Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 15 Next >>
Topic: Blood Of The Demon #17 - Cover and Cancellation News (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2006 at 9:00am | IP Logged | 1  

I'll really miss getting BOTD each month.  I always enjoyed it and thought that it was a GREAT book.  It was well drawn, well written and not confusing.  It didn't pander to the audience or anything like that.

It was a good run, too bad it couldn't have been longer.

Demon, we hardly knew thee.

MPH

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Ken Lomas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2006 at 9:12am | IP Logged | 2  

I just read that the Demon is being canceled. WHOSE CALL WAS THIS! This has been such a great DC book. I’ll go as far as saying the best JB DC work since Generations.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Ray Owens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2006 at 9:21am | IP Logged | 3  

I too think that the cancellation of Blood of the Demon is a real bummer. However, to look to the positive it frees JB up to do yet another book, besides the All-New Atom.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Eric Lund
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2006 at 9:26am | IP Logged | 4  

The sales of the book were in the toilet less than Doom Patrol at its lowest point for months....economics rules the day here....

You may not like it but that is the reality of the business...
Back to Top profile | search

Pedro Bouça
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2006 at 9:45am | IP Logged | 5  

As I said, why didn't DC do even a single BotD TPB?

I mean, every single DC series nowadays seems to get at least one (even late, lamented Orion got his), but the JB books that made the cut ever since he returned to DC were just the first two Generations and his Superman run (because pretty much every recent Superman book got TPBed). Not Lab Rats, not Doom Patrol, not BotD...

What happened? Did JB run over the collection editor's dog with the Byrne-mobile or what?

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Kleefeld
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2006 at 9:54am | IP Logged | 6  

I can't say I'm happy about the news, but I can't say I'm surprised about it, either.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Lund
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2006 at 10:00am | IP Logged | 7  

Low sales = no interest = no profit to be made

His JLA arc got reprinted into a trade but that storyline sold very well in the 70,000 range....

His DP and Demon 14,000......

The stuff that is the top selling stuff I hate but the economics of the industry drive the whole thing... If the "fans" want 18,000,000,000,000,000,000 X-titles that are "Wolverine vs the Infinite House of Civil M" than that is what is gonna get published....

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2006 at 10:58am | IP Logged | 8  

I'm enjoying BotD.

Are there any "third tier" DC character comicbooks doing big numbers?

Back to Top profile | search | www

Jason Fulton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2006 at 11:09am | IP Logged | 9  

No, the other third tier DC characters do comparable numbers (even after they get TPBs, which BotD has not).

What I don't understand is that, given the content of the book, why isn't DC using the 'Vertigo model' for it? There must be an intersection in the fanbase of Vertigo readers and Angel/Buffy fans, and BotD is very Angel-esque (obviously, the Demon has been along for far longer, but I'm thinking just in terms of selling books to bodies at this point). So why didn't DC go after that fan?

Joe Mayer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2006 at 11:13am | IP Logged | 10  

There is another trend I find disheartening, and that is cancelling a book instead of giving it a shot under a different creative team.  I don't think cancelling and relaunching brings in the people like it used to.  It almost seems like people stay away from low numbered books anymore because it is something that might not last and may not be worth the emotional investment in the characters. 

Take DP as a for instance.  Less than a year prior to JB's run, another DP title ended after 22 issues.  Instead of cancelling and rebooting, what if the switch in creator's had been made and JB picked up where the other title left off?  Many of the previous readers might have stayed on, and many new readers may have joined to see what JB was doing.  And if DC thought JB could have had a greater impact on another title, fine, move him over there and give someone else a shot at DP. 

Just my two cents.

Joe Mayer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2006 at 11:15am | IP Logged | 11  

What I don't understand is that, given the content of the book, why isn't DC using the 'Vertigo model' for it?

I think JB has expressed a disinterest in doing a Vertigo book before.  But, again instead of cancelling, if DC wanted this type of direction they could have moved that way and turned it into a Vertigo book under a different creator rather than cancelling it outright and starting it over.

Jason Fulton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2006 at 11:28am | IP Logged | 12  

It doesn't have to be a Vertigo book to get Vertigo customers to buy it. It could have been as simple as printing a TPB and having retailers say 'hey, if you like ANGEL, or FABLES, you might dig this book'.

<< Prev Page of 15 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version