Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: Question regarding Classic X Men (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2006 at 7:37pm | IP Logged | 1  

Hey all. I am nearing my 20 anniversary collecting Marvel comics. I started on Marvel's 25th anniversary. Most of my first comics were the celebration issues with the covers featuring a Marvel characters border around a key characters head shot. Like so

Fortunately for me they had comics like Marvel Tales so I could catch up on Spider-Man and Classic X Men for .. well .. the X Men. Going through those old issues recently I noticed that .. Well just look at this pic

I went with a Byrne issue. Just grabbed at random. Does anyone know why a few pages of art were redone for each issue? Was it due to a format change from the 70s to the 80s or anything like that?

This series was my first exposure to the X Men with any regularity. I know they have Essentials volumes but I kind of miss having something like this out in the market. Really helps newbies get a better idea of the characters histories. I'm glad they had them out. The back up stories with new material were generally worth it as well.

Edited to resize pics. Doh!

Edited by Trevor Krysak on 22 March 2006 at 7:53pm
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 March 2006 at 7:40pm | IP Logged | 2  

Does anyone know why a few pages of art were
redone for each issue?

They weren't redone, they were added. The original
stories were 17 pages, the length of comics at the
time.

Why the HUGE graphics, by the way?

Trevor Krysak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2006 at 7:48pm | IP Logged | 3  

Sorry. Just the way they came through. Should've looked before I posted.

Trevor Krysak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2006 at 7:54pm | IP Logged | 4  

It's a shame the original artists couldn't have been used for each issue. Oh well.

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2006 at 8:15pm | IP Logged | 5  

There was a page or two that actually was/were redone for the series.  I know that 94 (Classic #2) had a page revised (during the training montage, a headshot of Cyclops with glimpses of the other characters was replaced by a six panel sequence keeping the original text intact).  No clue as to why, though.

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2006 at 9:14pm | IP Logged | 6  

Ask George Lucas and Steven Spielberg.

Rob Hewitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2006 at 9:45pm | IP Logged | 7  

I think sometimes they added points to make it match up better with revelations from down the road. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Pedro Bouça
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2006 at 3:53am | IP Logged | 8  

They made quite a lot of changes. I sincerily despise this series! If you want a JB X-Men reprint, look for the Essentials or, better yet, the upcoming Omnibus edition (WAY cheaper than the Masterworks it reproduces).
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Dave Carr
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2006 at 8:19am | IP Logged | 9  

Pedro, the minor changes were kind of annoying, but the first 20 issues or so had some backup stories by Chris Claremont that featured absolutely stunning John Bolton artwork.  That, for me anyway, was worth abiding the alterations.

Steve Horton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2006 at 8:51am | IP Logged | 10  

One HUGE change was a total revision/retcon of Storm's origin. The French conflict that her parents were caught in the middle of (a French fighter aircraft slammed into their apartment building, killing them both) was changed to a conflict in a non-specific country.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Lance Hill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2006 at 10:33am | IP Logged | 11  

QUOTE:
Pedro, the minor changes were kind of annoying, but the first 20 issues or so had some backup stories by Chris Claremont that featured absolutely stunning John Bolton artwork. That, for me anyway, was worth abiding the alterations.

The backups from the first 25 issues of Classic X-Men are available in TPBs - X-Men Vignettes and X-Men Vignettes vol 2. Hopefully there'll be a third volume (I think there's enough material).

Trevor Krysak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2006 at 11:31am | IP Logged | 12  

".. the first 20 issues or so had some backup stories by Chris Claremont that featured absolutely stunning John Bolton artwork.  That, for me anyway, was worth abiding the alterations. "

I enjoyed those backup stories as well. The fact that they had those was partly why I wondered why they needed to add in material to the main story. It seemed they had plenty of new content in there. You could've kept the older stories to 17 pages or so and just added on to the new material. But I could be missing something in there.

Either way I enjoyed the chance to get to know the "All New, All Different" X Men on a monthly basis. It was a must buy for me until I got access to the originals.

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version