Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 17 Next >>
Topic: Charlottesville Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 August 2017 at 10:25pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

They don't want to be associated with the Rob Liefeld character. 
Back to Top profile | search

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 August 2017 at 1:42pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

The Secret Service's budget problems are not the Service's fault. They are required to extend protection to the president, his family, and the locations where he is going to go. Trump has obliged them to protect a very large number of people and places, for which their budget and staffing was inadequate.

Congress can solve this, if they like. It'll be very telling if they delay approving emergency supplemental funding... but I doubt they will, unless Ryan or McConnell is *really* pissed at Trump.

As for 45 himself, I've thought for a while now that he'll resign in 2019. If the House goes blue and the Senate stays nearly deadlocked, he'll know Congress will be openly hostile and 2020 will be a foregone conclusion (i.e., he's finished). Given that Trump quits rather than looking like he might lose, I figure he'll blame the Dems and the media, say he did all he could, good luck to Mike Pence (whose career is finished regardless) and call it a day, then go play golf and vegetate out of the public eye.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 August 2017 at 1:44pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

While I've been convinced that Trump is objectively evil for a long time now, I'm also considering the notion that he has early onset Alzheimers.

He seems to have much less capacity for engaging in a conversation or holding onto an idea than he used to have; compare interviews with him from the '80s or '90s and today--he seems impaired.

Which is damned scary.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 August 2017 at 1:49pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I disagree, Andrew. It's a "get-out-clause" for him.

I've seen 80s interviews. I think the difference now is that he's under great scrutiny and in a position that he's totally unsuited for. He probably was decent when it come to real estate, but he lacks ANY skills for the Office of the President.

He's just an arsehole. 

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 August 2017 at 2:04pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

QUOTE:
Small question: why is it "white supremacist" and not "white supremist"?

The OED labels supremist as "obsolete and rare" and defines it as "one who takes upon himself supreme authority."

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 August 2017 at 2:24pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Starts to sound like "active" and "proactive".

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 August 2017 at 3:11pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

While I've been convinced that Trump is objectively evil for a long time now, I'm also considering the notion that he has early onset Alzheimers.

•••••

His supporters are starting to worry me... and the (cowardly) GOP for not doing a thing about Trump. This is all certainly headed toward a "civil war".... and the rest of the world watches. *sigh*
-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 August 2017 at 3:54pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Robbie, I wouldn't be surprised if he's been laying the groundwork for walking away since January 20 (or even November 8). His history of quitting makes me think he's ready to do the same thing here.

He was on familiar ground, mostly, in the '80s... but he also seemed sharper and more willing to take himself less seriously. He doesn't have that now. He seems more rigid and humorless, neither of which suggests good things about his mental state.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 August 2017 at 3:55pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

And Charles, his supporters worry me too. Not sure if we'll hit the point of an actual civil war, but you could say our politics have been in a state of cold war for decades now.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 August 2017 at 4:03pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Robbie, I wouldn't be surprised if he's been laying the groundwork for walking away since January 20 (or even November 8). His history of quitting makes me think he's ready to do the same thing here. 

I hope so.

Thinking along the lines of the guy at school who pretends he wants to fight - but rather than lose (and lose face), walks away and says, "I could beat you, but I can't be bothered today."

So I'd hope he may have a "laundry list" of lies ready (fake news attacked me/the regulations were against me/back-stabbers in the White House were against me/Santa Claus was against me) - and then resign, claiming he can do more for the country as a businessman. 

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 August 2017 at 6:06pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Robbie, I think that's it. He's a bully so long as nobody is standing up to him. When someone does, he backs down... because he's both weak and a coward.

If things turn against him and he thinks it's over, he'll quit. It's in his nature.

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 August 2017 at 6:57pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Andrew Bitner wrote:
Not sure if we'll hit the point of an actual civil war, but you could say our politics have been in a state of cold war for decades now.

Shortly after the election, the NYT ran an infographic showing Trump country and Clinton country overlaid on the U.S. each without the other. Here's the Clinton turf:

My thoughts on this at the time:

1) Apparently, Democrats live in Earthsea
2) Trump country has all the guns and food.  The rest of us have all the money and entertainment

I wonder if historians are going to be looking at a similar map when they write their volumes on the second Civil War?

Edited by Dave Kopperman on 23 August 2017 at 6:57pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 17 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version