Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: An Alarm Clock and an Aspirin (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2006 at 2:53pm | IP Logged | 1  

QUOTE:
What if I run out? What else am I gonna tape my ducts with? Ham? I don't THINK SO...

Just don't use Duct Tape on your ham..............all life as you know it would stop instantaneously and every molecule in your body would explode at the speed of light!

Back to Top profile | search

Ian M. Palmer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2006 at 3:01pm | IP Logged | 2  

I agree with JB, except that there could be both streams running alongside in modern comics, much as Action and Superman used to feature different kinds of Superman story: in Superman he fights a running battle through Time with a scary warlock, while in Action Comics he meets Asterix.

Just read the same volume, including perhaps the most embarrassing panel in superhero comics: the one where the editor explains that many scientists believe the pineal gland might be the remnant of a third eye, in the back of the head, which early man used to watch out for danger.

Exactly how many scientists is "many"?

IMP.

Jeff Lommel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2006 at 5:34pm | IP Logged | 3  

Even as a kid, reading the old reprint digests of "Legion of Super Heroes" for instance, the stories felt so contrived and silly, I didn't really enjoy them very much.  I liked the 60s and 70s Superman reprints a lot though.  These were all "Blue Ribbon Digests" publised in the 70s and early 80s, when I was in that 6-13 age bracket.  I enjoy silver age stuff overall FAR more than golden age or modern stuff, since that's when I was growing up.  I can't imagine kids growing up today reading and getting attached to comics as they are now.  A happy medium surely exists somewhere...

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 13 July 2006 at 5:50pm | IP Logged | 4  

...did that box of comps include Sergio Aragones' issue of Solo? It has a Mark Evanier scripted story dealing with the psycho Batman…

I bought this great unicycle today. It's really cool, cuz it has two wheels.

Juan Jose Colin Arciniega
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2006 at 6:04pm | IP Logged | 5  

Mr. Byrne...i spilled water over the monitor!!!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Gregg Allinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2006 at 6:16pm | IP Logged | 6  

He must have taken a tip from McGuyver!!!

I've seen maybe one episode of MacGyver in my life, but why on Earth does everyone on the net insist on spelling his name as if he were a Manga hero wholly owned by a popular fast food franchise out of Oak Brook, IL?

Chuck Dixon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2006 at 6:31pm | IP Logged | 7  

Those old Silver Age stories were silly, dopey, contrived and simplistic. But they all seemed to have that "what happens next?" aspect I find missing for the most part from today's comics.

And who's more condescending of their audience? The writer who thinks having Jimmy turn into a gorilla is a good idea or the writer who thinks the rape and torture of superheroines is fine family entertainment?

Back to Top profile | search | www

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 13 July 2006 at 6:36pm | IP Logged | 8  

Chuck, when they start raping and torturing the gorilla's I'm offically not reading comics any more.

Simon Matthew Park
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2006 at 6:51pm | IP Logged | 9  

I love those old stories. They really did leave you wanting more, and they were so damned entertaining. I don't think having the odd laugh thrown in there was a bad thing. At least the people writing them wanted their readers to enjoy the stories they were doing, rather than having the readers laud them for their 'cutting edge inventiveness' or their 'grim and gritty exploration of hard-hitting contemporary issues', or what have you.

Gregg Allinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2006 at 6:59pm | IP Logged | 10  

Those old Silver Age stories were silly, dopey, contrived and simplistic. But they all seemed to have that "what happens next?" aspect I find missing for the most part from today's comics.

Grant Morrison once said something like back in the Silver Age, you'd see Superboy marrying Krypto on the cover and it didn't matter if you didn't eat that night, you HAD to buy that comic and figure out what the hell was going on inside.  And it's true- I see so many Silver Age covers that make me think "What's THAT all about?!"  I want to read the story.  Today's pin-up covers most assuredly do not.

Robert Cosgrove
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2006 at 7:11pm | IP Logged | 11  

There used to be so many wonderful covers based on the stories inside
(or less wonderful stories based on the covers outside)--I don't really
understand today's fetish to make every cover a pin-up. Many of them
are beautiful, but few are memorable. A few months ago I picked up a
comic I had as a kid--an Adventure Comics with a cover by Curt Swan
inked by Stan Kaye (a great inker, IMHO, and the best Swan inker, or
perhaps more honestly, my favorite Swan inker, not excluding the great
Murphy Anderson and the great Al Williamson). It featured a giant Krypto
smashing through the wall of the Kents' house, with a helpless Superboy
in pursuit. I know there have been beautiful Spider-Man covers in the
past ten years. I honestly can't remember a single one of them. I think I
remember every one of the first thirty or so issues. What I can't say is to
what extent this is a change in the cover approach and to what extent it is
the difference in my age.

Simon Matthew Park
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2006 at 7:24pm | IP Logged | 12  

Robert, it says a lot that those covers stay with you after so long, I think. Those guys really knew how to produce an image that would burrow into your imagination and stay there. I know it makes me sound like an old codger, but I don't think it's an 'age' thing. I know the silver-age was a different era, but I really do think less imagination is displayed on these 'pin-up' style covers than was displayed by even the most outlandish 'Bizarro marries Lois' style covers of those days. As you point out, the 'pin-up' ones aren't memorable in any way - they're just the artist showing off. The silver-age covers seemed to tell their own (weird) little story, and got you thinking about why the hell Lois was marrying Bizarro (or what have you). They sparked the reader's imagination - something which the 'pin-up' covers really don't do. Rare is the cover these days that tells its own little story. I miss that.

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version