Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 12 Next >>
Topic: JBF ART CHALLENGE (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 September 2006 at 6:46pm | IP Logged | 1  

Earlier today I was re-reading "the New Warriors" vol. 1 issue 34 pencilled by Darick Robertson.  I really enjoy his artwork and got to thinking how might the issue have looked if drawn by Mark Bagley, had he not left the book.  Based on the script, would the layout of the pages be much different, as well as the poses of the characters?  And then I really got to thinking, how cool it would it be if here, through this very forum, the artists in the audience are given a chance to draw a 1-2 page scene based on an idea by Mr. Byrne himself.  Obviously the story/scene would need to involve characters (heroes and villians) already established so that everyone would know them, and when the artworks are completed they can be posted here for all to see, giving us a chance to see multiple sides of a coin, so to say.  What do you think?

Edited by JohnByrne2 on 26 September 2006 at 5:40am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 24 September 2006 at 6:26am | IP Logged | 2  

Sounds like an excellent idea. I have often posed a "test" scene for artist, to see if they have a grasp of the efficiency of comicbook storytelling. (Do they blow up a planet in a single page, or do they have someone take nine panels to fall out of bed?) Let's add a twist to this, tho. Via the so-called "Marvel Method", the artist is given a plot, sometimes detailed, sometimes very sparse, which s/he fleshes out as much as needed. At the same time Stan Lee was making this approach all his own, over at DC editors like Julie Schwartz were commissioning covers, and then calling in writers to come up with stories to go with them. Combining these two approaches, here's how I suggest we play this game: Come up with the two pages that immediately precede this "cover scene" --

http://www.byrnerobotics.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=14464 &KW=war+is+heck

Let's see what you think the Skull's war machine looks like!

Back to Top profile | search

Trevor Krysak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 September 2006 at 6:31am | IP Logged | 3  

To all the brave souls who take this challenge my hat's off to you. I'd do it but I'm sure we wouldn't want to see a drawing of a bunch of stick figures in a continuation of an excellent John Byrne action page.

I can't wait to see the results people come up with though. That's for sure.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 September 2006 at 7:30am | IP Logged | 4  

I hope that some of the guys who regularly contribute to the "...sketch book?" thread take up the challenge.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 24 September 2006 at 7:32am | IP Logged | 5  

...a bunch of stick figures in a continuation of an excellent John Byrne action page.

Since we've all seen how this works in countless other threads, before Trevor's choice of words sends everybody stampeding away in different directions, let me jump in here to once again say the challenge is to draw the two pages that go before the "cover shot", not that are a "continuation" of it.

Trevor Krysak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 September 2006 at 7:34am | IP Logged | 6  

Oops. Sorry to potentially lead people off track JB. Still waking up I guess. Yeah. That's it. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 24 September 2006 at 7:34am | IP Logged | 7  

Oh -- and NO CONSULTATIONS WITH EACH OTHER! Those of you who are in regular, or even irregular communication, don't "compare notes" on how to deal with this. Each answer to the challenge must stand on its own.

Trevor Krysak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 September 2006 at 8:28am | IP Logged | 8  

Any sort of time limit on this for the interested parties? Or will this be more of an ongoing thing?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 24 September 2006 at 8:59am | IP Logged | 9  

Threads lock automatically if two weeks go by
without activity, so let's let this one just run its
course.

Didier Yvon Paul Fayolle
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 September 2006 at 9:15am | IP Logged | 10  

interesting...

Back to Top profile | search | www

Sam Houston
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 September 2006 at 1:37pm | IP Logged | 11  

John:

I'm glad to see a positive response to this idea and I am especially glad to see that you have chosen Captain America as the subject.  Growing up, both he and the Thing were my favorite heroes, and then when you worked on their books (F.F. in reference to the Thing) they really became top notch!

I wish all those who are going to participate the best and I look forward to your interpretations.  "Artists Assemble"!

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Stéphane Garrelie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2006 at 11:50am | IP Logged | 12  

Come back little thread, work is still in progress but we don't want to lose you.

Page of 12 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version