Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Question for Mr. Byrne about 1983 output (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 August 2011 at 12:38pm | IP Logged | 1  

I just came across this blog posting:
  http://marvel1980s.blogspot.com/2011/01/1983-john-byrnes-stu nning-output.html in which you state that the way you structured your scheduled allowed you to produce 60 pages of art a month. I am just curious what a typical day was like for you back then and wondering what your page output is like today. Thanks in advance.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 August 2011 at 1:16pm | IP Logged | 2  

That was when I was still able to produce 3 pages per day. So 60 pages a month is not really all that impressive, given that the average month has 22 working days. Where are those other six pages??

My day then was the same as it is now -- start work by 8am, break for luch around noon, for an hour, back to the board at 1, finish the day at 4pm.

It's more about focusing on the work, tho, than anything else. No distractions in the Studio -- no radio, no music, and most especially no TV!! Also, I have found that the earlier I start, the more I get done in less time. Those mornings when I find myself wide awake at 3am, my whole day is usually done by 8.

Over the years, I have joked about trying to figure out how early I would have to start so that I did not actually have to do ANY work. Of course, I would have to be careful -- too early, and yesterday's pages might start to disappear!

(Note to Freelancers: "Yesterday's pages disappeared" is NOT a viable excuse for missing your deadlines!)

Back to Top profile | search

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 August 2011 at 2:29pm | IP Logged | 3  

One of the things I find most fascinating about JB's work ethic is that his current output will soon include Michael Swann, Aftermath, and some mysterious (ongoing?) series with no ties to either of those series. And, if his most recent output on Trek, Jurassic Park, Angel, and Next Men is any indication, it'll all be GREAT. 

Three titles, one man doing the pencils, inks, script, covers... 

I have to ask, JB, (tentatively) what does the next year look like on your drawing board? You've already stated in the Cold War thread that you're working on issue 3 of that series, so that covers most of August 2011. What does September hold, and so on...?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Martinho Correia
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 August 2011 at 3:50pm | IP Logged | 4  

Thanks for sharing Mr. Byrne. All that in a seven hour work day. Wow. I know you have said before it is all about the focus - not even music. 
I ask because I am about to embark on self - employment painting full - time and am a little nervous about not getting enough done.
Another artist who produces a lot is James Gurney. When working on Dinotopia he was finishing a painting in 3 days, from conception through to finished work.The blog entry is here:

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 August 2011 at 3:53pm | IP Logged | 5  

The rest of the year will be the rest of the first COLD WAR arc and, assuming the book doesn't crash and burn, shortly thereafter I will start the second ("The Seven Cardinals Contract"). Very likely get most of that wrapped before the end of 2011. Interspersed with that will be the first few issues of AFTERMATH, which is currently slated for 10 issues.

After AFTERMATH, the "mystery project" starts, probably around this time next year.

And, of course, there will continue to be the private commissions. About ten of those presently on The List, with new ones being added about on a weekly basis.

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 August 2011 at 3:58pm | IP Logged | 6  

. About ten of those presently on The List, with new ones being added about on a weekly basis.

Nice!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 August 2011 at 4:26pm | IP Logged | 7  

Very cool! Thanks for answering, JB!

I'm interested in seeing where all these varying projects go. Thinking back the last couple of years, there was the all-pencil Angel series, the 3D ship-modeling in Star Trek, and now with the variant covers for Cold War a different style and technique yet again.

I can't wait to see how and where you push yourself next!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Dale Lerette
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 August 2011 at 6:31pm | IP Logged | 8  

Thanks for sharing that JB. I really appreciate you sharing these valuable practices and insights into the comics field. They make for some great advice for anyone who seriously wants to enter the comics industry. 

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

David Henriot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 August 2011 at 11:59pm | IP Logged | 9  

"Only" seven hours a day ? With all the stuff produced ?
I always knew Byrne were twins .

Roger A Ott II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 August 2011 at 8:09am | IP Logged | 10  

JB wrote:
It's more about focusing on the work, tho, than anything else. No distractions in the Studio -- no radio, no music, and most especially no TV!!

As someone who has just entered the freelancing world in the last couple years, I keep this in mind every morning when I sit down to start my day.  It works wonders for getting stuff done in a timely fashion.

With kids home for the summer, that makes it a little bit harder because they can't seem to help but distract me sometimes.  So, I tend to break up my workday to early morning for a few hours (before they get up) and then a few hours later in the evening (after they've gone to bed).  One of the great benefits of being a freelancer is being able to adapt your schedule.  Even so, I always make sure I put in the amount of time I need to get the job done.

JB's work ethic is a daily inspiration.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 13 August 2011 at 8:49am | IP Logged | 11  

For the first several years after I got married, my studio space became large alcoves off the living room, or the dining room, which presented certain problems in terms of controlling my work day. I had to impress on people that the fact that there was no door did not mean a literal "open door" policy, and that when I was sitting gazing off into space, or staring out the window, that was NOT a good time to ask me to mow the lawn or take out the garbage. I was still WORKING.

Once I got a Studio with a door, things got somewhat easier. Door closed means I'm not home.

Chris Geary
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 August 2011 at 8:52am | IP Logged | 12  

I find that I get more done when I start earlier in the day. Generally I start at
6am and finish at some point between 2-3. Depends on how long my break
is for lunch. Which is usually between 10-11. If I start any later than 8 I
find it a real struggle to get the same amount of work done, even though I'll
finish later.

If I have any errands to do I tend to do them early afternoon. If I go out
after work everywhere's a bit busier as there's loads of school kids, or
parents on school runs.
If I've got a few things to do I sometimes take a day off in the week, as
shops are quieter, and then work on the weekend.

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version