Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Referring to superheroes by their "civilian" identities... (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 December 2006 at 8:17am | IP Logged | 1  

Isn't it also that in society we and younger people are more likely to be informal with people, professionals.

In the 70's my father stressed Mr. Mrs. sir etc.  when I was in the Air Force it was again stressed and imbedded in me.

Now working with Teens and younger childen this is not stressed, I do not think many parents stress titles.  For this reason more than any we do not see it in comics.  Its a reflection of Society.
Back to Top profile | search

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 December 2006 at 8:23am | IP Logged | 2  

Isn't it also that in society we and younger people are more likely to be informal with people, professionals.

In the 70's my father stressed Mr. Mrs. sir etc.  when I was in the Air Force it was again stressed and imbedded in me.

Now working with Teens and younger childen this is not stressed, I do not think many parents stress titles.  For this reason more than any we do not see it in comics.  Its a reflection of Society.

I was born in the '70s, so my generation's authority figures were Boomers, who -- and I'm going to speak in a generality here -- aren't crazy about being authority figures. I always thought that the Boomers were the first generation to reject the "circle of life" rules -- in other words, you're young, then you're not.

When I first began entering the adult world, I noticed that the Boomers -- then in their late 30s to mid 40s, were the ones who would "correct" me if I called them "ma'am" or "sir." They were also quick to retort "My father/mother's name is Mr/Mrs So-and-So. Call me (First Name)."

After about fifteen years now, I've gotten used to this instant familiarity but it does bug me to call my superiors -- many of whom I've just met -- by their first names.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Francesco Vanagolli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 December 2006 at 8:55am | IP Logged | 3  

I rarely use the codenames for the FF: no secret identities makes this very easy, for me. They're Ben, Sue, Reed and Johnny, for me.

With the other superheroes, it depends on the cases. I usually use the codenames when they're in costume, and the civilian names when they're without costume.

Edited to add: nicknames like Spidey are fine, for me, but only with certain characters. Spider-Man is a nice guy, one of us, so I don't see "Spidey" as a lack of respect. "Cap" is acceptable, too. Never liked Supes (it sounds so bad!), Bats or Wolvie.

Edited by Francesco Vanagolli on 23 December 2006 at 8:59am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 December 2006 at 8:55am | IP Logged | 4  

My late mother-in-law used to get annoyed by professional people who called her by her first name. If a doctor called her "Florence", she would immediately respond by calling him "Bob" (or whatever his name was). She noted that on almost all such occasions, the other person bristled at the "informality".

The "Officer Jones" notation, above, is very apt. And, to extend it as Joakim has, even if we were somehow made party to Officer Jones' thoughts and day-to-day life beyond his "identity" as a police officer, if the circumstances were the same as those under which we share such intimacies with Spider-Man, we would still not be his friends, and it would still be impertinent to call him "Jonesy" without his consent. As familiar as we are with the lives of Spider-Man, or Superman, or Batman, or any of the rest, I don't think any of us truly view the "relationship" we have with these characters as a friendship. We are observers only, requiring our own Virgil to lead us thru the characters' lives, without ever finding ourselves part of the characters' lives.

Consider it in this light: imagine yourself to be a huge fan of, say, Mark Hamill. You know everything about him that you possibly can. You border on being a stalker, your knowledge of himself, his family, his friends, his life, is so complete. Would you, in discussing him with others, call him "Hammy"?

Brian Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 December 2006 at 10:25am | IP Logged | 5  

"Hammy"?  That is a very odd name to pull out of a hat.  I don't think it works as an example. No reference has ever been mad to Mark Hamill in suh a way.

Now I am not a comic fan, or a professional.  I am just some guy who read comics growing up and grabs them now and again for some entertainment.  Maybe I wasn't quite as fanatical as you were, but I never saw these comic book characters as gods.  These characters were people that could be me, or my friends.  The writers worked hard to create a closeness between the reader and the character.  We were given intimate knowledge of their lives and made to care in such a way that we would have that connection for a reason. Because of that closeness, comparing Spider-Man to a police officer just isn't an accurate comparison, unless you know everything about that officer's personal life.  Then, in that case, you are probably close enough that you would call officer Jones by Jonsey.

Besides, doesn't Stan Lee love Wing Head and Shell Head and Goldilocks as monickers for these characters?  Too bad Stan got it wrong again, huh?

Edited by Brian Joseph on 23 December 2006 at 10:25am

Kevin Tuma
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 December 2006 at 4:02pm | IP Logged | 6  

Never liked Supes (it sounds so bad!), Bats or Wolvie.

Isn't Wolvie the name of that little doll Butch Patrick carried around in The Munsters?

Kevin Tuma
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 December 2006 at 4:08pm | IP Logged | 7  

As familiar as we are with the lives of Spider-Man, or Superman, or Batman, or any of the rest, I don't think any of us truly view the "relationship" we have with these characters as a friendship. We are observers only, requiring our own Virgil to lead us thru the characters' lives, without ever finding ourselves part of the characters' lives.

John--uh-JB--er, um--Mr. Byrne, I think your reverence for the characters and their sense of "pantheon" is one reason you are one of my favorite comic book writers. You respect the origins and the charismatic presence of the character. It shows in your work, believe me.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 December 2006 at 4:48pm | IP Logged | 8  

"Besides, doesn't Stan Lee love Wing Head and Shell Head and Goldilocks as monickers for these characters?  Too bad Stan got it wrong again, huh?"

They're Stan Lee's kids though, aren't they?  (I know that Captain America isn't a Stan Lee creation, but he sort of "adopted" him when he and Jack Kirby brought him back into the Marvel universe.)  Has he ever referred to Superman as "Supes" or Batman as "Bats?"

Edited by Wallace Sellars on 23 December 2006 at 4:49pm

Roger A Ott II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 December 2006 at 5:10pm | IP Logged | 9  

Brian Joseph: Besides, doesn't Stan Lee love Wing Head and Shell Head and Goldilocks as monickers for these characters?  Too bad Stan got it wrong again, huh?

Again?  When did Stan get it "wrong" the first time?

Jim Yingst
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 December 2006 at 5:23pm | IP Logged | 10  

I think you may be taking Brian a little too much at face value there.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 December 2006 at 7:46am | IP Logged | 11  

As I think has been noted before, there are some things that ONLY work when Stan Lee does them.

Don William
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 December 2006 at 10:12am | IP Logged | 12  

I think THAT is wrong.  If Stan didn't want us to use them, he wouldn't have used them in such away and worked so hard to indoctor them into our comic book vocabulary.

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version