Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 37 Next >>
Topic: Marvel Now-Captain America-WOW! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2012 at 8:27am | IP Logged | 1  

When mark Gruenwald wrote the title Captain America had a
computer bulletin board set up for people to contact him.
Fairly modern for the day.
Back to Top profile | search

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2012 at 11:07am | IP Logged | 2  

One of the odder things about Cap's return was that right from the start he was written as an OLDER man. Stan would have him calling people "son" and generally expressing himself as if he was pushing 40. Yet if we did the math, he was likely not much over 25 when he went into the ice. Certainly he was short of 30.

It all sprang, no doubt, from Stan's wish to give the character the proper degree of gravitas, but even as a kid I sometimes wondered why Cap talked like he was an OLD GUY.

When I first heard about plans to do a Captain America movie, that was one of the things that concerned me. Cap has to be young, but also has to project the presence of a veteran warrior and leader. That must be a difficult thing to cast.  

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Frank Stone
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2012 at 12:37pm | IP Logged | 3  

This new design is simply pathetic. In trying to make Captain America look like both a soldier and a superhero, they've succeeded in making him look like neither.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2012 at 1:15pm | IP Logged | 4  

That panel shows great respect for the character. I wish we could see more things like that. Not saying every issue should feature a cop crying when he sees Cap, but there are other ways respect could be shown.

Brennan Voboril
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2012 at 1:16pm | IP Logged | 5  

That's not Captain America to me.  The Captain America I know is the one of Joe Simon and Jack Kirby and the one Stern and Byrne did so well.  Makes me sad to see our legends and heroes being changed like this.  

All Mod Cons (JB reminded me of that term).

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 28 July 2012 at 1:17pm | IP Logged | 6  

I love the notations on the last picture: "Flap folds over to protect shin, attaches with Velcro."

I'm sure that's enormously valuable information to have when writing and drawing a comic book.  Wouldn't want to have a scene of Captain America putting his boots on wrong!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Neil Brauer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2012 at 1:59pm | IP Logged | 7  

A character that has gone into battle with Galactus has armor held on with Velcro.

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2012 at 4:03pm | IP Logged | 8  

One of the odder things about Cap's return was that right from the start
he was written as an OLDER man. Stan would have him calling people
"son" and generally expressing himself as if he was pushing 40. Yet if
we did the math, he was likely not much over 25 when he went into the
ice. Certainly he was short of 30.

SER: I sometimes liken it to how in old movies, even a young (early
30s) Cary Grant is just more wordly, sophisticated, and well-mannered
than a lot of the "overgrown boys" of that age now. If magically
transported to the present day, he might call the scruffy kid in blue
jeans at the coffe shop as "son" because he can't possibly be in his late
30s, right?

Tangentially, it's amazing how long they kept Cap's 1960s post-ice
origin. There were stories in the mid-1980s that referred to Cap
experiencing and living through Vietnam.

JB had mentioned how at one point with Marvel time, Cap's revival
would have been just after 9/11. It's interesting to imagine what his
reaction would be to how the U.S. of that period responded to crisis vs.
how his generation did.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 July 2012 at 6:34pm | IP Logged | 9  

I love the notations on the last picture: "Flap folds over to protect shin, attaches with Velcro."

I'm sure that's enormously valuable information to have when writing and drawing a comic book. Wouldn't want to have a scene of Captain America putting his boots on wrong!

••

It makes me wonder how many times the readers are going to be shown Captain America's version of Iron Man's first TALES OF SUSPENSE cover. Every issue?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 July 2012 at 6:37pm | IP Logged | 10  

JB had mentioned how at one point with Marvel time, Cap's revival would have been just after 9/11. It's interesting to imagine what his reaction would be to how the U.S. of that period responded to crisis vs. how his generation did.

••

When I watched the first episode of the updated SHERLOCK series, from the BBC, I was struck by the fact that Dr. Watson had just been invalided home from Afghanistan ---- just as he had been in the original novel a century earlier!

It is perhaps telling -- and very sad -- that the panel of Cap and the cop has a similar place in Marvel lore. A decade has not gone by since Captain America returned that that panel could not be used.

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2012 at 7:04pm | IP Logged | 11  

Isn't the point of Captain America to be a living anachronism?

••

I wouldn't phrase it like that. To borrow a line from TOP GEAR, Cap's function is to "remind us of a time when we really were as great as we still think we are."

But he isn't Marvel's version of the Beverly Hillbillies, never figuring out what a doorbell is.

I hear ya.  I was thinking more along the lines of a wild-eyed wonder and enthusiasm at all the new technological devices yet at the same time Cap would instinctively grok these things like the brilliant tactician he is.

That new costume though looks like what some artist at an upstart comic book company would come up with as their own take on Cap without violating any copyrights.

All of the redesigns take the route that function (or perceived function) in the characters clothing makes the character more 'real'.  All of these designs are basically honing in on a humdrum military uniform painted red white and blue and in the process the costume loses what made it special in the first place.

Bill Guerra
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2012 at 7:21pm | IP Logged | 12  

In my head, I've always viewed CAPTAIN AMERICA as being the one superhero that the general public, especially the older crowd, would always look up to and/or trust. Kind of like Cap is seen as the one definite straight arrow that the public knows won't turn on them or purposely misguide them. 

I've always liked scenes where something bad is happening and some random civilain shouts, "Where's Captain America?". (not in some ironic or mocking fashion, but in a hopeful way)

Again, thats just how I see Captain America in my head.

<< Prev Page of 37 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version