Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Commissioned Artwork
Byrne Robotics > Commissioned Artwork << Prev Page of 10 Next >>
Topic: Good Day, Eh? - 11.28.06 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 November 2006 at 12:01pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Really nice. I like it a lot.

I usually don't like seeing Wolverine's eyes through his mask (hate it whenever someone portrays Batman with visible eyes, too), but in this pic, it definitely helps.

Question: do you add the blood as you draw the image, or once the main figure is completed, or a mix of the two?

Edited by Brian Floyd on 28 November 2006 at 12:03pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jacob Reyn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 November 2006 at 12:02pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

You draw the meanest looking Wolverine in the business, JB. The look of focus on Logan's face is menacing.
Back to Top profile | search

Christos Seros
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 November 2006 at 12:11pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Now that's savage!

Greg Reeves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 November 2006 at 12:13pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Bob beat me to it, but I was also going to comment on the line weight distribution being fantastic.  There's just such a perception of mass to the 2D drawing when line thicknesses vary like this.

As for the 2 types of claw designs: I can't say I have a favorite myself.  The Miller style (except for the fact that they are inverted swords) gives the impression that the claws are sharp the entire length, from where they emerge from the hand all the way to the tip, like a real sword might be.  The type in the commission, the original style (besides being more animalistic as the character namesake) gives the impression that the sharpness is just at the tips (like stabbing pins rather than cutting knives).  You can see the half-cylinder shape of the claws where they emerge from the hand housings, in which the side facing the hand would be flat.  I think this type makes more sense to the character and supports the animal nature of Wolverine though.

Wade Duvall
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 November 2006 at 12:18pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

What style of claws does Wolverine have on the cover of Daredevil #196?  Pretty weird looking if I remember correctly.

Ryan Maxwell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 November 2006 at 12:24pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

One thing I haven't noticed before is the middle claws appear longer than the others. 

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 November 2006 at 12:26pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Now that's Wolverine. The ticking timebomb of the X-Men. The guy who can fly into a rage with little provocation. Awesome commission, as usual!

How a character like that could eventually become a (relatively) calm, Samurai-type father-figure still baffles me.

And speaking of the claws...

On the one hand, the "Samurai" versions do allow for more than one cutting surface, but on the other hand, the original versions look more like, y'know, CLAWS. Which is sort of the point.

Another interesting point--in the comics, the claws extend from the backs of the hands, but in the movies, they pop out from in-between the fingers (more like a real animal's claws). Hmm.

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 28 November 2006 at 12:27pm

Jacob Reyn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 November 2006 at 12:30pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I got a button that came with the first shipment box of direct monthly issues from Mile High I recieved back when I was in eighth grade. Five or ten of us thought that was the coolest thng to do at the time and we would read the newest isssues in the auditorium before homeroom every morning. That button looked interestingly alot like your commission JB.

That reminds me of an interesting forum type argument I would have with a friend every morning. I would take the side of Marvel saying Byrne was the best on Alpha Flight. He would take the side of DC saying Perez was the best on Teen Titans. An interesting memory as I reflect.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 November 2006 at 12:57pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

One thing I haven't noticed before is the middle claws appear longer than the others. 

Generally I treat his claws as if their lengths are proportionate to the first three fingers on his hand.

+++

On the one hand, the "Samurai" versions do allow for more than one cutting surface…

Problem is, the baby Samurai swords would have all their cutting edge along the top, meaning all his slashes would have to be backhanded -- which they're not.

Wade Duvall
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 November 2006 at 12:57pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Found the cover of DD #196 I was talking about.  Looks like the claws are popping out from his wrist. 

Aric Shapiro
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 November 2006 at 12:59pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

JB, what made you opt for this costume?  Do you prefer this one over the other?

Aric Shapiro
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 November 2006 at 1:18pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

The more I think about this and the Hulk piece, the more I wish Marvel would come to their senses and do whatever it takes to get JB back at the House. 

<< Prev Page of 10 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version