Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 19 Next >>
Topic: Wikipedia - A Reminder (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 January 2007 at 9:31am | IP Logged | 1  

I went into a basketball player's profile and added a really long paragraph about how he likes to bake different kind of pancakes, and then wrote about it on my blog. It was obvious it was fake, and it got a lot of laughs and good fun was had by all. Oh well! lol

++++++++++++++++++++++

In that case, you are no better than anyone who vandalized JB's (or any other) entry.

Back to Top profile | search

Jacob P Secrest
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 January 2007 at 10:13am | IP Logged | 2  

Yes he is, he absolutely is, he added an entry about someone baking
pancakes, the people who vandalized JB's page added entries that were
character assassination, I hope you can see the difference between baking
pancakes and character assassination.
Back to Top profile | search | www

David Whiteley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 January 2007 at 10:39am | IP Logged | 3  

It may be a sliding scale of the impact of adding false information, but whether it is an attempt at humor or an attempt to create a negative view of someone, both are further adding to the lack of integrity on the site.

On a related topic, CNN today are relating how Microsoft are in hot water for offering to pay someone money to rewrite part of the Microsoft Wiki entry.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 24 January 2007 at 10:51am | IP Logged | 4  

I hope you can see the difference between baking
pancakes and character assassination.

I can't. Disinformation -- deliberate disinformation --
is disinformation. The site is still left suspect and
worthless.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 24 January 2007 at 10:52am | IP Logged | 5  

Microsoft are in hot water for offering to pay someone
money to rewrite part of the Microsoft Wiki entry.

Countdown --- how long before it's in the rumor mill
that I did that?

Randy Sterger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 January 2007 at 11:32am | IP Logged | 6  

JB to be honest, I read a lot of sites, and by far I read more Bad Byrne stories and rumors about you from you than anywhere else. I dunno - when you say stuff like that, you kinda invite people to do it, don't you think?

I dunno again David, but it's not my problem that Wikipedia lets people do stuff like make fake entries about pancakes. If they let me do it, I'm gonna do it, because I think it's funny.

Why criticize me for "ruining" something you find worthless, anyway? It's like if there was a chair that a lot of people like to sit in that you have no desire to ever sit in, yet when people kick the chair you get all bent out of shape?

Facts are facts - pancakes are funny, especially when people call them flapjacks! LOL

David Whiteley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 January 2007 at 11:52am | IP Logged | 7  

Randy, I didn't say anything about what I thought of the site, did I? I said, "It may be a sliding scale of the impact of adding false information, but whether it is an attempt at humor or an attempt to create a negative view of someone, both are further adding to the lack of integrity on the site."

My question, Randy, is why do you think it is funny? Seriously. Okay, so you can go into the site and add false information. Where is the ha ha?

Randy Sterger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 January 2007 at 12:27pm | IP Logged | 8  

Well, I'm not going to try to explain my sense of humor or ask you to approve of it. That said, I write a sports website that gets tens of thousands of people reading per day, and when I write that Raja Bell likes making various kinds of pancakes, people enjoy it.

"Adding false information" in and of itself is not funny. Adding false information that is so bizarre and out of context as to be stupid...can be, if done with the skill and precision that someone like myself is able to do it with.

FLAPJACKS. "Trousers" and "snacks" are also very funny words to create fictional scenarios around, as well. lol

David Whiteley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 January 2007 at 12:31pm | IP Logged | 9  

I'm sure I can spraypaint a bizarre and out of context bit of graffiti somewhere too - and while some may see it funny, it is still vandalism.

Would you be pleased if someone decided to add some "bizarre and out of context" information on your sports website without your permission?

Randy Sterger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 January 2007 at 1:11pm | IP Logged | 10  

Well yeah, because my website isn't open to be changed by the public. lol

That said, people add bizarre and out of context information in the comments sections all the time, including talking trash about me - I never delete or moderate it. If it's funny, all the better. (But comparing my site to Wiki is like apples and oranges AND banoonoos.)

I guess whereas a lot of you are content to sit here and say "Blarrrgh puke on that site - it's evil!" I see it as a growing, new innovation that will find a balance between open source and accuracy with some time and thought. You guys talk like Wikipedia wants to be innaccurate, which is not the case. Perhaps helpful suggestions on how they could find that balance would be more productive and constructive conversation. lol

David Whiteley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 January 2007 at 1:13pm | IP Logged | 11  

Again, I never said anything about what I thought of the site. Please stop your absolute comments about "a lot of you," "you guys" and so on.

And perhaps end a post without lol just for variety.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 January 2007 at 3:40pm | IP Logged | 12  

lol

<< Prev Page of 19 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version