Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: The Pull List - Comics for 5/24/06 (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 May 2006 at 4:54pm | IP Logged | 1  

Okay, just got back from the LCS. Here's this week's haul:

52 #3
Batman #653 -- I'm really enjoying this storyline and the one in Superman/
Action. First time I've said that about a Batman ongoing since 1993.
Green Lantern #11 -- if the next one is late, I'm dropping the title,
regardless of how much I enjoy it.
Secret Six #1 -- Villains United was my favorite of the IC prequels, so this
was a no-brainer. I don't care much for the artwork, though.
Supergirl and the Legion of Super Heroes # 18 -- I was planning on
dropping this title, and then it got readable.
Teen Titans #36 -- really on the bubble for me. This may be my last issue.
Back to Top profile | search

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 24 May 2006 at 4:58pm | IP Logged | 2  

Big week for me as well:

• SECRET SIX 1 - Read it and, quite frankly, I'm confused by some of the things in it. When was it revealed that Ragdoll is Power Girl's sister?  And what's up with every new series having to have some sort of homosexual lovers angle?  Nothing against those who love their own sex, but it seems that no new series can be released by any company without that angle present. Not a deal breaker, just an observation.  Finally, the art, to me, leaves a lot to be desired.  We'll see how the next issue turns out before I drop this mini.
  • BIRDS OF PREY 94 - Fun series.
  • MANHUNTER 22 - Sorry to see this one canceled as of 25.  I've enjoyed the ride.
  • BLUE BEETLE 3 - Good series, although the last issue left me a bit confused.  Liked the cliffhanger in 2, though, so we'll see where that takes us this issue.
  • BATMAN 653 - Robinson is doing some great work on this and DETECTIVE.  Feels like Batman again after such a long hiatus.  Long-time Batman fans would do well to pick up this run.
  • CATWOMAN 55 - I don't hear too much buzz about this book and, quite frankly, I don't know why.  I really enjoy it.  I'm curious to find out what happened in Selina's life in the "missing year" because this is one of the only DC titles to really take advantage of the gap to create some interest in what happened to the lead character.  Pfeifer is doing some of his best work on this title, same with Lopez on the art side, and the Adam Hughes covers are to die for.
  • HAWKGIRL 52 - I've got to confess, I'm not enjoying this series as much as I think I should be so far.  Can't quite put my finger on it.  I'm hoping it'll pick up soon.
  • THE NEW AVENGERS 19 - I've also got to confess that after a rough year or so, this is an interesting tale.  I still hate, hate, hate Spider-Man and Wolverine in the line-up, but I want to see what this huge interstellar threat is that all-but-destroyed Alpha Flight.
  • WOLVERINE 42 - MARC GUGGENHEIM'S FIRST ISSUE!!!!  Buy it in droves, JBFers!!!!
  • 52 WEEK 3 - I really like this series so far.  Enjoyable mainly because the focus is on the "lesser lights" of the DCU.  I'm hooked for the long haul.
  • JSA CLASSIFIED 12 - Playing catch up
  • TEEN TITANS 36 - Ditto
  • GREEN LANTERN 11 - Ditto
  • SHE-HULK 8 - The long awaited return of Paul Smith to monthly penciling!!!  And his fans cried "Huzzah!!!"
  • DD 85 - Playing catch up.

Brett C. Flechaus
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 May 2006 at 5:29pm | IP Logged | 3  

Hawkgirl # 52  love, love, love the art!   I enjoyed this story a bit more than
the last 2 issues, but I get what Matt said above.  Something's missing.  Maybe
it's that the action seems so small.   So far, it's all atmosphere & little touches
and three issues of dreams.   Too much tease maybe?   I'm still enjoying it alot.
I dont think there's a panel with out a backround in it, really nice art.

She Hulk # 8   Storywise, I could care less about civil war, so I can't really
say much there.   Artwise, not a very auspicious debut for fan favorite Paul
Smith.  While leafing thru the issue at the register, I thought for a minute that
Mike Vosburg had drawn the book !    In my mind's eye, I had hoped for a
cartooney look to the figures that's been a trademark of Smith's from the X-men
to Dr. Starnge  to Leave it to Chance.   Instaed, the art was very straight ( non
cartoony ) and very dry looking.    It also does'nt match Bobillo's
character designs so far.   I did'nt read that recent Kitty Pryde mini,
so maybe this is just where his art is at currently.

Edited by Brett C. Flechaus on 24 May 2006 at 5:29pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Mig Da Silva
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 May 2006 at 5:59pm | IP Logged | 4  

Annihilation: Ronan #2
Carl Barks Greatest Ducktales Stories Vol 1 TPB

Brian Sagar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 May 2006 at 6:15pm | IP Logged | 5  

> Brett F: "...maybe this is just where [Paul Smith's] art is at currently..."

I think this is the case, Brett.  The Kitty Pryde mini and the What If Dr Doom Became the Thing books were all drawn in the same style as you saw in She Hulk # 8. 

Yes, it is a different look from the X-Men stuff of the 1980s, but I don't fault him for having moved on artistically.  Nice to see him drawing Doctor Strange again.  I look forward to seeing his contribution in future issues, as he gets more comfortable with the characters.

John Leach
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 May 2006 at 7:43pm | IP Logged | 6  

Buckaroo Banzai 1--Not a bad start, but it seemed a little choppy to me, and the art could have been more clear. 
She-Hulk 8--Ugh.  Wish I hadn't bought this one, the Civil War stuff was just bad, and I didn't care for the artwork.
Green Lantern 10,11--One of the OYL titles I'm trying out, and I was very pleased with these issues, really like the idea behind the recruitment of the bad-ass looking alien in issue 10, seems like one of those obvious ideas that you're suprised no one has used before.
52 3--Still on board for this, no problems with it so far, although I missed Ralph Dibney this issue.
Supergirl & the LSH 18--I've liked this incarnation of the LSH so far, and although I thought the very end of the issue was weak, overall an interesting story.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Jay Matthews
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 May 2006 at 7:50pm | IP Logged | 7  

Green Lantern 11
52 (can we just drop the number, it comes out every week.  I bought this week's issue)
Batman 653

John Mietus wrote:
For someone who is very hardcore "old style superheroics," I'm rather surprised that you read Ultimates, Eric. Not a criticism, mind you, just an observation.

I'm hard core old style as well, and love the Ultimates.  It's surprising how many of the same buttons it pushes.  For those who are open to giving it another chance, pick up 9 and 10, and then strap in for 11, 12, and 13.  That ought to to do it.

Edited by Jay Matthews on 24 May 2006 at 7:51pm

Daniel Kendrick
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 May 2006 at 8:18pm | IP Logged | 8  

If Bryan Hitch was god it would've taken 14 days to create everything.

IMHO the "13th" issue thing is a joke, take the art they have, toss 12 out, and then when the rest comes in call it something special.

Teen Titans
Superman: Strange Attractions tpb
Exiles
Supergirl & Legion of Super-Heroes
New Avengers
JSA Classified

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Mike Farley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 May 2006 at 9:30pm | IP Logged | 9  

HAWKGIRL #53 - My last issue.  Nothing interesting is happening storywise and, although I'm probably committing some form of blasphamy here, I don't really like
Chaykin's art.  Especially not on superhero books.

DAREDEVIL #85 - Really enjoying this.  It probably helps that I never really cared much about Daredevil so I can't tell how "off model" this is.

52 #3 - Pretty good so far,but I'm not digging the graphic violence.

BATMAN #653 - It's nice to have a (pair of) readable Batman book(s).  And when this over...PAUL DINI !!

SUPERGIRL AND THE LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES #18 - It's not the "real" Legion but over all to too bad...

SPIKE VS. DRACULA #3 - Haven't read.

Wanted to pick up WOLVERINE, but the art chased me away.  Of all the characters who don't need  cartoonly-manga-style art, Wolverine's close to the top of the list.

Chris Hutton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2006 at 8:14am | IP Logged | 10  

Boy, what's with all the homosexual subtexts?
Secret Six has 2 chicks kissing, Titans has some sort of weird gay-beastiality thing going on. Remember when this stuff was only implied?
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Darragh Greene
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2006 at 8:15am | IP Logged | 11  

Hawkgirl 52; Daredevil 85; She-Hulk 8; X-Factor 7; and Nextwave 5!

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2006 at 8:36am | IP Logged | 12  

QUOTE:
Wanted to pick up WOLVERINE, but the art chased me away. 

Yeah, I'm in the same boat.  If Marc sticks around and Ramos doesn't post-Civil War, I'll give it a shot.

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version