Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 19 Next >>
Topic: Question for JB. Unused X-Men plots Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 August 2006 at 11:58am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I don't know if I should be happy to discover this lost plot, or sad that it did not happen.

Still, good food for dreams to come...

F.

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 August 2006 at 12:21pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Long story short, until 1980 when John got hitched and moved to the States, I was able to learn some of the inner workings of Comics, got one of JB's old sketchbooks and became a copyrighted Marvel character.

Cory modestly omits the part where he, Paul and Jim were instumental in getting me thinking about that giant figure of Doctor Doom looming over Liddleville in FF 236. The inspiration was the cover to FF 84 (which also inspired FF 247), and the question the "Goons" raised was "what if that scene happened for real?"

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 August 2006 at 12:40pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Well, then, I owe Cory and Paul and Jim some thanks for one of my favorite "Fantastic Four" stories of all time!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Matthew McCallum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 August 2006 at 12:50pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Same here!

Craig Markley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 August 2006 at 6:45pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Could the robot Cyclops be the one from issue #99-The X-Sentinals?

Brian Tait
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 August 2006 at 6:55pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Fantastic thread..what could have been.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 August 2006 at 7:45pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Damn this sounds better than what we got. I know, it's rare, but I didn't like the Dark Phoenix Saga. I didn't really get into Claremont's run until Jr Jr came along. I also think Shooter's reaction was kind of mysoginistic. Does Magneto or Dr Doom have to suffer that fate? Why should Jean? :(

I wonder if Caliban would've gotten mistreated by follow up creators like he is today. It's fun to see you guys seemed ready to change the team roaster pretty fast. Cory's closet rocks.

And yes, Cyclops being revealed to be a robot made by Prof X would be the only thing that could salvage that character for me by now. :)

Monte Gruhlke
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 August 2006 at 8:17pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Shooter wanted her taken to a prison asteroid to be tortured for all eternity.

Wow. Where's the love? Where's the compassion?

Here's an idea, why not have something happen to a character beyond her control, then instead of trying to help her in some fashion, we instantly turn a cold shoulder and sadistically mutilate and torment her til the end of time.

Oh wait... we almost had that.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Darren De Vouge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 August 2006 at 8:35pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

How about this?  Arcade abducts Cyclops and plants a robot within the team, to destroy them from within.

Darren De Vouge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 August 2006 at 8:37pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

That Wolverine/Sabretooth/Mariko story sounds awesome.  Better than anything that "happened" in the title after JB left.

Scott Rowland
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 August 2006 at 10:05pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Definitely an interesting glimpse into what might have been.  But how often had Mariko appeared in the book by that point?  It was just in the Japan issues, right?  I don't think I'd be too attached to her as a character if her two storylines were the introduction and her death.  On the other hand, that's what we got with Thunderbird, so maybe I would be attached.

I do think I'd like Sabretooth much more as a character if he had gotten some more Claremont AND Byrne screentime.  But although I really enjoyed Power Man and Iron Fist by Jo Duffy (whatever happened to her?  I thought she was at one time the obvious person to give X-Men to if Claremont had left), those stories established Sabretooth as a second or third rater in my mind, and that never changed when he was finally put in an X-Men story.  It didn't help that when he was, they killed him and the other Marauders and quickly brought them back as clones.  What a great way to establish that readers shouldn't care about the characters.

Ethan Riley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2006 at 1:22am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

The list John made for "future" issues doesn't even cover all the ideas they were throwing around at the time. In The Art of John Byrne, there is an interview with John that seems to have been conducted just before he started work on the whole Hellfire Club/Dark Phoenix saga. Sadly, in that article he doesn't mention any Cyclops robot, but there's something else he talks about that seems kinda spooky in 2006. In the interview, he suggests that there would soon be a new kind of Sentinel introduced, and that all the mutants in the country would have to be registered and wear some kind of tracker device so that the government knew where they were at all times. Also, that these new Sentinels would be hovering over everything, and keeping the peace by kicking mutant butt when necessary. Hmmm....does that sound...kinda familiar to any of you? Kinda like the plot to Civil War??? John, I hope Marvel's giving you a few bucks for finally using your idea...! I doubt they are, but it sure sounds similar to what you had in mind 25 years ago!

P.S.: I also thought the "death by blowfish" for Mariko Yoshida was stooopid!

Edited by Ethan Riley on 31 August 2006 at 1:28am

<< Prev Page of 19 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version