Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: JB vs. Women (Libel) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2006 at 8:11am | IP Logged | 1  

After seeing the thread on the Wonder Man bust, I went searching for some good scans of my favorite Wonder Man costume, that being the one he sported during JB's Hulk run.  Unfortunately, I came across the following article...

http://www.heroplay.com/features/articles/display.php?id=27

It's titled "Don't Do It To Me Again", and purports to be a "study" on how John Byrne comics feature routine torture, kidnapping, and killing of women for the sole purpose of "giving the male characters something to think about".

Now, a few things...a "study" is usually something the author is proud enough to sign his name to.  This joker goes by the handle of "Zan".  Also, it's the worse sort of libel, as it masks itself as unbiased, but the author has clearly made his mind up before any "research" began.  I think that is what kept me from dismissing it as simple Byrne Bashing, because he casts this as some pseudo-intellectual enterprise.

One of the things that I always admired about JB's writing is that he always seemed to feature strong female lead characters.  I think only Claremont has gone farther in this regard.

JB, I don't know if there is anything you or your lawyer could do about this (it looks like it's been up since 2004), but I'm hopeful.

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 May 2006 at 9:33am | IP Logged | 2  

Let's see now --- Jasmine was tortured, and killed her torturer, which I suppose gave him something to think about while he was drowning in his own blood.   Bethany was almost raped (she punched the guy's heart out -- not much time for thought, really). I don't recall any kidnappings. Lois by the Prankster, maybe? Does Phoenix count as a death?

That's four counts in 30 years. My god! I'm out of control!!

Matthew Hansel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2006 at 9:40am | IP Logged | 3  

Why is it that JB does something, or even DOESN'T do something, and he is CRUCIFIED for it, but others can do it over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again, and yet not only are they NOT called on it, but, in some instances, they are PRAISED FOR IT...

Double standards, anybody?

MPH

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2006 at 9:42am | IP Logged | 4  

Seems to me that even more men are beat up, tortured, and worse in some of JB's comics. In fact, in one instance, a man had his face ripped off!!!

It must really be JB VS. MEN!!!

And with all the times Robin was kipnapped and even tortured back when, Bob Kane and others must have hated children, too!!

Back to Top profile | search | www

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2006 at 9:44am | IP Logged | 5  

Double standards, Matthew? What double-standards?

It's not like Alan Moore would've ever shown a woman get brutally beat, tortured, and/or raped in his stories.

Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 May 2006 at 9:44am | IP Logged | 6  

a man had his face ripped off!!!

Bitten off. We must be accurate, Matt!

Andrew Kneath
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2006 at 9:44am | IP Logged | 7  

Wow SHE-Hulk was regularly captured by the villains and facing death when John was on the title!

How Sexist!

That sort of thing never happened to Spider-MAN!

Victor Manuel Fernandez Patiño
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2006 at 9:48am | IP Logged | 8  

Maybe is because JB it's not and ultimate hot artist:

He is and ABSOLUTE HOT ARTIST... That's why every detractor talk about him in absolutes...
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Frank Lauro
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2006 at 9:53am | IP Logged | 9  

I think the person who posted that "study" has a definite agenda going...but come on, John.  There have been quite a few other scenes in your books over the years (many of them named specifically in the article, which I don't know if you've read) that seem to have caused this "Zan" to compile his/her list.

To say that only four such scenes have occurred in 30 years simply isn't true.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 May 2006 at 9:55am | IP Logged | 10  

Basically? I actually feel sorry for these people whose lives are so empty -- and this, alas, includes some of my fellow "professionals" -- that they feel the only way they can build any "street cred" is by lying about myself and my work. I have difficulty imagining what it would be like to be that small.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 May 2006 at 10:01am | IP Logged | 11  

To say that only four such scenes have occurred in 30 years simply isn't true.

Context is all important. I listed the examples I could remember off the top of my head. Given the very specific word usage, I can think of no other examples of "torture", "rape", "kidnapping" or "killing" specific to women than those I name. Now, if the writer wants to expand his list and include "combat", "nightmares", "imprisonment", etc, we might have something to talk about. Unfortunately for his agenda, he would find the male characters in similar situations far outnumber the females, so that would kinda trip things up, wouldn't it?

Frank Lauro
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2006 at 10:16am | IP Logged | 12  

Fair enough.  The fact that the article suggests that you include those scenes specifically as part of some kind of anti-woman mentality is why I find it not at all persuasive, and also why I refrained (and refrain) from listing off scenes that I do remember that fit the definitions offered.  No need to add more fuel to the fire.

And yes, your male characters get knocked around pretty good, too.  Peril and combat are part and parcel of superhero books, after all.

By the way, "Zan" seems to credit you for inventing the image of one character holding up another character by the throat.  He/she refers to this action as a Byrne Hold.  Is he/she quoting something, or was that attribution created in this article?  (I'm pretty sure that there were, y'know, like, other artists who drew such images before you became a professional.  Just a hunch.)

Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version