Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: When Byrne left Uncanny X-men and Cockrum took over... (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2006 at 8:10pm | IP Logged | 1  

John Byrne's run was my introduction to X-Men, and after he left, I began to find the book more repetitive in plot and dialog, and while I liked Paul Smith, Barry Windsor-Smith, and Art Adams' artwork on the title, I didn't enjoy the writing again until Joss Whedon.

Edited by Rene Ritchie on 20 April 2006 at 8:10pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Troy Nunis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2006 at 8:16pm | IP Logged | 2  

wow, that's a long time to stick with a title/franchise not enjoying the writing.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

David Blot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2006 at 8:19pm | IP Logged | 3  

Well I simply stopped reading X-Men but I was also reaching 13 years old,
and did stopped altogether super hero for a short while of 4 years (who
seems to me a decade at least now !). Oh and I'm not that old, it was french
reprints 4 years after publication at least, at the time.

Cockrum second run was simply odd and disconcerting, especially since I
(we) fell in love of the X-Men thanks to Cockrum first.

Paul Smith was brillant, his run is sublim. Romita Jr, Silvestri, Jim Lee all
those were really nice, and then, ooooooooops... the damned 90's came.
Back to Top profile | search

Jason Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2006 at 8:23pm | IP Logged | 4  

I have fond memories of the Paul Smith-era X-Men, the Brood Saga in particular. I think that era may have been the last time that X-Men storylines were fairly easy to follow. 

Rob Hewitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2006 at 8:32pm | IP Logged | 5  

I read X-men way after JB, Cockrum, and Paul Smith.  And I really think Claremont deserves a lot of credit.

The X-men were so weird and different, and Wolverine so damn cool, and the X-men so complex, they really were something.

Eventually complex turned to unnecessarily complicated and brand dilution occurred. But for a long long time they were cool and there wasn't much like them

Of course, reading Classic X-men/Marvel Masterworks, the CC/JB issues were truly special.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Ed Aycock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2006 at 8:52pm | IP Logged | 6  

Funny, I liked Smith less than Cockrum because Cockrum was the first X artist I knew, circa 1981.  I think Kitty's Fairy Tale was the first X-Men I ever read - quite a bizarre intro, huh?   As time went by, I discovered Byrne and was mesmerized.  Now, I find each brought their own charm to the book (Byrne being my favorite) and love what the 4 artists I remember best (Byrne, Cockrum, Smith and JRJR) brought to the book.  It's also fun going back now and seeing costumes and hairstyles each artist depicted that are so of an era (gheri curls, disco outfits, feathered hair ...).

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Dave Pruitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2006 at 8:56pm | IP Logged | 7  

I kept it going to #150, but my heart was NOT in it. I liked Dave's art much better on the earlier run, not that it was any worse, but it suffered in comparsion to JB's and Terry's great run, IMHO.

John Mietus
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2006 at 9:32pm | IP Logged | 8  

I started reading X-Men with the Dracula vs. Storm issue during the
Cockrum/Smith interregnum. Or maybe it was the Arcade-strikes-a-match-
on-Dr.-Doom issue. Right around there. I know it was after Kitty's Fairy Tale
because I remember reading about it in the letter columns.

Anyway, I really enjoyed Paul Smith's art, despite the whole Morlocks/Storm-
gets-a-mohawk storyline. Discovered the JB run later, much to my delight,
and I'm glad I still own that run in back issues -- easily my favorite run on
that title.

Despite the fact that JB's new stuff is better.

Mary Ward
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2006 at 9:44pm | IP Logged | 9  

Jason...the Brood is Dave Cockrum's idea. Smith only picked up on the Brood afterward, if I have my memories correct. I actually disliked Paul Smith's artwork!

I started collecting the X-Men during Dave's second run, and spent my bucks buying the first issues of the X-Men, and JB's stuff. As a Nightcrawler fan, I always appreciated the detailing JB added to Kurt that emphasized his uniqueness as a character, but I never really brought X-Men as a title until I read Amazing Spiderman 161 and discovered Nightcrawler! That got me into the X-Men because of the character's uniqueness.

Cockrum gets my vote in that as Nightcrawler's creator, he was the one reason why I read the book! No other! Just one fuzzy elf, and the way in which he related to the world that disliked him.

Chris Rayman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2006 at 9:51pm | IP Logged | 10  

At the time (1979/80), I paid no attention to artists and had no favorites.  However I really liked the "house style" and found it especially consistent in three of my four favorite titles, Avengers, X-Men, and Fantastic Four.  Each of the books looked like each other* and Keith Pollard's Amazing Spider-Man looked enough like Romita Sr (although I didn't know who either of them were at the time) for me to accept it as "correct".

I dropped X-Men after Cyclops left (specifically, 145 was my last issue) because he was my favorite one in the book but it was the art that really had me make the change.  I didn't notice the change to Brent Anderson's art but everyone looked so "wrong" (I know, I know...) in the following issue.  When I saw the same "style" (I still didn;t know the style was being done by a different artist than I was used to) on the issue after that, I didn't even buy it to find out how the story ended.  ...Not even the return of Icemen (another of the original X-Men I'd read about in Sons Of Origins and Marvel's Greatest Battles) was enough to win me over.

Only years later, just as I started at my first comic store, did a friend enlighten me on the men behind the scenes.  Prior to that I'd listed John Buscema as my favorite artist because by that time I realized he drew more Avengers than anyone else and (seemingly just as important) he did the best job of drawing with his eyes closed in the old Marvel Fun Books.

* The widely different inkers made the books look just different enough for me to think it a house style rather than one same artist.  (I can't believe how little attention I paid to the credits box!) 

Back to Top profile | search | www

Ed Aycock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2006 at 9:54pm | IP Logged | 11  

Mary's correct, the hand-off to Smith happened right in the middle of that (seemingly) endless Brood story. Hey, I was 10.  Smith's style seemed very spare to me at the time, but now looks beautiful compared what would be considered good art the following decade.

Brian Peck
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2006 at 9:57pm | IP Logged | 12  

One of my all time favorite X-Men stories is "Kitty's Fairy Tale" from Uncanny
X-Men #153. Chris and Dave were firing on all cylinders. I am a sucker for a
swashbuckler, they seemed to have fun with the characters.

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version