Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: Visiting Calgary in February 2016 (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 November 2015 at 5:19pm | IP Logged | 1  

Hello guys. When I was a teenager I purchased a small booklet about immigration to Canada and I still have it with my comic books. One of the reasons made me interested in Canada was Alpha Flight. I was really into John Byrne art and, knowing that he was from Canada, it made me even more interested in knowing that country. Time passed by and, now that my country is melting, I am thinking about living overseas and Calgary is one destination that seems interesting to raise my son. So, I decided to visit and see it with my own eyes. Family is coming with me, so I will be there for almost the whole month of February. I want to see how cold it is and was hoping that my fellow JBF members could provide suggestions of things to do, places to visit, nice neighborhoods to get acquainted with (if we decide to move forward). Would really appreciate if John Byrne could provide some suggestions of places to visit and things to do in Feb. Thanks.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 November 2015 at 5:56pm | IP Logged | 2  

Calgary today bears little resemblance to the city I (mostly) grew up in. Three times the population and a heckuva lot more urban sprawl!

Not sure what I can recommend yo check out. If this is really a Byrne Specific visit, you can pay a visit to the SAIT campus, and check out the Alberta College of Art and Design -- tho when I was there the name was shorter and it was in a different building!

If you wander down to the "new" City Hall you can find my Dad's name on the dedication placque. He was one of the movers and shakers who got it built!

Mostly, tho, just enjoy the city and the surroundings. The Rockies are incredible! I still miss them.

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 November 2015 at 6:15pm | IP Logged | 3  

Thanks a lot John Byrne. In a way, it may be a Byrne Specific visit. Your art made me interested in Canada, and knowing your father was involved with the community makes me think about that story on how people have so much influence in the life of others... even when they have never planned for it to happen...
Thanks again.

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 November 2015 at 7:33am | IP Logged | 4  

It is a 2 hour drive from Calgary, but the Royal Tyrell Museum in Drumheller is probably the world's finest dinosaur museum.

You must go see a Calgary Flames NHL hockey game. Nothing like that in Brazil I would think!

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 November 2015 at 7:50am | IP Logged | 5  

Bring a good, warm coat.

Bert Kruger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 November 2015 at 12:25pm | IP Logged | 6  

Like JB said the Rockies are breath taking and if you want to get real close to them you should take a drive to Banff and spend a day or 2.

Martinho Correia
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 November 2015 at 3:50pm | IP Logged | 7  

Marcio - Calgary is a great place to live and raise a family but not the most interesting city to visit. Like everyone says, get out in the city to see the Rockies. 
To get a feel of the city, spend sometime downtown (during the day - it becomes a ghost town at night). Check out the Glenbow Museum, City Hall, the Central Library, Stephen Avenue mall and the surrounding stores. Be sure to visit the Devonion Gardens. 
During the evening 17th Ave and 4th Street SW is the area with many bars and restaurants. Inglewood is a nice place to visit on a Saturday.
The rest of the city is pretty much suburban and is one of the largest area wise in North America. Neighbourhoods are all pretty self-sufficient with restaurants, big box stores and recreation centers. Lower priced housing tends to be in the northeast and more expensive towards the west. Do some research and just drive around some neighbourhoods to get a feel.
February is pretty cold. It can be minus 40 C. Good news is we have Chinook winds which can warm the city up into the mid teens and makes the winter a bit more bearable.
I will be around in February and would be happy to meet up with you. 
Falo algumas Português também.

Edited by Martinho Correia on 24 November 2015 at 3:51pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Paul Gibney
Byrne Robotics Member.

Posted: 24 November 2015 at 4:19pm | IP Logged | 8  

February is probably the worst month to be in Calgary; it's usually too cold to get outside to really see much.
We do have a number of comic shops and places of interest, though. I know one Brazilian who moved here, and she admits she was amazed by the cold winters. Be warned.

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 November 2015 at 4:42pm | IP Logged | 9  

Marcio, if you want a warmer climate, the Vancouver/Victoria area is much more temperate than the rest of Canada. A winter in Alberta might be a shock for you. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 November 2015 at 7:17am | IP Logged | 10  

Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate all your comments and suggestions! I understand that Calgary is really cold at this time of the year, but we want to "experience" that for the first time in our lives. In Brazil we don't have snow (except for 2 or three small towns for one or two days every couple of years and it becomes a national event).
The idea is to expose my family to that atmosphere and have them decide if it is something we can live with.
Peter, I watched a hockey game between leafs x New Jersey ??? back in 2008 when I visited Toronto for the first time. So, I definitely want to see another game and bring my son with me. 

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 November 2015 at 7:19am | IP Logged | 11  

Martinho, seria ótimo poder encontrar alguém e falar português nesse período. Meu email é mfdiogo@gmail.com, se tiver disponibilidade podemos encontrar para comer alguma coisa ou uma loja de quadrinhos.

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 November 2015 at 7:21am | IP Logged | 12  

Peter, I really want to see the Royal Tyrell Museum in Drumheller, but I am concerned about driving in could temperatures and snow, since I never done before. Banff is certainly on the top of the list, but I feel I might take a bus.

Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version