm | IP Logged | 1  

This may be an easy one but I was wondering why Captain Marvel's hair went from white to yellow(blonde).  The red and blue costumed, blonde hair version is visually one of my all time favorites.  I remember one of the earlier Captain Marvel covers, after he switched to the red and blue outfit, where he had the white(silver?) hair.  Soon after though, he has the yellow hair.  What's up wit' dat?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2007 at 7:10pm | IP Logged | 2  

In continuity - when Eon gifted Mar-Vell with cosmic awareness, his hair was turned blonde as part of the metamorphosis.

Real world - from what I understand, TPTW thought silver hair made Mar-Vell look too old so it was changed.

Either way, the hair color change was in Captain Marvel #29.  He got the red and blue outfit in either #16 or 17.  Of course thanks to bimonthly publishing and his book getting cancelled twice, we're looking at a time of about 5-6 years from the time he got the new suit to the hair color switch.

Back to Top profile | search

Robert Oren
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2007 at 8:01pm | IP Logged | 3  

Great book i think it was underated.......but dear god why did they bring him back

he was given a great finish.....but once again someone has got to piss on someones work

Zaki Hasan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2007 at 8:07pm | IP Logged | 4  

From what I understand, the recent "Return" doesn't overwrite the character's ending.

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2007 at 8:10pm | IP Logged | 5  

MAR-VELL TIMELINE

MARVEL SUPER-HEROES #12 - Mar-Vell Comes to Earth on reconnaissance mission for the Kree, first appearance of Captain Mar-Vell, Colonel Yon-Rogg and Medic Una.

CAPTAIN MARVEL #17 [October, 1969] - Mar-Vell receives Nega Bands and adopts new costume, is bonded with Rick Jones.

AVENGERS #89 [June, 1971] - Beginning of the Kree-Skrull War.

CAPTAIN MARVEL #12 [April, 1969] - Death of Mar-Vell's beloved, Una

CAPTAIN MARVEL #18 [November, 1969] - Death of Mar-Vell's arch foe, Yon-Rogg

CAPTAIN MARVEL #25 [March, 1973] - First encounter with Thanos.

CAPTAIN MARVEL #29 [November, 1973] - Eon grants Mar-Vell cosmic awareness, changing his hair from silver to blonde.

CAPTAIN MARVEL #34 [September, 1974] - Mar-Vell exposed to nerve gas during battle with Nitro.

CAPTAIN MARVEL #50 [May, 1977] - Using the 'Nega Bands' of the Super-Adaptoid, Rick Jones and Mar-Vell escape their tie to the Negative Zone.

MARVEL TWO-IN-ONE ANNUAL #2 [1977] - Death of Thanos.

CAPTAIN MARVEL #59 [November, 1978] - Elysius introduced.

DEATH OF CAPTAIN MARVEL GRAPHIC NOVEL [1982] - Mar-Vell dies of 'Blackend' (the Kree equivalent of cancer).

CIVIL WAR: THE RETURN [2007] - Mar-Vell 'resurected.'

Back to Top profile | search | www

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2007 at 8:56pm | IP Logged | 6  

wow, looks like there're some CM fans out there.  I've always wanted to read this series from the first issue and see if I like the book as much as I like the look of the character.  Thanks for all the info everyone.

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2007 at 9:03pm | IP Logged | 7  

I've always liked Mar-Vell, but the way they brought him back was extremely weak.

Even if you don't have a problem with them deciding to forgo the classic death story that Jim Starlin gave him you have to be disappointed with the way they choreographed his return.

James Hanson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2007 at 9:05pm | IP Logged | 8  

Hopefully his return will lead to a sweet @$$ Essential Capt. Marvel book. I'm in the minority, but the green and white CM was always one of my favorite costumes. Coolest cowl since Batman and has a great classic sci-fi/superhero blend of elements going for it. The Life and Death of Capt. Marvel is the book to get BTW.

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2007 at 9:34pm | IP Logged | 9  

Captain Marvel's been resurrected?  Would someone give me the details please?  Can Uncle Ben be far behind?

It is strange there's no Essential Captain Marvel yet, isn't it, given some of the other books which have received Essential treatment.

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2007 at 9:40pm | IP Logged | 10  

An Essential Captain Marvel could include MARVEL SUPER-HEROES #12-13, CAPTAIN MARVEL #1-21, AVENGERS #72, SUB-MARINER #30, AVENGERS #89-92, which would includ some nice Gene Colan, Don Heck, Frank Springer, John Buscema. Tom Sutton, Dick Ayers, Gil Kane and Sal Buscema art, with stories by Stan Lee, Roy Thomas, Gary Friedrich, Archie Goodwin and Arnold Drake.

I'd love to see it too.

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2007 at 9:49pm | IP Logged | 11  

Captain Marvel's been resurrected?  Would someone give me the details please?  Can Uncle Ben be far behind?

It is strange there's no Essential Captain Marvel yet, isn't it, given some of the other books which have received Essential treatment.

I probably should have marked it as spoilers, but Mar-Vell was resurrected last month in Civil War: The Return.  How?  he was basically plucked out of the time line (prior to his death) from the Negative Zone by some anomaly.  Then the pro-registration heroes basically make him the warden of their super-hero prison in the Negative Zone.  And the story is even worse than it sounds.

As for Essential Captain Marvel, I'm not that suprised it hasn't come out - he's been dead for so long, and his Masterwork edition was pretty late in coming along too.  [And we still haven't seen Essentials for Sgt. Fury, the Sub-Mariner or SHIELD either and they're all worthy]  It'll probably be fast-tracked now though.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2007 at 10:24pm | IP Logged | 12  

i think M****L is on a mission to resurrect EVERY DEAD character they
have....

.... and then kill them off again.

-C!

Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version